OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:50:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verses in the Quran which contradict Islam?  (Read 965 times) Average Rating: 0
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« on: July 12, 2009, 12:49:42 AM »

I am thinking specifically of of those parts of the quran which I have heard describe Abraham planning to sacrifice Issac, not Ishmael as Muslim tradition says, and also the part where Allah tells Muhammad to go and ask the 'people of the book' to see whether this revelation is of God or not. I can't find these verses in the Quran tho. Can anyone point them out?

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 09:17:21 AM »

The Quran doesn't identify the son.  The tradtitions contradict one another, the older ones saying Isaac, the latter ones Ishmael.

There are traditions about asking the people of the book, which were reversed when the Muslims didn't like the answers.  M.J. Kister wrote on this.  I'd give the references, but I haven't had my first cup and I'm getting the boys up for Church.  In shaa' Allah, I'll return to it.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 08:51:33 PM »

The  does anyone have examples (preferably Muslim documents) that show that the earlier and later traditions are different? Also, I believe I heard from a former Muslim on the Illumined Heart podcast (love that one) that it was actually in the quran, and that it says IN THE QURAN that Issac was to be sacrificed. I might be wrong on this.

I just looked at the surah in question, and as far as I can tell it speaks of a first son being born, Abraham having his dream, and then an angel stopping him, AND THEN Issac being born.

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Bowman

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 03:16:38 AM »

The Quran doesn't identify the son.  The tradtitions contradict one another, the older ones saying Isaac, the latter ones Ishmael.

There are traditions about asking the people of the book, which were reversed when the Muslims didn't like the answers.  M.J. Kister wrote on this.  I'd give the references, but I haven't had my first cup and I'm getting the boys up for Church.  In shaa' Allah, I'll return to it.

The authors of the Koran identify the Son as Isaac.

Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 04:02:46 AM »

I am thinking specifically of of those parts of the quran which I have heard describe Abraham planning to sacrifice Issac, not Ishmael as Muslim tradition says, and also the part where Allah tells Muhammad to go and ask the 'people of the book' to see whether this revelation is of God or not. I can't find these verses in the Quran tho. Can anyone point them out?

The story of Abraham's sacrice is related in Surah 37:101-107

The verses that ask Muhammad to go and consult the People of the Book:

If thou wert in doubt as to what We have revealed unto thee, then ask those who have been reading the Book from before thee: the Truth hath indeed come to thee from thy Lord: so be in no wise of those in doubt. (Surah 10:94)

But why do they come to thee for decision, when they have (their own) law before them? - therein is the (plain) command of God; yet even after that, they would turn away. For they are not (really) People of Faith. (Surah 5:43)

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 04:14:28 AM »

The  does anyone have examples (preferably Muslim documents) that show that the earlier and later traditions are different? Also, I believe I heard from a former Muslim on the Illumined Heart podcast (love that one) that it was actually in the quran, and that it says IN THE QURAN that Issac was to be sacrificed. I might be wrong on this.

I just looked at the surah in question, and as far as I can tell it speaks of a first son being born, Abraham having his dream, and then an angel stopping him, AND THEN Issac being born.

Unsurprisingly, Muhammad did not give Ishmael’s name when he related the story of Abraham’s sacrifice (Surah 37:102-107) even though most Muslim scholars tend to identify the child whom God asked Abraham to offer as Ishmael rather than Isaac. Traditional Islamic commentaries on this issue are far from accuracy, for Muhammad would have placed Ishmael in the verse below between Abraham and Isaac if he had agreed with the Islamic scholars in regard to the identity of the child mentioned in verses 102-103:

And We blessed him and Isaac. And of their seed are some who do good, and some who plainly wrong themselves. (Surah 37:113 Pickthall)

Taken from the appendix of the article entitled "Imran's Fatherhood-Part 2" http://www.answering-islam.org/authors/masihiyyen/imran_father2.html

More, the narrative in Surah 37 says that Abraham attempted to sacrifice his son that was born to him right after his departure from the land of his idolatrous father and folk:

And he said: Lo! I am going unto my Lord Who will guide me. My Lord! Vouchsafe me of the righteous. So We gave him tidings of a gentle son. And when (his son) was old enough to walk with him, (Abraham) said: O my dear son, I have seen in a dream that I must sacrifice thee. So look, what thinkest thou? He said: O my father! Do that which thou art commanded. Allah willing, thou shalt find me of the steadfast. (Surah 37:99-102)

According to Surah 19, this son was not Ishmael, but Isaac:

I shall withdraw from you and that unto which ye pray beside Allah, and I shall pray unto my Lord. It may be that, in prayer unto my Lord, I shall not be unblest. So, when he had withdrawn from them and that which they were worshipping beside Allah, We gave him Isaac and Jacob. Each of them We made a prophet. (Surah 19:48-49)

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 04:17:40 AM »

http://www.answering-islam.org/Index/I/ishmael.html
http://www.answering-islam.org/Shamoun/sacrifice.htm

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: