OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 08:04:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hundreds of Thousands of Eastern European Girls Sold as Sex Slaves  (Read 4178 times) Average Rating: 0
Pravoslavbob
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« on: July 09, 2009, 05:44:40 PM »

This is an international outrage and disgrace.  Hundreds and thousands of our Orthodox sisters and other girls are being trafficked as sex slaves.   Cry   More, much much more, needs to be done to put a stop to this heinous and evil activity.  Our societies should all be ashamed of themselves for this raping of the human person going on right in our very midst!   

Sex Slaves

An undercover journey deep into the world of sex trafficking, following one man determined to rescue his wife -- kidnapped and sold into the global sex trade.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/slaves/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 05:50:27 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 06:25:48 PM »

I have a cousin who works in a joint unit with the Guardia Costiera and GICO in Italy, and has said ever since the early 90s, human trafficking (either illegal immigration, sexual slavery, etc) has absolutely exploded.  The Guardia di Finanza even has boats and HQs in ports in the Balkans in an attempt to curve it from the source, but no matter how much is done, another springs up and they make dangerous sprints across the Adriatic.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 07:06:25 PM »

Really terrible.

Love never fails.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 07:13:39 PM »

I've been researching the illegal sex trade now for some two years or so.  While this absolutely does not diminish the tragicality of the matter, I first thought this to be a problem confined to mainly Eastern Europe.  Sadly, this isn't the case.  There isn't a continent that has not been (and continues to be) affected by the illegal sex trade.  Amazingly enough, this has even become a problem here in the United States (not that we're immune to this, you just wouldn't think it could be as wide spread as it is.)  One of the most difficult aspects of this tragedy is the age of the victims.  In Thailand for example, girls as young as FIVE YEARS OLD have been sold to pimps by their very own family!

After reading about sex slaves in Romania, Moldavia and Ukraine, I did some internet searches trying to find an agency that works with rescued girls and women.  I found a few, but because of security and safety concerns, it is very difficult for foreigners to help out.  Thankfully, as this tragedy becomes more well known, it's beginning to get easier to help these individuals and agencies.

Here's a great article from the New York Times which chronicles and explains the illegal sex trade;

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/25/magazine/the-girls-next-door.html?sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

For those who are interested in walking the walk, here are some ways that you can get involved;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 07:13:54 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 11:18:56 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 12:27:34 AM »

The movie "Taken" with Liam Neeson, deals with this issue (in a rather violent way).

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
IPC
Elder

Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RZC

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 01:04:09 AM »

Sadly this reflects the dreadful success of the atheistic and anti-christian governments of Eastern Europe (Former USSR, Poland, Hungary, Chekoslovakia, etc.).

People under those dictatorships were driven to a spiritual devastation, where all it matters is doing anything they can, to outsmart the government, and others, and get material benefit, power, fame, and other worldly "benefits".

In some regions where atheist regimes were not so violent and enmasculating, like in Yugoslavia, we see many preserve a moral condition, and a better spiritual state, while in the former USSR, we see many are literally possessed by the evil of times.  Not in vain Russia is on top of the list of the most corrupt nations in the world, where democracy, and human rights, among other things, are non existent.

This makes more than evident that the resurrection of Holy Russia, is far from reality, and it's just a romantic idea.

This is why it's not common to find serbians, montenegrin, kosovars, and macedonians in those kind of activities, while there are many russians there.

In russia, many are like "in the morning to the temple, at night to the night club".

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:07:51 AM by IPC » Logged

THIS USER USED THE SCREEN NAME PRAVOSLAV09 BEFORE.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 10:50:31 AM »

The movie "Taken" with Liam Neeson, deals with this issue (in a rather violent way).

He deals with it in a totally awesome way.  Way better than his role as Aslan in Narnia.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 11:02:40 AM »

It's hard for me to know quite what to think about this. When I lived in Kyiv, all kinds of girls worked as prostitutes, and they were the envy of the neighbourhood, with their fancy clothes and lifestyle. Now that I live in North America, I am discovering much the same behaviour from the Eastern European girls. They seem to have this reputation for working at these jobs or finding rich men who will "pay" them with fancy clothes etc. Many of them find rich men to pay their way through college too. I find it hard to feel sorry for such people.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 12:11:10 PM »

It's hard for me to know quite what to think about this. When I lived in Kyiv, all kinds of girls worked as prostitutes, and they were the envy of the neighbourhood, with their fancy clothes and lifestyle. Now that I live in North America, I am discovering much the same behaviour from the Eastern European girls. They seem to have this reputation for working at these jobs or finding rich men who will "pay" them with fancy clothes etc. Many of them find rich men to pay their way through college too. I find it hard to feel sorry for such people.

What do they major in, in college? What jobs do they get when they graduate?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 12:11:38 PM »

He deals with it in a totally awesome way.  Way better than his role as Aslan in Narnia.

Oh yeah, it was awesome. laugh

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 12:22:42 PM »

Sadly this reflects the dreadful success of the atheistic and anti-christian governments of Eastern Europe (Former USSR, Poland, Hungary, Chekoslovakia, etc.).

Been to Western Europe and its "progressive" and anti-christian governments?

People under those dictatorships were driven to a spiritual devastation, where all it matters is doing anything they can, to outsmart the government, and others, and get material benefit, power, fame, and other worldly "benefits".

In some regions where atheist regimes were not so violent and enmasculating, like in Yugoslavia, we see many preserve a moral condition, and a better spiritual state, while in the former USSR, we see many are literally possessed by the evil of times.  Not in vain Russia is on top of the list of the most corrupt nations in the world, where democracy, and human rights, among other things, are non existent.

This makes more than evident that the resurrection of Holy Russia, is far from reality, and it's just a romantic idea.

Far less romantic than the idea that under the Czar (who is going to be resurrected any moment) all was right with the world.  Read Dostoevsky.  He might cure you of that.

If fact, I recall that at the turn of the previous century many put Russia at the top of the list of corrupt nations (or was Rasputin a good guy?), where democracy (the Turkish sultan granted a constitution before the Russian czar), and human rights (e.g. the anti-Jewish progroms caused many to call the Czar a New Pharoah) among other things, were non existent.

This is why it's not common to find serbians, montenegrin, kosovars, and macedonians in those kind of activities, while there are many russians there.

Of course the fact that the Russian far outnumber the Serbians, Montenegrins, Kosovars and Macedonians combined have nothing to do with your assertion, which, btw, do you have any proof to back it up?

In russia, many are like "in the morning to the temple, at night to the night club".
Yes, that only happens in Russia. Roll Eyes

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Pravoslavbob
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 12:23:50 PM »

It's hard for me to know quite what to think about this.

Rosehip,

You can watch the documentary under discussion tomorrow night on CBC Newsworld if you want to.

SEX SLAVES
Sunday July 12 at 10pm ET/PT on CBC Newsworld

Emmy Award Winner - Best Investigative Documentary

An estimated half million women are trafficked annually for the purpose of sexual slavery. They are "exported" to over 50 countries including Britain, Italy, Japan, Germany, Israel, Turkey, China, Kosovo, Canada and the United States. Misunderstood and widely tolerated, sex trafficking has become a multi-billion dollar underground industry.

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/sexslaves.html

When I lived in Kyiv, all kinds of girls worked as prostitutes, and they were the envy of the neighbourhood, with their fancy clothes and lifestyle. Now that I live in North America, I am discovering much the same behaviour from the Eastern European girls. They seem to have this reputation for working at these jobs or finding rich men who will "pay" them with fancy clothes etc. Many of them find rich men to pay their way through college too. I find it hard to feel sorry for such people.

I don't know if you read any of Victor Malarek's comments on the PBS site or if you have had the chance to look at his book on the subject.  According to him, these are clearly not people who are choosing this lifestyle freely.  Plus, there are more than just girls from Russia and Ukraine in question here.  The culture in Romania, for example, is quite different.  I think the evidence is out there for all to see.  Of course, that is just my opinion.  I am sure that there are girls who are choosing to work as prostitutes also, but after seeing the evidence for myself, I would never think that the majority involved in these lurid trafficking schemes had freely chosen this life.

A journalist, Victor Malarek spent two years interviewing traffickers and their victims and is the author of The Natashas: Inside the New Global Sex Trade (2003). He talks here about how women are conned into the sex trade, the countries that are supplying the new "fourth wave" of trafficked women, and the failure of governments to help the countless women who are forced into prostitution.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/slaves/needs/malarek.html

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:34:11 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 03:30:25 PM »

Oh yeah, it was awesome. laugh

"I told you I'd find you"

I normally hate the idea of revenge/vengeance as well as using violence as a solution. But to those who use other human beings in this manner...
biosofia

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 03:19:01 AM »

I find it hard to feel sorry for such people.
You talked about the grown-up girls  who buy expensive clothes, but didn't address the issue reported by the original poster. The story was about young ladies that are kidnapped and forced to be prostitutes overseas.
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 08:28:10 PM »

Any form of slavery is horrible.  When people in this country (USA) start talking about how our grandparents were wronged with slavery, and then start talking reprations, I get upset. I ask them if they have even looked into slavery today, many do realize the extent of it today throughout the world.  The past is the past I tell them, do something about the slaves today, now, someone in your family could be next, it's only a kidnapping away.  (no, I'm not black,or white, not even biracial.  I am multiracial)
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 10:09:12 AM »

A journalist, Victor Malarek spent two years interviewing traffickers and their victims and is the author of The Natashas: Inside the New Global Sex Trade (2003). He talks here about how women are conned into the sex trade, the countries that are supplying the new "fourth wave" of trafficked women, and the failure of governments to help the countless women who are forced into prostitution.

I watched this program a few months ago.  I had just crawled in to bed and was channel surfing when it caught my eye.  Even though I was dead tired, I could not bring myself to shut off the TV.  When the program had finished my eyes were stinging from crying and my conscience was bothering me, that here I lay in my nice warm bed, and out there, my sisters are suffering so.  I didn't sleep for hours.

I contacted PBS to see if there was some way to help these girls.  They actually, replied and told me how the girls were doing.  The one who's husband was searching for her, lost the baby (who was injured while she was forced to "work", while kidnapped).  She is now divorced from her husband.  She couldn't get over what happened to her.

The other blond girl who was working in order to make money (as there are no jobs where she lives) in order to pay for the doctor's bills for her ailing brother (due to Chernobyl), willingly returned to prostitution.  She explained that there simply was no other way to earn enough money to get her brother the treatments he needed.  Sadly, while she was away making the money, he passed away. 

It's all very sad.  How the world turns a blind eye to it, just amazes me.

Lord, have mercy on all the girls (and probably boys, too) who are forced into slavery. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 10:50:50 AM »

I watched this program a few months ago.  I had just crawled in to bed and was channel surfing when it caught my eye.  Even though I was dead tired, I could not bring myself to shut off the TV.  When the program had finished my eyes were stinging from crying and my conscience was bothering me, that here I lay in my nice warm bed, and out there, my sisters are suffering so.  I didn't sleep for hours.

I contacted PBS to see if there was some way to help these girls.  They actually, replied and told me how the girls were doing.  The one who's husband was searching for her, lost the baby (who was injured while she was forced to "work", while kidnapped).  She is now divorced from her husband.  She couldn't get over what happened to her.

The other blond girl who was working in order to make money (as there are no jobs where she lives) in order to pay for the doctor's bills for her ailing brother (due to Chernobyl), willingly returned to prostitution.  She explained that there simply was no other way to earn enough money to get her brother the treatments he needed.  Sadly, while she was away making the money, he passed away. 

It's all very sad.  How the world turns a blind eye to it, just amazes me.

Lord, have mercy on all the girls (and probably boys, too) who are forced into slavery. 

no "probably"s about it.

When I was in the "advanced, civilized and enlightened society" of Belgium, I saw a man doing two boys in the middle of the park in broad daylight. This, after I was told with my fiancee that we couldn't get married in Belgium because neither of us were citizens (and contradicting what the consulate told me here in the US).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:56:02 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 11:25:39 AM »

no "probably"s about it.
What is the evidence for this?

When I was in the "advanced, civilized and enlightened society" of Belgium, I saw a man doing two boys in the middle of the park in broad daylight.
What did you do about it seeing as you knew these boys were sex slaves?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 11:36:38 AM »

PBS aired a documentary a few years ago about young Romanian boys/teens being used as sex slaves in Italy.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 11:40:56 AM »

PBS aired a documentary a few years ago about young Romanian boys/teens being used as sex slaves in Italy.

Thank you.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 11:57:11 AM »

According to Anti-Slavery International, Women and girls constitute 98% of sex slaves and 56% of labour slaves.

Catherine
Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 01:38:02 PM »

The whole thing is absolutely disgusting.

Amen.

http://www.stopthetraffik.org/default.aspx

http://www.ukhtc.org/
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 02:23:13 PM »

no "probably"s about it.

When I was in the "advanced, civilized and enlightened society" of Belgium, I saw a man doing two boys in the middle of the park in broad daylight.
What did you do about it seeing as you knew these boys were sex slaves?

I guess you should have asked the cop.

This was before Belgium got exposed by Marc Dutroux and Andras Pandy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Dutroux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A1s_P%C3%A1ndy
http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/3-6-2004-51350.asp
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 02:48:51 PM by ialmisry » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »

Absolutely sickening!

What leads people to such an evil path in life is beyond me.
No remorse, no sympathy.  Just pure hatred and anger.

You can't blame it on their childhood, and being beaten by their dad.

How many people do we know that grew up in starvation and harsh conditions, with bombs falling down around them?
These people grew up in real terror....yet, they don't express such evil tendencies. 

What a waste of their their lives, not to mention the lives they ruin.

Lord, have mercy on all involved!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 03:10:21 PM »

Absolutely sickening!

How many people do we know that grew up in starvation and harsh conditions, with bombs falling down around them?
These people grew up in real terror....yet, they don't express such evil tendencies. 

Lest they have the final word:
Sabine Dardenne - the girl, then 12, who was rescued after 80 days in his cellar: the girl who would mark her diary - crosses or stars - to differentiate between the days he simply visited and the days he abused her. Now 20, she has provoked tears of admiration around the country by insisting on testifying against Dutroux, 'to make him understand that, despite everything he made me suffer I did not go insane'. Dutroux told the court everything Sabine accused him of was true.
http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/3-6-2004-51350.asp

Don't Pity Me

Sabine Dardenne was like any other 12-year-old Belgian girl. But then the serial rapist and murderer Marc Dutroux abducted her and kept her locked in his cellar for 80 days, subjecting her to repeated sexual abuse. Nine years on, she is adamant that the ordeal is behind her. And, she tells Jon Henley, sympathy is the last thing she wants...

....The act of resistance for which Sabine Dardenne is most remembered came in the packed courtroom in Arlon, Belgium, about this time last year. At the end of her hour-long testimony during Dutroux's trial, she was asked if there were any questions she wanted to ask.

It was an electric moment. Standing feet away from her former torturer in his plate-glass box - the man who swore to her that her parents had abandoned her and refused to pay a ransom; the man who, when she was haemorrhaging from his assaults, gave her a pile of old Pampers to wear - she said: "I would like to know, coming from the man who has said I was pigheaded, why he didn't liquidate me."

Dutroux's mumbled reply was that he had "grown attached to her". She could, she recalls, barely contain her laughter. She can barely contain it now. "He was just so pathetic," she says. "I thought he would try to manipulate me again, like he did in the dungeon, but he wasn't even capable of that. He was tiny. He was abject. He couldn't tell the truth, not even once in his life. He didn't frighten me in the least. He made me laugh."

When Dardenne finally decided to write a book about her ordeal, it was in part simply to get everyone off her back. She would like nothing better, she insists, than to be forgotten: "It annoys me intensely that I can't really go out in the evening, that every time I get asked my name, at the dentist's or the video store, someone says, 'Dardenne? You're Sabine Dardenne?'"

"I Choose to Live," published in French last year, was book of the year in Belgium, has sold extremely well in France, and has so far been translated (or is being translated) into 22 languages. It is entirely in its author's image: direct, unpretentious, chatty, feet-on-the-ground. Sometimes shockingly so.

But how much of that is her, and how much a defence mechanism? When Dardenne talks of Dutroux, she never calls him by his name, but nor does she ever slip into hyperbole. He is never "the monster of Charleroi", "the butcher", "the torturer". He is always "le con" (the idiot), "le fou" (the madman), "le pauvre type" (that pathetic little man), "l'autre" (that guy), just occasionally "le sale connard" (the dirty bastard). He does not, she says when asked for an explanation, merit being called by his name.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/apr/18/ukcrime.features11

The French name of the book I find more poignant:J'avais douze ans, j'ai pris mon vélo et je suis partie à l'école ("I was twelve years old, I took my bike and I left for school").

Pravoslavbob
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 04:00:03 PM »

Please keep the thread on topic.  Thank you.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 11:25:12 PM »

Absolutely sickening!

One of my guiding principles when faced with human evil is that "no one sinks any lower than the lowest that is in all of us."
In my experience (both personal and professional), the moment I look at others' sins and start to think "I could never do such a thing!", I can be sure that I am doing the same thing in another form myself. By way of example, I think that what is ultimately behind the reprehensible act of human trafficking is the dehumanization of people. By this I mean that seeing a person as "less than human" allows one to "justify" (in their own mind) their exploitation and abuse. If I don't see you as being human, I can abuse you and treat you in ways I would never think of treating people in my life. We can often see a form of this in action in places such as internet forums. In an internet forum, a person is often "reduced" to what they type and no longer seen as a human being who is typing, in other words, they are dehumanized in exactly the same way in which victims of human trafficking are dehumanized.and some people think they can be rude to them, ridicule them and say things to them which they would never dream of saying if they were standing in the same room. I myself, sinner that I am, have sometimes fallen in to this trap.
Dehumanizing a person allows me to insult them, hate them, abuse them, and call them a "fool". But this dehumanization is exactly the same process which would "allow" me exploit, rape, torture or kill them. This, I think, is why Our Lord says that there is no difference between murdering someone and calling them a fool:
“You have heard that it was said to those of old,  ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’
But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment.
and whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council.
But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire."
(Matthew 5:21-23)
What I have learned from this is that dehumanizing a person is the most morally reprehensible thing anyone can do to a human being, and we need to be constantly alert to ensure that we don't do it ourselves.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:27:16 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 12:38:57 AM »

One of my guiding principles when faced with human evil is that "no one sinks any lower than the lowest that is in all of us."
In my experience (both personal and professional), the moment I look at others' sins and start to think "I could never do such a thing!", I can be sure that I am doing the same thing in another form myself. By way of example, I think that what is ultimately behind the reprehensible act of human trafficking is the dehumanization of people. By this I mean that seeing a person as "less than human" allows one to "justify" (in their own mind) their exploitation and abuse. If I don't see you as being human, I can abuse you and treat you in ways I would never think of treating people in my life. We can often see a form of this in action in places such as internet forums. In an internet forum, a person is often "reduced" to what they type and no longer seen as a human being who is typing, in other words, they are dehumanized in exactly the same way in which victims of human trafficking are dehumanized.and some people think they can be rude to them, ridicule them and say things to them which they would never dream of saying if they were standing in the same room. I myself, sinner that I am, have sometimes fallen in to this trap.
Dehumanizing a person allows me to insult them, hate them, abuse them, and call them a "fool". But this dehumanization is exactly the same process which would "allow" me exploit, rape, torture or kill them. This, I think, is why Our Lord says that there is no difference between murdering someone and calling them a fool:
“You have heard that it was said to those of old,  ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’
But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment.
and whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council.
But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire."
(Matthew 5:21-23)
What I have learned from this is that dehumanizing a person is the most morally reprehensible thing anyone can do to a human being, and we need to be constantly alert to ensure that we don't do it ourselves.

When I hear or read of stories of people hurting teenagers, children or babies I immediately well up inside with heavy tears of anguish and I ask myself, "How is this possible? How can someone lose their humanity to hurt someone who is so vulnerable? How  can someone hurt another and not feel their pain?" But then I know it is possible for anyone who is close to another to verbally attack their humanity...and once someone begins the verbal abuse those attacks can easily spiral into physical abuse. It is a fine line between verbal and physical abuse. One leads to the other.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 09:28:08 PM »

I live close to a pauper’s cemetery.  Every year there at least one deceased, young woman identified as only “Eastern European descent” buried there.  The young girls come from the unclaimed bodies in the city’s morgue.  The burial field is overgrown and full of weeds.  The markers are pitiful and only last a few years before disappearing.  It is reflective of their very sad existence.  Once I got out of my car and walked a few yards out of feeling a type of mother’s sadness.  Somewhere mothers are missing their daughters and don’t know where they are located or if they are alive.....and they are in this pitiful field.  So sad.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 03:29:19 AM »

Absolutely sickening!

Dehumanizing a person allows me to insult them, hate them, abuse them, and call them a "fool". But this dehumanization is exactly the same process which would "allow" me exploit, rape, torture or kill them.

Sadly, I need to remember your words when my dad and I get into an argument, and when I am impatient with him. Cry I have so much to learn....and so much experience to remember to learn from. Cry
I often wonder how God will even think to welcoming me into Heaven after all my BS, but I still try to have faith, to have hope...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:31:46 AM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 04:08:09 AM »

I think, when it comes to our own sins, we all need to remember which crown we ultimately want to have.

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Tags: Sex slavery slavery human trafficking prostitution 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: