OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 06:25:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dose the Serbian Orthodox church ?  (Read 2237 times) Average Rating: 0
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« on: July 10, 2009, 09:45:44 PM »

Use the new or old calander
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:46:00 PM by Altar Server » Logged

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:32:57 PM »

Old Calendar - unanimously atleast as far as I know. I'm on the west coast in the U.S. There may be some parishes that have been absorbed into the church from Western Rite Orthodoxy that maintained the New Calendar if that is what they were on, like ROCOR.

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:27:04 PM »

Thanks Smiley and sorry about the mispelling in the subject line

btw: I don't know if it makes a diffrence but I'm in the diocese of New Gracanica Smiley

simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 11:33:19 PM »

Oh...misspelling...I thought you had intention to poison the Serbs or something. Cheesy Embarrassed

Is that near the Diocese of Encyclopedia Britannica?? Huh Cheesy

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 11:38:23 PM »

also known as the Diocese of Midwestern America Smiley
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:38:48 PM by Altar Server » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 12:26:35 AM »

btw: I don't know if it makes a diffrence but I'm in the diocese of New Gracanica Smiley

My parish is a New Gracanica church, but there are even overlapping Serbian jurisdictions in our country.

Also known as the Diocese of Midwestern America.

This is where you would be wrong.  This is a different diocese.  The history is complicated, but I think it is related to a schism over communism, which has since been healed, but the separate diocese remain in overlapping territories.  What a mess!  Not quite as neat and clean as the Latin church's organization.  But what we lack in organization, we make up for in our Orthodoxy!

Everything at our church is in English, so that's a plus.  Occasionally there are some parts in Slavonic, but usually only if another Serbian parish is visiting ours.  Our parish is mostly a convert parish; actually I know of no ethnic Serbs in our parish.

The only ethically Orthodox are a couple of Russians, maybe one Greek and a big group of Ethiopians.  They have all been chrismated over from the Oriental church, but I doubt if any of them even really know the difference.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:30:22 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 01:18:11 AM »

ah okay

simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 01:22:54 AM »

don't let our disorganization stumble you...you go ahead and go to the parish you can get to. Your in God's hands now. the Serb Church is my first choice and I've been around due to relocating a bunch of times...Hospitality and Love I've seen from the parishes I've been at, Man! Good stuff. Grin

Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 12:50:42 AM »

My parish is a New Gracanica church, but there are even overlapping Serbian jurisdictions in our country.

Also known as the Diocese of Midwestern America.

This is where you would be wrong.  This is a different diocese.  The history is complicated, but I think it is related to a schism over communism, which has since been healed, but the separate diocese remain in overlapping territories.  What a mess!  Not quite as neat and clean as the Latin church's organization.  But what we lack in organization, we make up for in our Orthodoxy!

Everything at our church is in English, so that's a plus.  Occasionally there are some parts in Slavonic, but usually only if another Serbian parish is visiting ours.  Our parish is mostly a convert parish; actually I know of no ethnic Serbs in our parish.

The only ethically Orthodox are a couple of Russians, maybe one Greek and a big group of Ethiopians.  They have all been chrismated over from the Oriental church, but I doubt if any of them even really know the difference.

Your church wouldn't happen to be the convert mission on Troost Ave. in Kansas City, MO?  Is that the one that was founded by Fr Pasius who had a bookstore associated with the St Herman Brotherhood?  I heard they entered the Serbian Church so I guess I heard right.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Eugenio
Elder

Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 01:23:32 AM »

For us non-Serbs: What's a "New Gracanica" church?
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 01:55:04 AM »

Altar Server, If it is the one mentioned above (associated with the St. Herman Brotherhood) you are in for a treat I would suppose. I've gone to two mission parishes (eugene, Or. and Reno, Nv.) associated with this monastery and have found a warmth of spirit like I've never seen anywhere else - my experience is quite limited though within the world of Orthodoxy.
But as for me, I am so happy to have found the companionship I have within the Serbian church. Our Bishop Maxim is very young for a bishop and he has brought a spry, delightful energy to our diocese.

For us non-Serbs: What's a "New Gracanica" church?
It covers the mid-west and hails from the Monastery in Illinois. 

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 05:06:23 AM »

All srbs are old calendar....Thank God....Gracanica Monastery is in third lake either grayslake ill or gurnee Ill.Route 45..between washington St.and Grand Ave....if your taking Grand Ave west from 294 you go south on 45..

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 08:02:10 PM »

Thank you Stashko.

JHP17

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 09:59:08 PM »

"For us non-Serbs: What's a "New Gracanica" church?"

Gracanica (Serbian: Gračanica, pronounced Grachanitsa) is a Serbian Orthodox Monastary located in Kosovo. it was founded by Serbian King Stefan Milutin in 1321. here is the link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gra%C4%8Danica_monastery.

The New Gracanica Monastery is based in Chicago. The complex houses a scaled down replica of the Gračanica monastery in Kosovo. here is the link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Gra%C4%8Danica_Monastery

NULL
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 10:13:57 PM »

picture church.....  seminary 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:16:03 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 11:01:30 PM »

Your church wouldn't happen to be the convert mission on Troost Ave. in Kansas City, MO?  Is that the one that was founded by Fr Pasius who had a bookstore associated with the St Herman Brotherhood?  I heard they entered the Serbian Church so I guess I heard right.

That's the one.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 11:02:22 PM »

The New Gracanica Monastery is based in Chicago. The complex houses a scaled down replica of the Gračanica monastery in Kosovo.

Actually, I believe that it is a 'scaled up' replica.  It is larger than the one in Serbia.
Eugenio
Elder

Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 11:44:42 PM »

Alveus Lacuna, I've visited that convert mission on Troost Ave. in Kansas City, MO. It's St. Mary of Egypt.

http://blog.stmaryofegypt.net/

It's wonderful place! Very warm people. I'd love to go visit again some day.
Tags: Serbian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: