OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 05:51:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Former Orthodox who wants to come back  (Read 1006 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: July 05, 2009, 02:18:17 PM »

Hello,

MY name is Robert and I'm new to this forum.  I was born an RC but was brought into the Orthodox Church (ROCOR parish) when I was 19, back in 2000.  I stayed Orthodox for a couple years but ended up reverting back to Catholicism.  Now, after many years, I have decided that it might be a good idea for me to return to the Eastern Orthodox Church.  How exactly would I go about this and what would need to be done to bring me back into the Orthodox fold?  I was originally ROCOR but I assume that I can re enter Orthodoxy through any jurisdiction with a valid priest.  If I entered Orthodoxy by going to a Greek Orthodox priest then could I get a transfer from ROCOR to the GOA?

Also, is it true that people who apostatized from Orthodoxy must be brought back by re Christian or would just a simple confession to a priest suffice?  Also, how do you go about getting a transfer from one jurisdiction to another?

Thank you for any help with this.

Robb
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 02:18:57 PM by Robb » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
rwprof
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 02:49:56 PM »

You don't need a transfer -- Orthodox is Orthodox. You should speak to a priest about this. What he will do depends on the situation.

Welcome home!

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 11:31:45 PM »

Robb,

Welcome to the forum!  It sounds like, from your initial description, that you may have suffered from "convert burnout."  THere have been several threads dedicated to that phenomenon here. If I may be so bold to ask, what prompted you to go back to the RC only to reconsider the EO later?  As long as you have an honest answer, then I think you will be fine.  I just hope that you don't end up "swiming the Tiber" again five years down the line.  It doesn't matter which jurisdiction you choose, but make sure you have a good relationship with the particular parish and priest that you decide to go with. I don't know if you would need to be rechrismated, reexoricsed or what.  I have a feeling that the ROCOR would be more likely to do that than the GOA, but I could be wrong.   Good luck to you.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 02:35:19 AM »

Thank you for your replies.  I hope that I end up staying this time too and will do my best to be a good Orthodox Christian.  I reverted to the Rc because I was, at the time, surrounded by a see of heterodox believers (including my Catholic family).  I tried to be a good Orthodox person but when you are surrounded by people who not only believe differently then you, but also constantly question your beliefs and put pressure on you to return to theirs then you have some problems. 

Unfortunately, I am still in this situation but I can always try my best again.  It is true that there is no guarantee that I will remain Orthodox the rest of my life, but is there any guarantee that any of us will persevere till the end.  All I can do is try my best.

Robb

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 05:05:18 AM »

You are a layman. You don't need an official transfer from ROCOR to GOA as they are in communion now.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:30:18 AM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 09:48:32 AM »

All you really need to do is meet with an Orthodox priest and make a confession, you will then re-enter the Orthodox Communion.
Welcome back!

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 03:48:52 PM »

If you left the EOC for the RCC, you will probably be re-initiated by Chrismation.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 05:07:11 PM »

I probably should say that I was never officially re initiated into the RCC.  I just went to confession and the priest told me that he thought it would suffice for me reenter the fold.

I never was re confirmed and I certainly didn't take any pledge to rejoin in Fold of a priest.

-- Gustave Flaubert
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: