OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 04:42:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning the Special Melodies  (Read 1382 times) Average Rating: 0
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« on: July 07, 2009, 02:25:13 PM »

What I would like to learn are all the Special Melodies.  Some I know, but only a few.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
rwprof
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 05:03:01 PM »

You mean the 8 tones? See this thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,22098.0

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:25:30 PM »

HTM has a two CD set with PDF files on the second CD which has (In western notation) the melodies with and without text organized by the respective tones.  There are very few special melodies in the Varys (7th tone) so they are not included but there are a lot for tones 4 and plagal of 4.  I recommend it.  Just remember that the "special melodies" vary from the Greek to the Arabic  sometimes only slightly, but other times, pretty significantly.  And a lot of special melodies in the same tone are very similar to one another (see tone 3).

http://www.liturgica.com/cart/musicInfo.jsp?catNo=AB081

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 05:33:44 PM »

Actually they use the 8 tones, but there are some special melodies that differ from the regular 8 tones.  One would be "O Marvelous Wonder".  In Slavonic it would be called Podoben.  For pre-Christmas services we sing:  Tone 2. House of Ephratha.  In some Greek books its called the Model Melody.  I hope that helps.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 08:28:14 PM »

Some good sources of material:

http://stephenhowanetz.tripod.com - especially useful is this page from the site:  http://stephenhowanetz.tripod.com/podobni.htm

http://www.orthodoxpsalm.org/index.html - You will need to have a login account to access their Liturgical Music Resource library, but I've found a lot of good special melodies, both Byzantine and Slavic, here.
monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:26:32 AM »

Many thanks to all for your suggestions and resources.  I'm sure this will be a great help.  I remember, many years ago, Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville had a cassette of special melodies.  I should check to see if its still available.  Maybe, its been released on cd (wishful thinking).  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:26:58 AM by monkvasyl » Logged

frost

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian, grew up in OCA

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 09:10:44 PM »

Dear Father Vasyl:

I have some xerox copies of the Valaam chant book published before the Revolution. It is in Church Slavonic with square note stave notation. The Valaam monstary melodies are mostly Malo-Znammeny; but there are unique local melodies as well. The popular Balakirev arrangement of " The Angel Cried" is based on the Valaam melody. I believe the Valaam Sbornik contains some podoben melodies for the various tones. If you are interested, please private e-mail me.  * PM me for my e-mail address. *  with a postal address, and I'll send you copies.

Best wishes for your studies

FF

MODERATION:  I deleted your private e-mail address from this post to protect your online privacy against all the web crawlers, worms, bots, and other such programs that might glean your e-mail address from this post and use it for nefarious purposes.  Our private messaging system is a much more secure way to share e-mail addresses, so I urge you, for your own safety, to use private messages as your means of sharing your e-mail address with others in the future.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 09:47:38 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: