OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 12:58:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OC.net Eastern Winterfest  (Read 1574 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« on: November 18, 2003, 08:49:24 AM »

Just a quick update on the OC.net Eastern Winterfest. Yes I know that no one else knows anything about it, but due to the logistics of putting up anybody else at my house and the expense involved in getting to Greece in the first place, it was decided to keep this fairly low key Wink

Oblio arrived on Saturday afternoon (first day of the nativity fast) as a short stopover on his way back from some work in Jerusalem. The evening was spent planning a basic itinerary for the next few days. Sunday morning we headed off to Divine liturgy at our church (Ascension of Christ) from 7am til 10:15am after which we drove my kids over to the church of Saint Menas where they go for Sunday School. Saint Menas is built on the site where the Apostle Paul first preached to the people of Thessaloniki.

After we picked my children up, we got some lunch on the road (McDonalds in Greece have a few fasting items on the menu) and headed out to the Convent of the Annunciation near Ormylia in Halkidiki. We arrived in time to catch the end of Vespers, so were priviledged to here the beautiful chanting of the nuns. After vespers we sat down and chatted over Greek coffee with a lovely nun from Cyprus, a Greek-American woman from Athens and a German journalist who had come to do a story on the monastery despite the Abbess denying their request ( their letter arrived in Germany after the journalist had already left). As is usual, we were the last to leave, the sisters patiently reminding us that the monastery was now in fact closed (they close at 4pm), so reluctantly we made our way down through the olive trees to the car park.

Our next destination, the Monastery of Saint Arsenios near the village of Vatopedi, was not due to open for the afternoon until 5pm, So we decided to see if we could find the Convent of John the Forerunner near the village of Metamorphosi. We found it without difficulty and were lucky enough to arrive during Vespers (as this monastery remains open until sunset), so we stood in the church, lit only by a few candles as the sun was already low in the sky and very little sunlight made it into the church and let the beautiful chanting of the nuns wash over us. Oblio was already managing to pick out certain words in Greek which enabled him to determine roughly where we were in the service, despite knowing little Greek apart from "Kyrie eleison" and "Doxa Patri...". Afterwards we again sat down for coffee though we did not stay for long as we wanted to get to the beginning of Vespers at Saint Arsenios.

We arrived shortly after Vespers had begun so quickly made our way to the church which by this stage was only lit by candle light as the sun had already set. At the end of the service we went forward to venerate the icons and relics of Saint Arsenios and Saint Nicholas Planas then made our way downstairs to the Archondariki and the small shop to buy some books, icons and charcoal powder. We were able to spend a little while talking to Father Serapheim, a lovely young monk who spoke excellent English before finally heading off for home. Oblio was doing extremely well considering he had to wake up at 3am to catch his flight from Jerusalem the previous day.

Monday was a public holiday in Greece, so Oblio and I went to the pilgrim bureau for Mount Athos to book a seat on the ferry boat for Wednesday. After that we went up to the church of Saint Demetri to venerate his holy myhrr streaming relics. Even though they had opened the larnaca a couple of weeks before (during which they soak up the myhrr in cotton wool to distribute it to the faithful) the smell of myhrr was still as strong as ever. Afterwards we visited the Rotonda (Saint George) then headed home for lunch where Oblio had his first taste of octopus. In the evening, while my wife Francie took our daughters to swimming lessons, Oblio and I took my 15 month old son and went to a service of Holy Unction at our church from 5pm until 7:30pm.

I had to go back to work today, so Oblio is on his own visiting the churches and monasteries in the centre of Thessaloniki. Hopefully he will manage to visit the church of Holy Wisdom, the church of Saint David, the Church of Saint Gregory Palamas where his relics lie,  the monastery of Saint Theodora where the relics of saints Theodora and David lie, the churches of Saint Panteleimon, Saint Haralambos and a few others whose names I cannot remember just now. This afternoon we hope to visit the monastery out at Souroti where the grave of Father Paisios is found and the relics of Saint Arsenios.

Tomorrow morning Oblio and I will take the bus to Ouranoupoli where he will take the ferry boat to Mount Athos. I had planned to have him go to the monastery of Saint Panteleimon (russian) as it is one of the stops the ferry boat makes, but it turns out they have no room for any more visitors so I have been frantically calling the other monasteries to ensure he has somewhere to eat and sleep tomorrow night Shocked. He is now booked in at Iviron for one night. After that he is in the hands of Panagia until he comes back on Sunday Grin

I'm wondering about starting up Prodromos tours Wink. What do you think?  Grin
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 09:11:35 AM »

Sounds like it was great trip.  When I have plans to go to Greece I will contact you Smiley

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 02:27:49 PM »

ooo man I'm jealous!!

Sounds like you guys are having a blast!!!

Bobby
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 03:21:27 PM »

Yeah, it sounds more Orthodox than Summerfest.  Tongue

Please ask Oblio to keep us in his prayers if you get a chance, Prodromos.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 01:29:43 AM »

WOW!

WOW!

WOW!

How awesome!

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 09:06:13 AM »

I'm just heading off to drive Oblio to the airport. Hopefully in a few days he will post his own report on his experience (remember, he was in Jerusalem just prior to coming to Greece)

Bon voyage!

John.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 10:36:34 AM »

John,

Any photos?  I can't wait to hear Oblio's p.o.v.  We need to remember to pray for his safe return.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 02:49:37 PM »

Alas, no photos. We simply didn't get around to it. Oblio did take a few pictures while on Mount Athos though, so hopefully he will post some (and Jerusalem too).

In retrospect I should have made my eldest daughter official photographer and let her do her worst Grin. I'm sure there would have been plenty of decent pictures that way.

Whoever comes next be sure to remind me, OK?

John.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 05:14:59 PM »

Dear Oblio,

Will we be hearing an account from you about your experiences on Mt. Athos, hopefully with pictures, any time soon?  Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2003, 05:31:21 PM »

Soon, I hope.  I'm about done procrastinatin' Smiley
Still have to develop film.  A pity I could not capture the Vigil at Vatopediou on film or audio.
phool 4 XC

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2003, 11:14:13 PM »

I bought a digital camera for my trip this past summer, and between a week in Qessaloniki and a week on Agion OroV, I took a few pics.

Next time I'm in the city we'll have to get together for coffee.  Except for the evening breeze off the bay, it is a gorgeous place!!  I didn't make it to Agios Menas or Ossios David, but the Church of Acheiropoietos is right up there with Holy Wisdom and St. Demetrius in my list of churches to visit again.

I'm starting to make plans to spend most of the summer of 2005 on the Holy Mountain.  God willing I'll be at Iviron for the Feast of the Dormition, and then head home.

- a phool
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 11:17:42 PM by phool 4 XC » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: