OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 28, 2014, 06:57:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To whom does a priest confess?  (Read 3060 times) Average Rating: 0
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« on: July 09, 2009, 01:37:05 AM »

I know this will be a topic of interest to many young believers...I have never asked my priests this question directly. Do they have spiritual/father confessors? Or do they confess their sins directly to Christ at the Altar?

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 01:41:02 AM »

They have a Spiritual Father they confess to.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 01:42:13 AM »

and if they don't? are they transgressing law?

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 02:03:42 AM »

I have never asked my priests this question directly. Do they have spiritual/father confessors? Or do they confess their sins directly to Christ at the Altar?

I believe that my priest's confessor is the abbot of a monastery.  He travels to meet with him periodically.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 02:33:38 AM »

I've known my priest and another priest here in town to have a relationship wherein they confess their sins to each other.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 04:11:05 AM »

Priests confess to other priests (married or monastic), or to their bishop. Bishops, likewise, confess to other bishops, or to priests. There is no provision for a "confession to Christ at the altar" - this goes quite against the Orthodox understanding of the nature and form of confession. Clerics and laymen alike are all in need of confessing their sins, and there is no distinction between laity and clergy in the form this takes.
mike
Moderated
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 05:53:19 AM »

In Poland Priests from whole deaneries have retreats a few times per year. I think they confess to the other Priests.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 09:08:40 AM »

Who do the Patriarchs confess to? Such as the Ecumenical Patriarchate?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 09:12:04 AM »

Is there some unwritten rule that a cleric must confess his sins only to someone "higher up" in the hierarchy?
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 09:25:18 AM »

Is there some unwritten rule that a cleric must confess his sins only to someone "higher up" in the hierarchy?

No, bishops often confess to priests. A patriarch can confess to a priest. A priest can hear anyone's confession (assuming he has his bishops permission to hear confessions).
ZMICHAEL

Faith: orthodox christian

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 10:00:09 AM »

hello my name is Michael Tilahun from Ethiopia and orthodox christian.
so i have asked my spiritual father who is a monk and he told me that they too have a spiritual father to whom they confess too. Here in our religion there is a dogma in which how monks and other prists are going to have their spiritual fathers. Even the bible doesn't say that prists don't have to confess or have a spiritual father rather every human being who commit a sin should confess.

with respect
Michael
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »

That was my next question - thanx  Lips Sealed Grin

simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 11:08:22 AM »

so i have asked my spiritual father who is a monk and he told me that they too have a spiritual father to whom they confess too. Here in our religion there is a dogma in which how monks and other prists are going to have their spiritual fathers. Even the bible doesn't say that prists don't have to confess or have a spiritual father rather every human being who commit a sin should confess.

with respect
Michael
Greetings Michael! Good to have another ETOC member here on the site! Welcome!  Grin

I wondered if it was different within the cultures... Wink

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 11:33:48 AM »

One of the GOA Metropolises has an Ierokyrix, a designated traveling confessor, but of course, he hears everyone's confessions, not just priests'.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 11:54:23 AM »

with respect
Michael

Welcome to the forum, Michael!

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
mike
Moderated
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 02:25:08 PM »

One of the GOA Metropolises has an Ierokyrix, a designated traveling confessor, but of course, he hears everyone's confessions, not just priests'.

One confessor for whole Metropolitanate?
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 03:08:14 PM »

No, obviously that wouldn't work at all! You have to remember how much territory (miles and miles) some Metropoli cover here in the US. It can take a Bishop over 12 hours to drive to some of his parishes.

As I understand it, many parish priests are also designated as a Father-Confessor, but the Ierokyrix is an Archimandrite whose "job" (among other responsibilities, of course) is to travel to various parishes and offer homilies, spiritual talks, presentations on the Sacrament of Confession, and hear the confessions of local priests and parish members.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 03:09:55 PM by katherineofdixie » Logged

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 12:24:51 AM »

No, obviously that wouldn't work at all! You have to remember how much territory (miles and miles) some Metropoli cover here in the US. It can take a Bishop over 12 hours to drive to some of his parishes.

As I understand it, many parish priests are also designated as a Father-Confessor, but the Ierokyrix is an Archimandrite whose "job" (among other responsibilities, of course) is to travel to various parishes and offer homilies, spiritual talks, presentations on the Sacrament of Confession, and hear the confessions of local priests and parish members.
Oh! that's good, He'd be pretty tired...(ierokyrix) I His unworthy...snore... Cheesy

Tags: confession priests 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: