OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 04:24:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV game show created to convert atheists  (Read 1177 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: July 04, 2009, 01:57:21 PM »

You may think that this is something created in the USA, but no!

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSTRE5622D020090703?feedType=RSS&feedName=entertainmentNews&rpc=22&sp=true

Turkish TV gameshow looks to convert atheists

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - What happens when you put a Muslim imam, a Christian priest, a rabbi and a Buddhist monk in a room with 10 atheists?

Turkish television station Kanal T hopes the answer is a ratings success as it prepares to launch a gameshow where spiritual guides from the four faiths will seek to convert a group of non-believers.

The prize for converts will be a pilgrimage to a holy site of their chosen religion -- Mecca for Muslims, the Vatican for Christians, Jerusalem for Jews and Tibet for Buddhists.

I love it how the gameshow assumes that the Vatican is the "center" of Christianity!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 07:42:30 PM »

You may think that this is something created in the USA, but no!

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSTRE5622D020090703?feedType=RSS&feedName=entertainmentNews&rpc=22&sp=true

Turkish TV gameshow looks to convert atheists

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - What happens when you put a Muslim imam, a Christian priest, a rabbi and a Buddhist monk in a room with 10 atheists?

Turkish television station Kanal T hopes the answer is a ratings success as it prepares to launch a gameshow where spiritual guides from the four faiths will seek to convert a group of non-believers.

The prize for converts will be a pilgrimage to a holy site of their chosen religion -- Mecca for Muslims, the Vatican for Christians, Jerusalem for Jews and Tibet for Buddhists.

I love it how the gameshow assumes that the Vatican is the "center" of Christianity!

Love to know how they are getting permission from the Chinese to visit Tibet.

It's Turkish television: can't admit Constantinople nor Antioch (both presently under Turkish occupation) nor Jerusalem has Christians.

I went to the 4th of July parade to see my son (playing the trumpet).  In it there was a lot of church floats, and one by Rob Sherman of atheist fame.

Derogatory term replaced by a more appropriate one. --Heorhij, Mod., "Religious topics"
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 09:40:24 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 10:08:47 PM »

World War III?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 11:05:35 PM »

This has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 06:07:37 PM »

This has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen!

How many American Televangelists do you suppose with think this is a GREAT idea, of course only if they are converted to Christianity? I bet at least a few would like to see an American version of this.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 06:13:05 PM »

t sounds like the beginning of a joke: what do you get when you put a Muslim imam, a Greek Orthodox priest, a rabbi, a Buddhist monk and 10 atheists in the same room?

Viewers of Turkish television will soon get the punchline when a new gameshow begins that offers a prize arguably greater than that offered by Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Contestants will ponder whether to believe or not to believe when they pit their godless convictions against the possibilities of a new relationship with the almighty on Penitents Compete (Tovbekarlar Yarisiyor in Turkish), to be broadcast by the Kanal T station. Four spiritual guides from the different religions will seek to convert at least one of the 10 atheists in each programme to their faith.

Those persuaded will be rewarded with a pilgrimage to the spiritual home of their newly chosen creed – Mecca for Muslims, Jerusalem for Christians and Jews, and Tibet for Buddhists.

source

Slightly different version. I wonder which one is true.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 06:25:58 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 10:43:55 AM »

Let's just hope that it will either end soon or that we will win. Lol. Tongue

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
biosofia

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 04:31:33 AM »

World War III?

Do you know any Christian priest, rabbi or Buddhist monk that promotes violence to solve differences?

Anyway, this thread misuses the term "atheist". I believe that the 10 people are "sceptics", not simply "atheists", because one may become Buddhist and  still deny the existence of god(s). So, the Buddhist monk wouldn't need to convert them from "atheism".
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 04:40:35 AM by biosofia » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 10:59:09 AM »

World War III?

Do you know any Christian priest, rabbi or Buddhist monk that promotes violence to solve differences?

Teh joke, it is lost.  My point was that this line sounds like the setup to a cheesy joke with a stereotypical punchline.  Besides that, yes, there are those within religious orders who support war efforts to solve differences.  That's their issue to take up with their superiors, not mine to judge.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 12:01:23 AM »

Love to know how they are getting permission from the Chinese to visit Tibet.

It's Turkish television: can't admit Constantinople nor Antioch (both presently under Turkish occupation) nor Jerusalem has Christians.
Alexandria. Don't forget Alexandria.

And to non-Orthodox, it may seem kind of embarrassing that three of the four patriarchates are in (nominally) Muslim countries, with the fourth in the Jewish state.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 02:53:55 AM »

Anyway, this thread misuses the term "atheist". I believe that the 10 people are "skeptics", not simply "atheists", because one may become Buddhist and  still deny the existence of god(s). So, the Buddhist monk wouldn't need to convert them from "atheism".

Never mind the rich history of ethnic Jews as atheists.  While initially seeming contradictory, to deny God conceptually actually fits quite well with Jewish notions of the divine.  Because God is uncontainable and beyond all rational faculties, the denial of even a finite human conception God can be seen as being in line with the prohibition against idolatry.  We don't typically think of "conceptual idolatry", but there is certainly some element of that at work in atheistic Jews.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: