OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:25:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The need for continued dialogue between East and West  (Read 829 times) Average Rating: 0
carpo-rusyn
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: November 17, 2003, 01:19:30 PM »

Hello All

In another thread someone who identified themselves as an RC stated that he would leave this forum and advise all other RCs to do so as well.  He further stated that he'd advise those interested in dialogue with Orthodox not to come here as it is not a friendly place.

As an RC I find this to be a friendly place most of the time.  There have been times when some people who say they are Orthodox take what I see (just my opinion now) as cheap shots at the RCC.  Sometimes this is done  out of mean spiritedness but I think most times out of lack of knowledge.  Sometimes some of the things we RCs say about the Orthodox turn out the same way.  What is needed is not a "let's take our toys and go home" mentality.  We need to enter more into dialogue not monologue but dialogue.  

Speaking as an RC to fellow RCs our Pope has made it clear that he seeks reconciliation with the East and he has been among the first to admit and ask forgiveness for what the RCC has sometimes done to our brothers and sisters in the East.  Don't leave.  Hold vast to John Paul's vision.  Stay and entere more vigourously into a dialogue aimed at understanding and reconciliation.

Speaking as an RC to the Orthodox sometimes we get it wrong.  Sometimes through our ignorance we say the wrong things about your churches, our sister churches.  Don't put us off instead educate us.  Sometimes you say thing about the RCC that we find to be wrong and we respond in a sometimes not charitable manner (myself at times). Give us a little slack we like you get rather sensitive.

We are not talking dispassionately about economics here we are discussing faith something that is at the core of each of our beings no matter which way you cross yourself.  Let's not give up dialogue.  We may not and probably won't solve all the problems of East-West relations but we should strive to bring each other along in our common faith in Jesus Christ.

Mea Culpa
Carpo-Rusyn
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 02:46:38 PM »

CR,

This Forum is 99% friendly to Western Christians, and I can say that nobody has ever tried to convert me to Orthodoxy.

I rather be at this forum then the RC forums I have visited.

My spirituality has greatly been enhanced by membership here.

Pax Christi,
Slava Isusu Christu,

james

PS- Will gladly except all cash donations.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 05:54:27 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 04:07:54 PM »

James

I'd say it was more like 98% but I guess that's just my experience.

[and I can say that nobody has ever tried to convert me to Orthodoxy.]

Nobody's ever tried to convert me either.  My post was in reaction to a fellow RC saying he'd withdraw from the forum and advise other RCs to do likewise.  I made no inferences about people trying to convert RCs.  I mean it's an Orthodox forum they're entitled to try just don't resort to blanket statements and don't expect us RCs to sit back and not respond when someone gets something wrong and I don't think most of the Orhtodox participants would expect us to.

[My spirituality has greatly been enhanced by membership here.]

I very much agree.

CR

Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 04:53:01 PM »

I apologize if at any time if were to come off unfriendly.  I hold no grudges against Roman Catholics and am not one to make a blanket statement of calling them heretics.  There are heated debates for sure.  It would be nice to see us get off the subject of the papacy.  It seems to go around and around.

Discussing what is similar and shared may be an interesting discussion for a change.  This is not to be ecumenical, but to take a different approach.  What is different is obvious, it is discussed all the time.  What is similar?  Are the simularities more significant than the differences?  Why so?  Do the simularities matter at all? The simularities may be trivial or irrelevant?  How do we know?

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 05:15:27 PM »

Justinianus

[It would be nice to see us get off the subject of the papacy.  It seems to go around and around]

I very much agree.  Also it would be nice to get off the topic of liturgy.

[Discussing what is similar and shared may be an interesting discussion for a change.  This is not to be ecumenical, but to take a different approach.  What is different is obvious, it is discussed all the time.  What is similar?  Are the simularities more significant than the differences?  Why so?  Do the simularities matter at all? The simularities may be trivial or irrelevant?  How do we know?]

Very good idea.  I think it'd be a breath of fresh air.

Carpo-Rusyn

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: