OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 05:33:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catechumen name  (Read 1292 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: July 02, 2009, 10:19:21 PM »

Does the Church allow catechumens to take the name of Mary as their Faith Name?

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 10:44:30 PM »

Certainly.  If you come to heavily populated Orthodox/Catholic areas you'd be amazed at the number of women named Mary/Maria.  What an awesome name to take! 

David Leon

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 10:54:13 PM »

I'd like to point out that "Mary" doesn't necessarily refer to the Mother of God.  Mary of Egypt, Mary Magdalene, etc.

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 10:57:37 PM »

Absolutely! Just the other day I had a bunch of friends over, and we all were different "Mary's":

Despina, Madeline, Maureen, and there actually was a Mary in the bunch.  Cheesy

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 11:18:01 PM »

Don't forget the Gaelic Máire and the Anglicized MauraSmiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:37:51 PM »

What about feminized twists to Saints' names, such as Paula or Michaela?  Embarrassed

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 11:42:06 PM »

Certainly.  If you come to heavily populated Orthodox/Catholic areas you'd be amazed at the number of women named Mary/Maria.  What an awesome name to take
Indeed! That is also my sister's and grandmother's name. I love it Roll Eyes

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 01:50:07 AM »

Don't forget the Gaelic Máire and the Anglicized MauraSmiley

Yep, Maureen is the diminutive of Maura. :-)

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 01:51:22 AM »

What about feminized twists to Saints' names, such as Paula or Michaela?  Embarrassed

Absolutely! This is done all the time.

LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 02:04:37 AM »

Ummm, not quite, if you're in a Slavic culture. Greeks and some others freely use femininised masculine names (Georgia/Georgina from George, etc), and, less commonly, masculine forms of feminine names, but, unless you're a monastic (nuns are often given feminised male names at tonsure), that doesn't happen in Russian culture. By their reckoning, there has to be a saint of the same gender as the catechumen for the name to be considered acceptable. However, I'm happy to say that there are indeed female saints called Paula (an early martyr), and Michaela (New-martyr Michaela of Moscow, a nun, who was killed by the NKVD in 1937 - her patron at tonsure was the Archangel Michael). So, even if your priest is Russian, there should be no problem at all taking the names Paula or Michaela.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 02:05:20 AM by LBK » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 02:24:39 AM »

Ummm, not quite, if you're in a Slavic culture. Greeks and some others freely use femininised masculine names (Georgia/Georgina from George, etc), and, less commonly, masculine forms of feminine names, but, unless you're a monastic (nuns are often given feminised male names at tonsure), that doesn't happen in Russian culture. By their reckoning, there has to be a saint of the same gender as the catechumen for the name to be considered acceptable. However, I'm happy to say that there are indeed female saints called Paula (an early martyr), and Michaela (New-martyr Michaela of Moscow, a nun, who was killed by the NKVD in 1937 - her patron at tonsure was the Archangel Michael). So, even if your priest is Russian, there should be no problem at all taking the names Paula or Michaela.

I'm not sure about this as I knew a few Nichole's (St. Nicholas of Myra) that are of Slavic background.

The bottom line is this: Ask your priest. He will guide you as to what is best.

Etsi

Jurisdiction: Greek

Always reflecting and reforming.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »

Is there a problem with this?  (Honestly asking...I'm new to all of this Wink )
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 09:03:28 AM »

Is there a problem with this?  (Honestly asking...I'm new to all of this Wink )

Your question was answered above, but I'll repeat: There are many cases in which this is common - and, thus, no problem.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Etsi

Jurisdiction: Greek

Always reflecting and reforming.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 09:22:40 AM »

No, I was wondering if the poster had a personal issue with it due to the smiley they chose.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: