OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 01:49:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodbye  (Read 3305 times) Average Rating: 0
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« on: July 12, 2009, 11:38:31 PM »

Dear OC.net people,

I feel that I am unable to stay on this Web forum. It's purpose is educational, I realize that; but there are some pretty important principle debates going here. I am generally a lousy debater, and I was never able to defend my points in a debate with people whose views I consider wrong. But I cannot just let these views be propagated "on my watch," so to say. So, I was trying to engage in debates, and failed, and tried again, and failed again. It was extremely hard on me emotionally, totally draining and depressing. Perhaps I should have tried to learn how to be more tolerant or compromising, but I haven't. All in all, I cannot maintain the status quo and I quit.

Those of you who, for whatever reason, would like to contact me, please feel free to write to my e-mail address, gpinchuk[at]as[dot]muw[dot]edu. If there is anything I can do for you, I will try. And I will most certainly pray for all of you always.

George

Edited email.

-- Nebelpfade
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:08:57 AM by Nebelpfade » Logged

Love never fails.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 11:42:58 PM »

I'll miss you, Professor.   Sad

Best wishes and may God be with you and your family.   Smiley

Amen.

Edited for proper grammar.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:57:50 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »

Please see my PM.
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 11:51:54 PM »

You shouldn't leave.  I've recently had some disagreements with you but in spite of that I find it refreshing you are willing to open up about your convictions, even if I think some of them are wrong. 

See, you should have never looked back at that thread!  Wink

Seriously, stick around, it's good for us all.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 11:54:40 PM »

Heorhij,

As you know from your experience on other forums (and dealing with people in general), you simply cannot control what people believe or will say.  Often times it is genuinely frustrating, but that's life.  Why do you feel the need to 'win' every debate?  Why do you feel every disagreement is a 'debate'?   And as a moderator, I thought you were simply charged to keep things on topic and not necessarily defend any particular viewpoint.  I respect your decision to leave friend, but I am disappointed.  Never-the-less, I truly wish you the best in your endeavors and may God grant you and your family many years.

Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 12:01:48 AM »

Brate ...Please don't Leave stay ,we have much to learn from your wisdom....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 12:02:46 AM »

Please reconsider. You're one of the good ones.  Smiley

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 12:09:50 AM »

George, I have only been on thid site for a little while. In that time I have found your wit to be insightful and a breath of fresh air. Though we may not always agree, I consider you a friend (unknown) because I know that if we ever met in person, we would be. - go in peace if you must go. but you will be missed. - + SimplyGermain

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 12:10:42 AM »

George don't leave us!! 

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 12:16:02 AM »

Honestly, I cannot blame you at all George.  Countless times I have felt my blood pressure shoot up over certain threads.  :-P

If things have caused you emotion or spiritual stress, especially when it is on the Internet, it is often best to just remove yourself from it, either temporarily or permanently.

I have always really enjoyed your posts, the knowledge and charity which emanate from them.  Hopefully you will reconsider, but you know best.

All the best!  Lord, have mercy!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 12:54:14 AM »

I hope that you will reconsider, Heohij, and I hope that nothing I wrote caused you any upset. 

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 01:04:33 AM »

Honestly, I cannot blame you at all George.  Countless times I have felt my blood pressure shoot up over certain threads.  :-P

If things have caused you emotion or spiritual stress, especially when it is on the Internet, it is often best to just remove yourself from it, either temporarily or permanently.

I have always really enjoyed your posts, the knowledge and charity which emanate from them.  Hopefully you will reconsider, but you know best.

All the best!  Lord, have mercy!

I agree. If one isn't enjoying the experience, I think it's best to remove oneself from debates; especially those that aren't ever going to go anywhere. This kind of thing can be very draining and spiritually distressing. From what I know of you, I can see this isn't a question of you leaving because you haven't "won the day", it's a question of wishing to safe-guard your equilibrium. I hope that you will reconsider and return to us when you are able.

For what it's worth, I always have seen you as one of those people who drinks deeply from the fountain of knowledge, while others just stand there and gargle.  Tongue angel laugh

God be with you and your family. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:06:53 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 01:10:28 AM »

You will be missed.  Godspeed!
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 01:18:15 AM »

I've sent Heorhij a private e-mail but I want to go on public record and say that I shall miss him a lot and I hope he has a small break and then reconsiders.  God bless you.

Hieromonk Ambrose
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 02:11:03 AM »

God bless you George! People often suggest that text poorly conveys the reality of people's characters and personalities. But in your case, the graceful rivers of kindness, gentleness, and sincere love that stream from your posts drown this general truism and allow one to say: yes, truly, this is a good and righteous man.

All the best!

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 07:28:22 AM »

The another one longtime poster named George, who stopped posting :/

As I was one of the people, who disagreed with you on some matters I ask you to reconcider your decision and come back to the forum. The fact that we have different opinions, and mine can be wrong, doesn't make I do not respect you and do not want to read you posts anymore.

I'm just a rebellious teenager and my knowledge cannot be compared to the one of PhD in Biology's (I'm sorry if I've messed your rank).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:34:27 AM by mike » Logged
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 08:41:14 AM »

God bless and perhaps reconsider your decision. I notice many of you are already extremely busy individuals and perhaps may end up suffering a less severe (but still serious) form of burnout. Maybe just spend less overall time but a select quality time here and you may feel better and not consumed.

Antiochian OC N.A.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 08:59:34 AM »

For what it's worth, I second the motion for George not to completely throw in the towel. We need diversity of experience and opinion here, and George's bona fides in both categories are substantial.

I've been a member of this forum for more than 4 years. When burn out comes, it's best to just take a break for several weeks -- maybe even a few months. Eventually, you'll find your way back refreshed.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 09:01:07 AM »

Heorhij!

Say it ain't so! 

Your writings have always been an inspiration for so many!

Reconsider!

I think I can speak for all, that we truly enjoy your posts, and benefit from your knowledge.

Take a "vacation", but, don't forget to come back!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ironsiderodger

Faith: Interesting question...
Jurisdiction: n/a

St Eudocia- still in progress.

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 09:38:52 AM »

Heorhij!

Say it ain't so! 

Reconsider!

I think I can speak for all, that we truly enjoy your posts, and benefit from your knowledge.

I quite agree, several times I had to go back and reread, and while I realize his desire was not to debate, he more than deftly handled himself, and yet maintained dignity.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 11:00:21 AM »

Heorhij!

Say it ain't so! 

Reconsider!

I also agree...take some time off, but return, you're family.  Besides we can't lose another ukie... Wink

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 11:31:19 AM »

I would hope it would be a "see you soon."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 01:04:51 PM »

... If there is anything I can do for you, I will try. And I will most certainly pray for all of you always.

George

Brate,

More than once I was humbled by your ability to withstand my sharpest attacks and harsh tone with humility. I took a lessons from you.

May Arhistratig Mihajlo be your helper.

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 01:35:44 PM »

God bless you George! People often suggest that text poorly conveys the reality of people's characters and personalities. But in your case, the graceful rivers of kindness, gentleness, and sincere love that stream from your posts drown this general truism and allow one to say: yes, truly, this is a good and righteous man.

All the best!

Ekhristos Anesti said it much better than I ever could. Please do come back when you are ready.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 03:11:42 PM »

George,

I totally understand where you are coming from. I've had similar issues, which is why I've dialed down my participation here. It has worked for me---if leaving completely is the only thing that will work for you, I understand. When your charity or sanity is compromised, it is best to step away.

However, I will most certainly miss you here! You have always expressed yourself with thoughtful decency, and you were an asset to all discussions.

My best to you and your family. If you are ever up in Boston visiting your daughter, please look me up!

James
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 03:22:18 PM »

George,

I totally understand where you are coming from. I've had similar issues, which is why I've dialed down my participation here. It has worked for me---if leaving completely is the only thing that will work for you, I understand. When your charity or sanity is compromised, it is best to step away.

However, I will most certainly miss you here! You have always expressed yourself with thoughtful decency, and you were an asset to all discussions.

My best to you and your family. If you are ever up in Boston visiting your daughter, please look me up!

James

And be sure to stop by St. Andrew's Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Jamaica Plain. 

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 03:36:41 PM »

While I'm certainly sad to see you go, I totally understand.  I left here many moons ago after realizing that my participation here wasn't actually helping my spiritual life.  I did wander back and (I'd like to think) have learned how to better participate after some time away and some forced time in just reading and not actually posting.  In fact, I was lurking so much that a few of our beloved admins took notice and emailed me about it, asking me to come back.  I resisted then and, eventually, did return.

Enjoy your time away, friend and brother George, be it temporary or permanent.  Use it wisely and know that we all will certainly be praying for you.

God bless you!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 06:25:37 PM »

Don't leave forever, Heorhij!! Cry I love your insights and your sense of humor! Kiss

Myrrh23

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:26:17 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 11:25:37 PM »

Oh dear, George, this is too sad for words! I was gone most of the day and hadn't kept up with the latest on OC.net and now I've discovered this thread...I'm so sad, so sorry. If I've said something which upset  you, I am so sorry. It's a real problem-the older I get, the more set I  become in my opinions it seems-and that's not always good or easy to change. Cry Anyhow, you've be profoundly missed and I look forward to your return!! Thanks for all the good you've done in my life, George! All the best to you and your family...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 09:37:49 AM »

Dear folks,

I received a flood of messages with some great words about me. Thank you all, and forgive me my emotional outbursts. I will stay, but I will impose a kind of self-discipline on myself:

1. I will never post more than once a day, excluding messages on the Prayers' forum. Like my son-in-law's younger brother (18) wrote on his Facebook, if you see too much of me here, just tell me to get out of here and go study. Smiley

2. I will never engage in ANY debates over controversial issues, ever. That stuff is not for me. It is, again, very sad for me to see people holding views that I consider fatally, outrageously wrong; but I do not know how to deal with these people on the Internet, and all my attempts to do that have always been failures and total emotional self-drain. So, just to preserve more of myself for my family, friends, and students, I will simply keep my mouth shut.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:38:40 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 09:44:28 AM »

Grin

Glad that you have reconsidered!

Welcome back!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2009, 09:53:44 AM »

Welcome back!
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2009, 09:58:16 AM »

livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 10:04:29 AM »

2. I will never engage in ANY debates over controversial issues, ever. .

Never say Never! Wink

Welcome back!
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 10:13:17 AM »

Добро сто си се вратијо....Слава Богу....
Welcome Back, Glory to God....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 10:19:36 AM »

It's good to have you back, George.  Cheesy

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 11:09:41 AM »

I'm glad you have returned, Heorhij.   Smiley

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2009, 11:35:01 AM »

Wonderful!!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2009, 11:59:04 AM »

Silly Goose! Thanks for coming back...

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2009, 12:39:57 PM »

George

I'm happy that you have reconsidered. I lurk here mostly since I too find I get upset over some things. Any online forum can bring out the worst in us at times. Combine that with religion and it intensifies. Some of the debates on here affect you so deeply because your faith also runs so deeply. You probably don't know me from Adam, but I have always admired your posts. You have a very unique background which gives your posts a different viewpoint from others, which is much needed.

I believe you'll find your time here more enjoyable with the self imposed limits you mentioned. It has worked for me. Smiley

Michael

Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2009, 01:24:07 PM »

Indeed, it seems to me that most of us can relate to some of the things George (and others) have found frustrating. I believe the self-imposed restrictions are good, George. In fact, I found it a bit odd that there didn't seem to be a limit on how many posts a person could make to the forum on any single day. It seems to me that such a restriction could go a long way towards preventing "issues" from developing, particularly in heated threads. Just my two cents.

simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2009, 02:25:44 PM »

Indeed, it seems to me that most of us can relate to some of the things George (and others) have found frustrating. I believe the self-imposed restrictions are good, George. In fact, I found it a bit odd that there didn't seem to be a limit on how many posts a person could make to the forum on any single day. It seems to me that such a restriction could go a long way towards preventing "issues" from developing, particularly in heated threads. Just my two cents.
Interesting Douglas, This would give us time to cool off and rethink what we are about to say. - simplygermain

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2009, 10:22:53 PM »

Well, there are some very active or long threads that aren't ones that lead to people getting riled, such as the "Random Postings"  Wink, and other times when there are numerous threads that one might wish to respond to and they are on different topics.  It didn't seem odd to me that there wasn't a posting limit. 

<---------Then again, one might see that I've done some posting in my time.   Grin

If a post causes some, ummm "excitation" in me, I go away and do not respond immediately.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 10:23:50 PM by Ebor » Logged

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2009, 10:32:30 PM »

Welcome back...

Can't go wrong with a short & to the point one liner...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2009, 10:35:33 PM »

Woo hoo!  Glad you reconsidered!  laugh

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: