OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 05:56:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ark of the Covenant: How to reconcile our tradition with Scripture?  (Read 2259 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: July 06, 2009, 03:39:40 AM »

A Catholic friend of mine repsectfully asked me a question about the Ark of the Covenant. He does not doubt that it is indeed in Ethiopia, but he wants to know how to reconcile this tradition with what the Scriptures say. Below are the biblical references that he says seem to conflict with the what our Kebra Nagast teaches regarding how and when the Ark came to Ethiopia. Can my Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo brothers please shed some light on this? HaileAmanuel, Hiywot, Amdetsion, and AmdeBirhan, can you help me out here?

I don't mind some insight from other OO Christians, but please only respond if you have some solid explanation. Thanks.

Here is what my friend wrote regarding this matter:

Dear Gebre Menfes Kidus:

You asked for the scripture citations on the Ark.

Second Chronicles says that King Josiah (649-609 BC) had the Ark put
back in the temple:

2Ch 35:3  And he said to the Levites who taught all Israel and who were
holy to the LORD, "Put the holy ark in the house which Solomon the son
of David, king of Israel, built; you need no longer carry it upon your
shoulders. Now serve the LORD your God and his people Israel.

Jeremiah prophesied under Josiah and was in prison in Jerusalem when the
city was captured  by the Babylonians in 586 B.C.

Second Maccabees ch. 2says

2Ma 2:1 Now it is found in the descriptions of Jeremias, the prophet,
that he commanded them that went into captivity, to take the fire, as it hath
been signified, and how he gave charge to them that were carried away
into captivity.
2Ma 2:2 And how he gave them the law, that they should not forget the
commandments of the Lord, and that they should not err in their minds,
seeing the idols of gold, and silver, and the ornaments of them.
2Ma 2:3 And with other such like speeches, he exhorted them that they
would not remove the law from their heart.
2Ma 2:4 It was also contained in the same writing, how the prophet,
being warned by God, commanded that the tabernacle and the ark should
accompany him, till he came forth to the mountain where Moses went up, and saw the inheritance of God.
2Ma 2:5 And when Jeremias came thither he found a hollow cave: and he
carried in thither the tabernacle, and the ark, and the altar of
incense, and so stopped the door.
2Ma 2:6 Then some of them that followed him, came up to mark the place:
but they could not find it.
2Ma 2:7 And when Jeremias perceived it, he blamed them, saying: The
place shall be unknown, till God gather together the congregation of the
people, and receive them to mercy.
2Ma 2:8 And then the Lord will shew these things, and the majesty of the
Lord shall appear, and there shall be a cloud as it was also shewed to
Moses, and he shewed it when Solomon prayed that the place might be
sanctified to the great God.

So, we've got he Ark in the Temple some four centuries after Solomon
according to scripture.  That seems to be a conflict with the Ethiopian
tradition.  I'd like to know what your priest says. Or, what some other
sources say.

Peace to all,

JTM

Selam
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 03:40:52 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Hiywot

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:15:25 AM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus ,

There actually were two Arks. King Menelik I (son of Queen Saba) took the original one and left the replica on the place of the original Ark. I have read that some Jewish Midrashim still believe that two arks existed. Some say that the replica was made by the levites that collaborated with Menelik. When God ordered Moses to make a copy of the original one that he destroyed, we learn that the copy was equally powerful as the original.

Hiywot
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 07:54:39 PM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus ,

There actually were two Arks. King Menelik I (son of Queen Saba) took the original one and left the replica on the place of the original Ark. I have read that some Jewish Midrashim still believe that two arks existed. Some say that the replica was made by the levites that collaborated with Menelik. When God ordered Moses to make a copy of the original one that he destroyed, we learn that the copy was equally powerful as the original.

Hiywot

Thank you so much my brother! I will pass this information along.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 08:07:20 PM »

I have a question.  Is the Ark of the Covenant in Ethiopia the tablets that the 10 commandments were written upon, or is it the box that they were put in, or is it both? 

The reason that I ask is the the tabots (I hope I spelled it right) which you see carried by priests are replicas of the Ark (I think) and they are flat.  It could be I am completely confused and the tabots are supposed to be replicas of something else.  Anyway, any explanation would be appreciated.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 08:15:42 PM »

I have a question.  Is the Ark of the Covenant in Ethiopia the tablets that the 10 commandments were written upon, or is it the box that they were put in, or is it both? 

The reason that I ask is the the tabots (I hope I spelled it right) which you see carried by priests are replicas of the Ark (I think) and they are flat.  It could be I am completely confused and the tabots are supposed to be replicas of something else.  Anyway, any explanation would be appreciated.

Good question. I was confused by this as well. My understanding is that the Tabot refers to the actual Ark as well as the tablets. Every EOTC Church has a Tabot or replica of the actual Ark. On certain holy occasions the Tabots (tablets of the comandments) are carried out on top of the Priests heads and around the Church. They are always covered. I do not know if the actual Tabot (Replica of the Ark) is ever carried out. It may always remain in a part of the Church for only the Priests to see. I could be wrong. Can my Ethiopian Orthodox brothers shed more light on this?

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 11:29:11 AM »

Good question. I was confused by this as well. My understanding is that the Tabot refers to the actual Ark as well as the tablets. Every EOTC Church has a Tabot or replica of the actual Ark. On certain holy occasions the Tabots (tablets of the comandments) are carried out on top of the Priests heads and around the Church. They are always covered. I do not know if the actual Tabot (Replica of the Ark) is ever carried out. It may always remain in a part of the Church for only the Priests to see. I could be wrong. Can my Ethiopian Orthodox brothers shed more light on this?

I once went to an Ethiopian Orthodox Bible study here in London. It was held in an Anglican church that they are permitted to use. The priest told me that when a Liturgy is celebrated, a Tabot is brought and placed in the altar. I think that would suggest that the tabots found in churches are only replicas of the tablets, not the whole Ark.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 11:38:13 AM »

That is my impression too.  And yet I seem to recall being told that they are supposed to be replicas of the Ark.  Like I said, though, it could be I am confused.  Won't be the first time.   Smiley

Hiywot

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 05:40:40 AM »

Salpy,

What we have at Axum is the original Ark of the covenant with the tablets.

What you saw priests carrying is the replicas of the tablets inside flat boxes. We call the tablets as "Tsilat". Tsilat with its box is "Tabot". The Tsilat are replicas of the original tablets of Moses but the boxes are representations and not exact replicas of the original Ark. We, in Ethiopia, including myself commonly call the "Tsilat" as "Tabot" simply because of traditional usage.

Hiywot

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 11:08:56 AM »

Thank you!

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 04:01:11 PM »

Salpy,

What we have at Axum is the original Ark of the covenant with the tablets.

What you saw priests carrying is the replicas of the tablets inside flat boxes. We call the tablets as "Tsilat". Tsilat with its box is "Tabot". The Tsilat are replicas of the original tablets of Moses but the boxes are representations and not exact replicas of the original Ark. We, in Ethiopia, including myself commonly call the "Tsilat" as "Tabot" simply because of traditional usage.

Hiywot

Yes, thank you Hiywot!

Does every Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church have an actual replica of the Ark somewhere in the Church?

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Hiywot

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 05:44:07 AM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus,

Every Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church have an actual replica of the Tablets and not the Ark.

Hiywot
Dan-Romania
Warned
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 06:54:01 AM »

So how did king Menelik I , got in the possesion of the Ark ? How is the legend in details?I heard that he manage to foul the wise Solomon?Solomon who according to what I read/heard has made a replica after the Ark of the Convenant to give it to the Ethiopians, and thus Menelik exchange the genuine one with the replica , by foulishing Solomon and took it with him in Egypt.I don`t think Menelik was wiser than Solomon and I believe the bible when the reference to the Ark of the Convenant is made , years after the death of Solomon.Althought i`m interested in reading about this enlarged from our Ethiopians brothers. Forgive my english .

This user no longer posts here.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 08:04:53 AM »

So how did king Menelik I , got in the possesion of the Ark ? How is the legend in details?I heard that he manage to foul the wise Solomon?Solomon who according to what I read/heard has made a replica after the Ark of the Convenant to give it to the Ethiopians, and thus Menelik exchange the genuine one with the replica , by foulishing Solomon and took it with him in Egypt.I don`t think Menelik was wiser than Solomon and I believe the bible when the reference to the Ark of the Convenant is made , years after the death of Solomon.Althought i`m interested in reading about this enlarged from our Ethiopians brothers. Forgive my english .

Solomon was foolish enough to build altars to the gods of his foreign wives.

The story is in the epic "Kebra Nagast"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kebra_Nagast

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 12:52:31 PM »

Btw, if anyone wants to see an ancient argument that the earth is flat, based on an argument that the Ark of the Covenant is a model of the world:
http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/cosmas_00_0_eintro.htm
Cosmas Indicopleustes.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: Ark of the Covenant 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: