Author Topic: Baby Evangeline  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
Baby Evangeline
« on: July 06, 2009, 08:41:14 PM »
A friend and fellow GOC priest in our Metropolis had a sick granddaughter (infant, born with brain tumors).  Little Evangeline died today, a little less than a year old, thankfully she was baptized.  Please pray for her and for her parents who are both very young (this was their first child), and for the grandparents.

In Christ,

Fr Anastasios
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 08:41:53 PM by Fr. Anastasios »
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Salpy

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
Re: Baby Evangeline
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
How sad!  :'(

Lord have mercy!

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:52:06 PM »
Give rest eternal, O Lord, in blessed repose, to the soul of Thy departed handmaiden, the baby Evangeline, and make her memory eternal.  :'(

Lord have mercy on her grieving parents, grandparents and friends.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 08:57:37 PM »
Lord, have mercy on the poor parents! And Memory Eternal to the poor child...

I don't know... will this other world ever come, or are all these poor Evangelines in vain, a mistake, or - as secular humanists say - a reminder to us that we, rather than believeing in gods and other worlds, should just learn more about genes, tumors, diseases...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 08:58:16 PM by Heorhij »
Love never fails.

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 09:07:29 PM »
Lord have mercy, memory eternal little Evangeline (such a lovely name)! How very, very sad... :'(

Yes, please, please, dear scientists, learn more about these things. Please learn more about less invasive treatments, please, please. If I would be younger and smarter, I would devote my life to this.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 09:09:13 PM by Rosehip »
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 09:13:12 PM »

I don't know... will this other world ever come, or are all these poor Evangelines in vain, a mistake, or - as secular humanists say - a reminder to us that we, rather than believeing in gods and other worlds, should just learn more about genes, tumors, diseases...

"Let me tell you of the so-called 'good things' of this life. Listen to them: sorrows and pleasures, angers and fears, hopes and desires. What is the evil then that has happened to your child who died early in life and was spared from these many and so powerful tyrants?" -St. Gregory of Nyssa

I cite these difficult words because I think that lives like hers are quite the opposite of being in vain, while many of us (myself included) know the reality we live in yet continue to sin.

I could discuss my views on how the secular world views this all but it wouldn't be appropriate in the prayer forum. I'd be happy to share my thoughts with you if you'd like to engage, but if you were just speaking "out loud" that's understandable and fine too. It's a difficult topic for any of us to fully grasp let alone accept.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 09:15:55 PM by Fr. Anastasios »
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 09:17:35 PM »
Eternal be her memory!
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 09:19:39 PM »
Memory eternal!  Lord have mercy!
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 09:26:51 PM »
How sad :( - Memory Eternal.
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 09:57:11 PM »
Lord have mercy, memory eternal little Evangeline (such a lovely name)! How very, very sad... :'(

Yes, please, please, dear scientists, learn more about these things. Please learn more about less invasive treatments, please, please. If I would be younger and smarter, I would devote my life to this.

Unfortunately, I am already 51.5 and not that full of energy either... but I am sure that if my totally atheist daughter's son or daughter will become a medical scientist, he/she will learn more about all that, and help prevent the cases of the future Evangelines from happening.
Love never fails.

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 09:58:51 PM »

"Let me tell you of the so-called 'good things' of this life. Listen to them: sorrows and pleasures, angers and fears, hopes and desires. What is the evil then that has happened to your child who died early in life and was spared from these many and so powerful tyrants?" -St. Gregory of Nyssa

I cite these difficult words because I think that lives like hers are quite the opposite of being in vain, while many of us (myself included) know the reality we live in yet continue to sin.

I could discuss my views on how the secular world views this all but it wouldn't be appropriate in the prayer forum. I'd be happy to share my thoughts with you if you'd like to engage, but if you were just speaking "out loud" that's understandable and fine too. It's a difficult topic for any of us to fully grasp let alone accept.

Father, you are right, and I am sorry for distracting this forum from its task. Yes, I am praying, too.
Love never fails.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 10:08:04 PM »
Poor child.  Poor parents.  :'(

May she rest in peace and light perpetual shine upon her.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 11:26:16 PM »
Memory Eternal to the Holy Innocent,,,Baby Evangeline....Amen Amen
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 12:45:00 AM »
Lord have Mercy.

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 07:55:36 AM »
Memory eternal. Lord, have mercy.
Antiochian OC N.A.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 08:58:15 AM »

Memory Eternal to the Baby Evangeline.

Lord have mercy and grant strength to her parents, grandparents and all who loved her.

I am sure she will be missed.  I am also sure her life was not in vain.  She must have brought much joy to her parents, even if sorrow followed.
No birth, or life, is ever in vain.

Lord have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 11:15:12 AM »
Memory eternal!  Lord have mercy on her family.   :'(
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 03:43:35 PM »
Memory eternal!
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject