OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 10:27:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AN ADDRESS TO THE ROCA (L)  (Read 4312 times) Average Rating: 0
Seraphim Reeves
Elder

« on: November 15, 2003, 01:06:40 AM »

An Address to the Members of ROCA (L) by Bishop Gregory of Denver and Colorado was just posted to the Euphrosynos Cafe by Father George of Dormition Skete.   I would strongly suggest everyone take a look at it, most particularly those who it is explicitly addressed to.

Bishop Gregory Addresses the ROCOR

Seraphim

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 02:08:35 AM »

Oh, if Father Seraphim Rose could see his picture sitting next to an exhortation delivered by a bishop of ROAC.  :smiley8:

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 05:02:27 AM »

You need a yawning smiley.  This is similar:   Roll Eyes
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 09:26:31 AM »

I don't suppose that you're going to read this, Mr. Reeves, but I see Fr. Mark has objected to your post, and he has made a reply concerning Joe Zollars's anomalous state that applies equally to you. And funny thing: he uses almost the same words that I used in decrying that same anomaly.

It keeps coming back to the same point. Bishop Gregory of ROAC (and I notice how you omitted that crucial identification) has a personal history of his own which renders his own words very suspect. If I may be excused for a rather rude comparison, he sounds like the fisherman's wife in Grimm's fairy tale. He has moved from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, securing better and better titles along the way. What will happen when he decides he should be patriarch? Will he end up as the head of his own cockamamie "Orthodox" "church"? After that, the only thing left is to become Michael Travesser!
Keble
Archon

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 09:27:43 AM »

Oh, if Father Seraphim Rose could see his picture sitting next to an exhortation delivered by a bishop of ROAC.  :smiley8:

I was wondering whom Mr. Reeves was dressing up as. Embarrassed Roll Eyes Tongue
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 12:42:05 PM »

[surface]he might just rejoice and agree! but most likely not as he was a staunch proponet of the neo-gnostic theory of the toll booths.[/surface]

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 12:43:40 PM »

Ah, so now Joe Zollars is a disciple of Archbishop Lazar (Puhalo)? At least he would be going "canonical"...

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Innocent
No longer posting on this site
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 12:50:05 PM »

This man lived as a monk in wilderness for many years. Before criticizing him you might want to at the very least be Orthodox for a few years!

[surface]he might just rejoice and agree! but most likely not as he was a staunch proponet of the neo-gnostic theory of the toll booths.[/surface]
Innocent
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2003, 12:52:41 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Archbishop Lazar is now under the OCA?

I had a correspondence with him a year or so back. He is a very nice and humble man.

Ah, so now Joe Zollars is a disciple of Archbishop Lazar (Puhalo)? At least he would be going "canonical"...

anastasios
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2003, 02:09:00 PM »

"How tragic that some are now leading their flocks(albeit still very small flocks) out of communion with the only people who can still teach them what Orthodoxy is and help them to wake up from their fantasies of a 'super-correct' Orthodoxy that exists nowhere in the world."
-Fr. Seraphim Rose
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 02:11:10 PM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Innocent
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2003, 02:12:10 PM »

This is a very good quote. And very sadly true!

"How tragic that some are now leading their flocks(albeit still very small flocks) out of communion with the only people who can still teach them what Orthodoxy is and help them to wake up from their fantasies of a 'super-correct' Orthodoxy that exists nowhere in the world."
Keble
Archon

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2003, 03:16:28 PM »

Gee, I never liked Seraphim Rose all that much, but now I'm starting to turn into one of his fans. Shocked
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2003, 04:08:50 PM »

If I may be excused for a rather rude comparison, he sounds like the fisherman's wife in Grimm's fairy tale.

And all this time I thought Pushkin made up that story!  Wink

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2003, 07:55:49 PM »

Wasn't Joe an ultraconservative Traditional Latin Rite Christian, follower of Archbishop Lefebvre?

I think I'm getting lost.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2003, 09:19:21 PM »

he might just rejoice and agree! but most likely not as he was a staunch proponet of the neo-gnostic theory of the toll booths

Hey! I've been on the New York State Thru-Way and have actually seen the toll booths!

Does that make me a Neo-Gnostic?

But, then, I am not a proponent of them, so I guess I'm still Orthodox.

Grin

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2003, 03:06:28 PM »

It keeps coming back to the same point. Bishop Gregory of ROAC (and I notice how you omitted that crucial identification) has a personal history of his own which renders his own words very suspect.

No fooling!  Astoundingly, a short probe into the man's history reveals him to be Lebanese in extract (on a serious note, that's flabbergasting).  Now you can be sure Syrians everywhere, like myself, will never be joining this jurisdiction!  I must say outright that I would hate to identify the Church with an organisation co-lead by the Keanu Reeves* of bishops.  They both have the same ever-confused look on their faces.

Then again, the last remnant of Orthodoxy may just have a Maronite mole amongst its ranks without even realising it.  The smell of sulphurous intrigue grows more pungent.

Permit these few flippant, facetious comments on this deserving a topic.  Of course, no offence towards the Lebanese intended, rest assured. Smiley

*Lebanese-born, Matrix inquirers.

In IC XC
Samer
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 03:20:28 PM by SamB » Logged
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2003, 03:39:55 PM »

One thing from his bio that I don't get: he ditched the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch - the jurisdiction of his birth - for ROCOR around 1965 for being soft on ecumenism. But ROCOR sent observers to Vatican II.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 03:40:47 PM by Serge » Logged

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2003, 04:48:19 PM »

OK, enough talk about ROAC.  Please people, Zollars and Reeves have quit the board so let's just leave it at that.

Also, while I agree in substance with Keble's concerns for the man linked in this thread, he is not a participant on our board so is it really fair to talk about him behind his back?

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags: ROCOR ROAC Zollars Euphrosynos Cafe Puhalo Lazar Puhalo 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: