OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 02:47:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need your prayers again  (Read 1446 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« on: July 13, 2009, 09:39:03 AM »

I once again need prayers from other Orthodox Christians.

Several things are going on in my life, issues with a family member who I may have to cut myself off from, my continuing problems with video games and the problem of only being able to attend church once a week. As well as the problem of trying to get a prayer life going again. The problem of having to buy a new car. All of these are starting to really wear on me and break me down.

I hope I can get out of this soon and be back up and feeling better. Just a month and I will be back at my spiritual home. Hopefully I can make it till then without breaking down...
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:16:37 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Devin, just like any addiction...get the substance out of your home.  So, get rid of the video games.  If the temptation is not easily accessible, you are more likely to not give in to temptation.  It will take a few miserable weeks, but, then you will desire to play them less and less!

Substitute the games with some other "fun" activity.  I would recommend reading scripture, but, even reading a mystery novel.  Something that will interest you and pull your mind from the games.

As for family members, well we've all got at least one rotten apple in our bushel.  If they are not "good" for you, then just back off nicely.  Don't burn bridges, but, nowhere does it say you have to be friends with your relatives (unless they are parents - whom you have to respect even if you keep them at a healthy distance.)

Mostly, don't stress about it.  It will all work out in time.  Relax.  Deep breath.  Even short prayers will set your mind at ease.

God always helps those who turn to Him with honest faith and desire.

May the Good Lord help you through your difficulties.

Lord, have mercy.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 11:49:03 AM »

Lord, have mercy!
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 12:00:20 PM »

Lord, have mercy!  We at St. Thomas look forward to your return!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 12:10:43 PM »

Lord Have Mercy! Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 12:23:06 PM »

Excellent advice Liza!  Smiley

Lord have mercy on thy servant Devin!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 06:32:06 PM »

Lord have mercy!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:58:44 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 08:09:51 PM »

Will do. + + + angel

Hey! Ever Read the Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky? Throw the games away and use you dvd player for a movie and some popcorn, then pick up your prayer rope and count.

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 08:57:42 PM »

Thanks for all the prayers and advice!

I have tried to start playing the guitar, been doing well but had to replace all the old strings with new steel strings, now it's impossible to play most of the songs w/o getting bad blisters all over my fingers, and when I do play, i get a buzzing noise when I strum chords, or the sound simply is bad when I try to play.
I was going to order an electric guitar, but apparently my parents moved all my money to a savings account so the IRS & bank would stop withdrawing large amounts of cash. So I won't be able to get it until probably next week, if not late this week.

We have plenty of books here, my dad has sort of a library, but no books by Russian authors, and of course, I have the only Orthodox ones. Plenty of fiction books but I try to stay away from fiction because I feel like it does the same thing as video games for me and I just get stuck in a fantasy world again. Or, as my favorite series were Star Wars Expanded Universe books, I would be tempted to go back and play the many Star Wars video games i've had.

I probably ought to try some other things for a bit. I've had some ideas on stuff to do, but haven't gotten to them yet.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:58:12 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 09:26:08 PM »

Kyrie Eleison
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 12:12:46 AM »

Lord have Mercy.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 09:28:36 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Love never fails.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 05:30:43 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up