OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 02:56:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Athanasius Academy of Orthodox Theology  (Read 3313 times) Average Rating: 0
Justinianus
Elder

« on: November 25, 2003, 02:16:25 PM »

The Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese has a theological academy that offers correspondence study courses in the areas of theogology, liturgics, church history, and the Bible.  Have any of you heard anything about it either positive or negative?  

The web site is:

http://www.saaot.edu/

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
nicodemus

OC.net

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 03:12:42 PM »

The Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese has a theological academy that offers correspondence study courses in the areas of theogology, liturgics, church history, and the Bible.  Have any of you heard anything about it either positive or negative?  

The web site is:

http://www.saaot.edu/

As long as they aren't ordaining priests through the mail, it seems like a good thing.  Clergy and laity getting more educated can't be a bad thing right?
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 03:21:56 PM »

I really don't understand their point/mission.  You might as well just go to seminary.  The Antiochians should just start their own seminary somewhere.

Even though I've know the priests who run the seminary all my life, I wonder if they have ulterior motives.

Funny.  Surf Control won't let me into their site at work.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 03:23:02 PM by Elisha » Logged
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 04:24:17 PM »

I don't know if I agree Elisha.  There are many good and pious men and women who want to learn more about their faith and serve the church more fully in a lay capacity.   As long as the classes are taught by the standards of the Church, I don't see any reason to discontinue the classes.  

And perhaps with most of their members going to SVS or HC perhaps the Antiochian Holy Synod feels they have more important things to do than build a seminary at this point.  It also helps jurisidictional unity having many of the priests of america training together.  I wonder if there are many non-ACROD priests-in-training at their seminary?

Also, I think the correspondance school helps to supplement their prison ministry.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 06:37:10 PM »

David,

SAAOT is NOT a seminary (I didn't mean to use the word 'seminary' in my previous post) and is not acredited.  They don't train priests.  They have classes that probably are pretty decent, maybe have a lot of overlapping classes with a seminary.  It was started by former EOC priests and has been around in some form or another (and location) since pre-Orthodox times.  They come across as aspiring to be such, but either can't makeup their mind, don't want to or something else.  That's why I say that I don't understand their point given their history, I'm at least slightly suspect of ulterior motives.

There's more I could say, but I don't want to gossip (and I'm indirectly involved a past scandal).

Of course, I'm still going to spend part of Thanksgiving with some of the people involved, but there is still a slight feel of discomfort.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 06:40:06 PM by Elisha » Logged
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 11:39:14 PM »

Elisha,

I guess we can only wait and see what will happen.  All I know about them is what I've read on their site a few years ago.  Let us know if you hear any good news over turkey.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: