OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 03:49:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Armenian Orthodox Church  (Read 966 times) Average Rating: 0
Σoφíα

Faith: Orthodox

« on: July 10, 2009, 07:04:01 AM »

Hello everyone,

We'd like to attend an Armenian Orthodox Church for Divine Liturgy next week.  This would be our first time.  We are "Eastern Orthodox" and were wondering what are the differences and similarities between the two, especially procedure wise ...as in what to do and what not to do.  Any input is highly appreciated!  Thank you in advance!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 08:01:09 AM »

Hello everyone,

We'd like to attend an Armenian Orthodox Church for Divine Liturgy next week.  This would be our first time.  We are "Eastern Orthodox" and were wondering what are the differences and similarities between the two, especially procedure wise ...as in what to do and what not to do.  Any input is highly appreciated!  Thank you in advance!

I don't know about the rules of intercommunion in Romania with the Armenia, so that would be the first "don't."

Probably getting a copy of the DL to follow would be a good idea, and looking through it beforehand (the DL itself will probably be all in Armenian).

Btw, do you know that Eminescu claimed to be Armenian?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Σoφíα

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 08:30:52 AM »

heh yep I've heard that before, there were a lot of Armenians in Botosani where he was born.  He was a wonderful poet (I used to recite Eminescu's translated poems when I was in speach and debate in high school...memories!) Dumnezeu sa-l odihneasca.
I don't know if people will judge me or not...but Orthodox is Orthodox...whether oriental or eastern.  I've heard that OO allow EO to receive Communion but not vice versa and that if you receive Communion in an OO you will be "excomunicated" from the EO.  Politics give me a headache.  The Armenian Orthodox Church here almost caught fire last week from a large skyscraper (ew...I dislike skyscrapers) that burned over 13 stories.  It's a beautiful church and we'd like to attend and pray.  I know just a few words in Armenian, very interesting/beautiful language!  Anyhow, it's nice to see the cultural varieties in Orthodoxy, to understand and appreciate eachother's differences.  Thank's for responding Isa! Smiley
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 08:43:21 AM »

Btw,
http://www.armeniapedia.org/index.php?title=Armenian_Church_Divine_Liturgy

Interesting, that it has a "Final Gospel," like the Latin Rite of Rome.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 11:14:35 AM »

If you click on the Armenian Church tag below, you'll see lots of threads, some of which have discussed attending an Armenian liturgy.  Also discussed in one of the threads (I can't recall which) is the fact that we do have a final Gospel, and why.

The Armenian priest would probably give you Communion, but you are right in assuming this may excommunicate you from your own Church.  So it's probably not a good idea.   Smiley

We cross ourselves in the same direction as the Catholics.  Otherwise, if you just act respectful and watch what everyone else is doing, you'll be fine.  You may ask someone there if they have liturgy books to help you understand the liturgy.

Tags: Armenian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: