OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 04:05:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attendance for Daily Vespers  (Read 1149 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: July 06, 2009, 05:04:37 PM »

Hello, I am curious as to whether it is appropriate for guests to attend Daily Vespers, or if these are intended more or less for the Church faithful.  I have already attended a DL and am curious to see how the DV's differ. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:04:54 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 05:17:31 PM »

This is even LESS a problem than visiting DL.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 05:18:56 PM »

Of course you can. During Vespers there aren't any Sacraments made/celebrated (?) so you do not risk making a blasphemy by mistake Smiley

I've even heard 'bout Jews attending Vespers as there are many OT readings.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:19:59 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
rwprof
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 05:51:47 PM »

Hello, I am curious as to whether it is appropriate for guests to attend Daily Vespers, or if these are intended more or less for the Church faithful.  I have already attended a DL and am curious to see how the DV's differ. Thanks.

I don't know why it would be a problem. Vespers is my favorite service.

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 06:34:01 PM »

Vespers and Matins are great for someone enquiring into the faith. Whilst the Liturgy varies very little from day to day, Matins and Vespers consist of numerous variable elements that will give you a much greater insight into the faith and life of the Church.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 10:39:34 PM »

There is no problem (provided you are not scandalized by there being very few people there).  It actually may be a good opportunity.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 11:01:15 PM »

Until recently hampered by health problems we have served daily Vespers in our church for about 15 years.   It is enormously popular and we can count on about 15-20 parishioners.  We are central city and surrounded by many City Council housing blocks for the lower income bracket.

One wonderful thing is that when there is Vespers every night people will come and ask for a Memorial Service for their mother-father-brother who has just pased on in another city or country.

Being central city and surrounded by students and addicts in cheap digs as as well as what are called "working girls" in this country (prostitution is legal here) we could also count on some other visitors in the evenings, people in great need of peace, to light a candle and say a prayer in a peaceful and beautiful space where God brings hope and relief.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »

Go and bring many friends with you!

My first experience with Orthodoxy was a (Great) Vespers and I haven't stopped going since!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: