OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 10:37:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic Success in Europe  (Read 1231 times) Average Rating: 0
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« on: July 13, 2009, 10:40:46 PM »

In Europe, the Oriental church (especially under the Coptic Patriarch of Alexandria, HH Pope Shenoudah) have had success in Europe, with autonomous churches in both Britain and France. Sadly, there is as of yet no EO autonomous Church of England/Britain/the Isles, etc, no Church of France, nor of Germany, etc.

My question is simple enough. What is the OOC doing differently in the West? I know that this isn't just a 'diaspora church'.

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:57:54 PM »

All I can say is Pope Shenouda is amazing.   Smiley

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 11:00:41 PM »

Now if only they could set up something in Alaska and Mississippi...
 Smiley

Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:07:06 PM »

Ideal situation: EO/OO reunion, and then there's been a big leap in western evangelism because there are canonical (to both sides) churches in two european countries. This would make jurisdictional problems so much easier...

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:07:57 PM »

And yes, Pope Shenoudah is pretty amazing.

sodr2

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

القديس الانبا رويس

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »

My church in Canada is currently building a new one to relocate Smiley)))))

"Happiness depends on the relationship between man and God." Pope Shenouda III
Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 11:33:21 PM »

what province are you in? btw what are the main OO churches here in canada?

sodr2

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

القديس الانبا رويس

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 11:41:09 PM »

I'm in Ontario (Durham region to be exact).

Perhaps you may find this link helpful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Coptic_Orthodox_Churches_in_Canada

The biggest one is St. Mary and St. Athanasius in Mississauga. Then there's St. Mark in Scarborough, which was actually the first Coptic church in North America. Many more.

I lived in New Brunswick where there was mass only once a month because the priest lived in Montreal! Shocked

"Happiness depends on the relationship between man and God." Pope Shenouda III
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 07:23:09 PM »

In Europe, the Oriental church (especially under the Coptic Patriarch of Alexandria, HH Pope Shenoudah) have had success in Europe, with autonomous churches in both Britain and France. Sadly, there is as of yet no EO autonomous Church of England/Britain/the Isles, etc, no Church of France, nor of Germany, etc.

My question is simple enough. What is the OOC doing differently in the West? I know that this isn't just a 'diaspora church'.

The autonomous churches of Britain and France were (although OO Syriac in origin) schismatic bodies which were later accepted into communion with the Coptic Orthodox Church. They were not part of the Coptic Church's missionary strategy in Europe as such.

Why is the Coptic Church so appealing (despite being very much a 'diaspora church')? Because Christian Egyptians are among the most hospitable, welcoming and charitable people you will ever meet. True Christian charity renders any cultural obstacle almost insignificant.
Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 05:41:51 PM »

AMEN! I hope all Orthodox can learn that. People still have misperseptions in the west...a BBC reporter actually reported that the EP is "the leader of Orthodox Christians who are not Greek or Russian". And don't even mention the OO  Churches. Apart from the copts, barely anyone knows the Oriental churches...the Ethiopians, the Malankara, the Armenians...it is a crime of ignorance. What is the OO church doing to help evangelise the west. The 'Erkohet' site is pretty good, but are there any OO evangelism organizations like Ancient Faith Radio or the Orthodox Mission center for the EO Churches in North America.

I pray that one day the Gospel will be brought again to the west. I love this site on Orthodox Europe. http://www.orthodoxengland.org.uk/zeurope.htm

Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church British Orthodox Church missions 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: