OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 08:45:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning the 8 tones  (Read 9573 times) Average Rating: 0
BBA

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 01, 2009, 12:23:27 PM »

I am trying to self study and learn the 8 tones.  Can anybody recommend good resources for this?  Recordings (preferrably of a single chanter rather than a choir) and sheet music for the various parts.  Oh, in English please.

Thanks.
basilthefool

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Boston (HOCNA)

htfulcher@comcast.net
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 12:33:06 PM »

Have a look at http://www.liturgica.com/cart/results.jsp?catId=2&next=15. This site has a plethora of Orthodox music and can be searched by style (Byzantine, Slavonic, etc.) as well as language. Personally, I find Fr Apostolos Hill's music most edifying from a learning standpoint. In addition, Holy Transfiguration Monastery has a two CD set of Byzantine Prosomia (model melodies used by many troparia). And Fr Seraphim Dedes has quite a full list of basic hymnody in English in each tone ("Mode" in his terminology) available for purchase/download. His works include separate volumes for Holy Week music and various Katavasiae, etc.

In all of these (and others you can find available for purchase on the net) the wording may not coincide with your particular Church's preferred translations, but you will soon become familiar enough with the range and cadence of each tone and be able to adapt.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:14:15 PM »

This is the best single resource: http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/music/Index.html

You'll find music for all of the major services in all 8 modes, written in Byzantine and western notation, as well as audio recordings. There are also downloadable pdfs that explain the history and theory of Byzantine music.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 01:38:17 PM »

This is the best single resource: http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/music/Index.html

You'll find music for all of the major services in all 8 modes, written in Byzantine and western notation, as well as audio recordings. There are also downloadable pdfs that explain the history and theory of Byzantine music.

Agreed!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
JAWS_Thomas

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA-DOW

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 02:05:24 PM »

While I would agree that St. Anthony's is a wonderful resource for byzantine, I also wonder if the poster, who identified as OCA, is inquiring about the Obikhod or Kievan rather than the Byzantine.

"If you're an alien why do you sound like you're from the North?"
"Lots of planets have a north."

-Rose Tyler asking Doctor Who about his accent
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 02:18:20 PM »

While I would agree that St. Anthony's is a wonderful resource for byzantine, I also wonder if the poster, who identified as OCA, is inquiring about the Obikhod or Kievan rather than the Byzantine.

Probably. In that case, there is nothing even close to as comprehensive.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 02:34:49 PM »

It would have been nice if they would have told us what they were looking for... besides the demand that it is in English.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 02:35:34 PM by username! » Logged

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 03:13:57 PM »

A source I've used quite extensively when preparing services for home and church:

http://www.oca.org/MDmusic.asp?SID=13

Clicking the links within the section devoted to "Services of the Weekly Cycle (Oktoechos)" will take you to a pretty decent page on each of the eight tones used in OCA practice.  It's by no means comprehensive, but it may give you some material to work with.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 03:15:07 PM »

It would have been nice if they would have told us what they were looking for... besides the demand that it is in English.
Maybe he simply wasn't aware of the difference between Byzantine practice and Slavic practice and needed us to bring that out of him by asking. Wink
BBA

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 03:39:31 PM »

my apologies, yes I am more interested in the russian tonals, although from what I have read at least some of them seem to be based off of the byzantine.

Thanks all the links so far, I will browse them and see what is useful.  keep coming with any other suggestions.

I wish someone would put together some type of program with literature and recordings that is specifically designed for learning the tones as opposed to just trying to learn them by practicing the songs to sheet music.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 09:35:20 PM »

^But that is the best way.  Rather than try to learn the tones in a purely academic way you should connect them to the hymnography and you will become a better chanter.

Also, listen to a lot of different music as well.  Here are some of my personal recommendations:

Holy Saturday, Holy Pascha, Hymns of Holy Week:  The Vatopaidi Fathers (in Greek)
Vespers, Matins, Agni Partheni, Divine Liturgy:  Monks of Simonopetra (in Greek)
Mystical Supper:  St.  Mary Church (in English)
Thy Passion:  Boston Byzantine Choir (in English)
Byzantine Hymns of the Nativity:  School of Ecclesiastic Music (in ARabica with some Greek)
Service to St. John Damascene:  Balamand school (Arabic)

There is such a variety of the different tones in all of these.  YOu can get them on Liturgica.  Very much worth the price!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 09:57:37 PM »

my apologies, yes I am more interested in the russian tonals, although from what I have read at least some of them seem to be based off of the byzantine.

Thanks all the links so far, I will browse them and see what is useful.  keep coming with any other suggestions.

I wish someone would put together some type of program with literature and recordings that is specifically designed for learning the tones as opposed to just trying to learn them by practicing the songs to sheet music.

I have a splendid link somewhere for a nice Obikhod chant page but the recordings are in Church Slavonic.
I also have a link to the tone system for Galician/Samilovka chant in English and Ukrainian.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 09:59:43 PM by username! » Logged

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 10:02:34 PM »

Maybe he simply wasn't aware of the difference between Byzantine practice and Slavic practice and needed us to bring that out of him by asking. Wink

Interestingly, the Bulgarians use Byzantine chanting side by side with Slavic choral music, with the chanting in old Church Slavonic and the choral hymns in modern Bulgarian.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 10:46:58 AM »

A source I've used quite extensively when preparing services for home and church:

http://www.oca.org/MDmusic.asp?SID=13

Clicking the links within the section devoted to "Services of the Weekly Cycle (Oktoechos)" will take you to a pretty decent page on each of the eight tones used in OCA practice.  It's by no means comprehensive, but it may give you some material to work with.

I also like the recordings on this page: http://commons.orthodoxwiki.org/The_Eight_Tones

I only wish the list was complete.
frost

Jurisdiction: Antiochian, grew up in OCA

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 10:25:53 PM »

If you are interested in the Russian chant tradition, you can purchase books with all the tones from St. Vladimir's Seminary Bookstore. They have one volume for Vespers with all 8 tone in the Bakhmetev Obikhod, the Kievan tones (by far my preference) and also in Carpatho-Rusyn Tones. It also includes several melodies / compositions for the fixed hymns of the service. There is a much larger volume for the Divine Liturgy; but I am not aware of an Orthros (Matins) book. There are also volumes for the Presanctiifed Liturgy, Holy Week (3 volumes) and Pascha. I believe there are a number of donwloads availabe from the oca.org web-site. You might also check out the Psalm.org web-site. If you live in the Northeast, St Vladimir's Semianry has a liturgical retreat every summer, I think in June. You might check out their web-site.  The ROCOR has, or at least had, an annual choir retreat at Jordanville; but I think it was all Slavonic text music (I could be wrong or out of date on that, perhaps some one else might know).  I think most of us were personally trained in the old days.

Best wishes

FF
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 10:41:35 PM »

If you want to learn Carpatho-Russian chant (prostopinije) I would recommend anything from the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese first.  It is their signature chant and they do it far better than the OCA.  The OCA tends to over-simplify the Carpatho-Russian Chant.  I know the tonal system of Carpatho-Russian chant at almost 100% and the OCA so-called "Carpatho-Russian Chant" isn't even close. 
The only time I've heard an OCA church do it correctly was a church that only uses Carpatho-Russian chant
 At the mission vespers at that Carpatho-Russian chant system usage OCA parish EVERYONE sang the vespers. Most of the people there weren't from that parish, the music is that catchy and everyone sang with gusto!  It's so easy to sing and you can pick it up on the spot. Like Samolivka/Galician chant prostopinije is congregational singing.  It is lead by a cantor who starts the first few words and the entire congregation joins in.   

One Carpatho-Russian paraliturgical hymn that is widely borrowed by Orthodox of all jurisdictions is A New Commandment.  Catchy?  You should listen to the Prostopinije tonal system.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:43:08 PM by username! » Logged

kelfar

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Byzantine Chant

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 05:42:27 PM »

Check my personal website: http://www.orthodoxiaradio.org
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 06:26:50 PM »

If you want to learn Carpatho-Russian chant (prostopinije) I would recommend anything from the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese first.  It is their signature chant and they do it far better than the OCA.  The OCA tends to over-simplify the Carpatho-Russian Chant.  I know the tonal system of Carpatho-Russian chant at almost 100% and the OCA so-called "Carpatho-Russian Chant" isn't even close. 
The only time I've heard an OCA church do it correctly was a church that only uses Carpatho-Russian chant
 At the mission vespers at that Carpatho-Russian chant system usage OCA parish EVERYONE sang the vespers. Most of the people there weren't from that parish, the music is that catchy and everyone sang with gusto!  It's so easy to sing and you can pick it up on the spot. Like Samolivka/Galician chant prostopinije is congregational singing.  It is lead by a cantor who starts the first few words and the entire congregation joins in.   

One Carpatho-Russian paraliturgical hymn that is widely borrowed by Orthodox of all jurisdictions is A New Commandment.  Catchy?  You should listen to the Prostopinije tonal system.

Is that the one composed by Bishop Job?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 09:11:53 PM »

Check my personal website: http://www.orthodoxiaradio.org

This is absolutely wonderful!  Shukran, ya akhi Karim!  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 10:04:06 PM »

Why do so many people seem to try and sound "spooky" when they are singing/chanting? I love the sound of Eikona, who does not sing that way. The choir at the Greek Orthodox parish I attend (which occasionally features one of the Eikona singers) doesn't do it either. Is that a Greek thing or maybe an Eikona thing?
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 11:16:35 PM »

Spooky? Can you give an example of someone who chants this way? (Preferably someone well-known so I can look it up online and see what you mean)
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 11:28:02 PM »

Is that the one composed by Bishop Job?

I'm not familiar with Archbishop Job's work but I hear it is good prostopinije.  In fact if anyone could point me in the directioin to find his work either sheet music or online examples that'd be great.  I

Marat
Elder

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 11:33:37 PM »

Spooky? Can you give an example of someone who chants this way? (Preferably someone well-known so I can look it up online and see what you mean)

I don't know anyone well known so I'm resorting to youtube clips.

This is an example (but not the best) of one which I think seems spooky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq9YsGCtN7Y&feature=related

And the same song, also sang by men, but not spooky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBbYN73SXPQ&feature=related

I'm a horrible critic, picking at the smallest of details and finding fault. Like I could do anywhere near as well as these people.
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 12:55:07 AM »

I'm a horrible critic, picking at the smallest of details and finding fault. Like I could do anywhere near as well as these people.

Forgive me for stereotyping based on what little I know about you. I see your profile says you're Catholic. Perhaps the more dissonant Eastern-sounding Greek version makes it sound less natural to you than the Romanian version?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 02:52:01 AM »

Why do so many people seem to try and sound "spooky" when they are singing/chanting? I love the sound of Eikona, who does not sing that way. The choir at the Greek Orthodox parish I attend (which occasionally features one of the Eikona singers) doesn't do it either. Is that a Greek thing or maybe an Eikona thing?
What exactly does this have to do with the 8 tones?
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 03:17:55 AM »

For Galician Chant: http://www.albertacantors.ca/home.asp

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Marat
Elder

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 10:52:33 AM »

Sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack it. I was listening to something on a link provided and it made me think of it again. At Divine Liturgy on Sunday, a visiting priest would do it while the resident priest did not. They were celebrating together which sounded very odd to me. Again, it came to mind and I thought I would ask. I didn't mean to go off track or sound critical.

Yes, I am a Catholic. I also attend Divine Liturgy services fairly regularly now. I attended also 3 to 5 years ago before getting discouraged and that is when I joined the Catholic Church. I have a great love for the Orthodox Church and faith, which is why I am here.
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 12:28:18 PM »

The first version is sung by the choir of Simonos Petras.

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
Tags: liturgical music chant 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: