OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:49:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patriarch Kirill has consecrated the first Russian church in Turkey  (Read 3209 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: July 06, 2009, 10:18:36 PM »

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=6195

Patriarch Kirill has consecrated the first Russian church in Turkey

Istanbul, July 6, Interfax – Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has consecrated a church of Sts Konstantin and Elena on Monday in summer residence of Russian consulate in a place of Buyukdere near Istanbul.

According to correspondent of Interfax-Religion, members of the Russian Church delegation accompanying Patriarch in the trip to Turkey have taken part in consecration and in the subsequent Divine Liturgy. The chorus of the Moscow Sretensky monastery sang during the service, and some employees of Russian embassy also assisted on the Liturgy.

The church consecration has opened the third day of Patriarch Kirill's visit to Turkey. His visiting of Constantinople Patriarchate was made in accordance with Orthodox tradition as the new-elected Patriarch visited to brotherly Orthodox Churches.

The church of Sts Konstantin and Elena has been built in summer residence in Buyukdere in 1832. In a Soviet period divine services were not made, and only recently the church has been restored.

After the consecration, the church in territory of Russian consulate became the first church of the Moscow Patriarchate in Turkey. Before this time the Russians, living in Turkey and visitors, could only visit divine services in churches of Constantinople Patriarchate.

=================

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 10:41:34 PM »

But would not this temple still fall under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate?
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 10:58:37 PM »

I really hope we don't start seeing jurisdictions overseas like here in the USA...
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 11:05:14 PM »

I believe this was the metochion of Moscow in Constantinople. While the article doesn't say so I believe that is what this is because of its location on Russian Embassy property and it would also make sense based on the statements issued by both Patriarchs this week.

Joseph
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:12:14 PM »

Slightly confused by this since there has been a Russian church in Istanbul for decades, on Mesrutiyet Avenue.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 11:36:35 PM »

When His Beatitude spoke to His All Holiness, he went out of his way to acknowledge that Turkey is the territory of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, that there are Russian immigrants in this territory; and his discussions with the EP were to discuss service to this population.  I certainly pray that these discussions are fruitfull; these immigrates could save the EP from the extinction their populous has been headed toward since the mid-50's during the pogrom of the Turkish Republic.

Also, in international diplomacy, embassies are considered the territory of the nation they represent. 

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 09:06:05 AM »

Yeah. It's legally Russian soil, so I'm sure it will be a dependency of or maybe even stavropegial of the Russian Patriarch.

The real question is: What kind of arrangement will there be between the two Patriarchates for pastoral care in other venues. I hope one measly Church on the grounds of the Russian embassy isn't their answer.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 12:52:18 PM »

Yeah. It's legally Russian soil, so I'm sure it will be a dependency of or maybe even stavropegial of the Russian Patriarch.

The real question is: What kind of arrangement will there be between the two Patriarchates for pastoral care in other venues. I hope one measly Church on the grounds of the Russian embassy isn't their answer.

Legally it is Russian soil, but canonically it is under the jurisdiction of the Patriarch of Moscow, two related but distinct things.

And as the Russian soil part, is that confirmed?  It would have been the old Russian embassy, when Constantinople was the capital.  But consulates do not automatically have extraterritoriality, in which case it would NOT be Russian soil, but still, if the metochion, under Moscow's canonical jurisdiction, which the Turkish Republic technically does not care about (but unofficially is worried about).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
churchgoer

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 01:14:22 PM »

The other Russian church in Istanbul is a stavropegia church of the Monastery of St. Pantelemeion (Holy Mountain), which of course belongs to the EP.

ALL canonical Orthodox Churches in Turkey belong under the Omoforion of the EP. Patriarch Kirill had to receive a blessing from the Ecumenical Patriarch to bless this church & the new church also is under the Omoforion of the EP, regardless which soil the embassy is on.
Elpidophoros
Elder

Faith: OX

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 02:03:38 PM »

AS far as I understood,the service recently performed for the church of SS.Konstantinos k Elene was not "Consecration"(Egkainia) but simply a "Blessing"(Agiasmos) or "Door-opening"(Thyranoixia).And the service actually performed mainly by the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomaios(together with the Patriarch of Moscow).
See photographeias:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 02:04:15 PM by Elpidophoros » Logged
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 02:17:46 PM »

Thanks for the pic. Makes sense.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 02:18:49 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 02:21:57 PM »

Was the Ep wearing Patriarch Kirill's mantiya?  I've never seen the EP wearing anything but purple.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Elpidophoros
Elder

Faith: OX

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 03:08:57 PM »

Was the Ep wearing Patriarch Kirill's mantiya?  I've never seen the EP wearing anything but purple.
Yes,not only Mantiya,even the Pateritsa is Patirarch Kyrillos'.In EP's place,MP took the Throne(Despotikon)of EP,and oneday later,in MP's palce,EP used MP's Mantiya and Pateritsa.....
see Photo:
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 09:19:58 PM »

There is a discussion thread on the color of mantiyas in the Liturgy forum...

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19471.0.html
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:20:31 PM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
churchgoer

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 03:15:55 AM »

So in actuality, Kirill did not consecrate the church..... unfortunately, Interfax has a tendency to mislead.
churchgoer

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 03:19:15 AM »

Kirill is standing at the throne of the EP because he probably officiated at the Othros service. Any bishop who serves and the EP is not present in church, the presiding bishop presides from the throne.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 05:52:54 PM »

Didn't the ROCOR used to have parishes in Constantinople back in the 20's and after?  Are there any still left today? I know that many white emigres were evacuated to that city from the Crimea.  I'm sure that the EP also has similar churches in Russia for ethnic Greeks living there?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 09:44:08 AM »

Yes,not only Mantiya,even the Pateritsa is Patirarch Kyrillos'.In EP's place,MP took the Throne(Despotikon)of EP,and oneday later,in MP's palce,EP used MP's Mantiya and Pateritsa.....
see Photo:

LOL.  My, isn't that a wry little smile.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 03:43:12 PM »

Patriarch Kirill also spoke about the great number of Russian-speaking Orthodox believers who reside in Turkey. He stressed that churches were needed to meet their religious needs. The prime minister expressed readiness to help in this matter and said that he personally was ready to deal with providing churches for Russian-speaking believers residing in Turkey.
http://www.mospat.ru/index.php?page=45331

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: