OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 12:27:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For David and other "Lord of the Rings" fans  (Read 4538 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« on: November 14, 2003, 11:47:25 AM »

http://www.tolkienonline.com/gallery/gallery_item.cfm?ID=7465

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 01:56:00 AM »

lol, cute very cute

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 04:57:00 PM »

That was great!  Smiley

BTW--the SWMBO and I watched the Extended version of THE TWO TOWERS last night, and we both agreed it a better, more complete version than the theatrical version.  The added back in a lot of cool stuff from the book. I highly recommend watching it! :bounce:

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 06:27:28 PM »

Oh good...so it's worth the buy even though I have the other DVD?

Absolutely!  Last year I bought the theater version of FOTR then bought the extended version as well three months later, and it too was certainly worth it.  This year I held off and waited to just buy the extended version of TT (though we did rent the theater version this past summer).

I'm just looking forward to next year when we have all three extended versions and can have a LOTR marathon one weekend or during the holidays!  Grin
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 06:27:51 PM by Doubting Thomas » Logged

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2003, 08:04:48 PM »

The DVD of "Two Towers" theatrical release is worth buying as it has amoung other things, Sean Astin's short film "The Long and the Short of It." that he made during the principle filming. It's a charming short with John Lessnie (Director of Photography), Phuan (One of the size doubles for the hobbits) and a gentleman who was a size double to make the hobbit stars look small "Tall Paul".  Then there's the preview of the Return of the King.  

The Extended Version doesn't have those, but does have both the additional scenes (The long one with Denethor is most revealing for Faramir's characterization) and and more of the Ents. There's also some marvelous background material.  I love the interviews with the swordmaster and the stunt people and learning how carefully things were designed and made.

I admit it. I have both.  Cheesy

In case you don't know about it,
www.theonering.net  is a great source for news and information.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2003, 12:59:39 AM »

The Long and the Short of It is wonderful.

I have both the theatrical and extended versions of both Fellowship and Two Towers.  And plan to buy both ROTK versions.  There really isn't any overlap between the two.  Each dvd set has a different cut of the film, and seperate extras, so it is worth it to me to have both.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 11:16:40 PM »

Newsweek magazine has several pages on Return of the King and Aragorn with sword on the front cover... fyi

Ebor

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 11:33:20 PM »

Here's a direct link to the article

-Yazid Ibrahim
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2003, 10:41:38 PM »

The Return of the King had its world premiere in Wellington New Zealand and here is a cartoon from the Kiwi papers that you might enjoy:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2743526a1863,00.html

Lots of good press and entertainment.  Jackson actually wore shoes and trousers instead of shorts and barefoot, but Liv Tyler *was* barefoot on the red carpet so she could meet fans more easily (said she learnt to go barefoot from P.J.)  There were Wraiths and Rohirrim and elves and Haradrim in the parade which was led by some Maori.

Ebor

< fixed link. John >
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 09:17:23 AM by prodromos » Logged

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2003, 10:53:44 PM »

Is it December 17th yet?Huh

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 11:59:24 PM »

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2003, 12:48:28 AM »

Soon...precious...soon....

-Yazid Ibrahim
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 09:49:12 AM »

Soon all we'll have to do is wait for next November and the release of the Return of the King extended version DVD. Cheesy  I can't WAIT already.  I don't know why the cut things out of these movies.  whats 40 more minutes anyhow?  Fans will sit the extra 40 minutes willingly!

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2003, 10:27:00 AM »

not me.  I'm not at all interested in the SHORT version.  EGADS that's heretical!! Paramount to buying an ABBREVIATED bible!!
what are you - protestant??? Wink

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2003, 01:10:57 AM »

Six

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2003, 09:45:15 AM »

so will anyone here be attending the LORT marathon?  There is a theatre here that will be showing all 3 movies back to back Shocked  Thats alot of hours of sitting in one place . . . .

prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2003, 09:53:50 AM »

TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2003, 10:26:27 AM »

Hey! I saw "The Two Towers" on Sunday. It was sooo much more boring than the first movie. Really. Not Kidding. It was boring.
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2003, 12:16:16 PM »

Can we put it on the calendar?  It's LIKE a religious experience!!!

The Feast of the Return of the King?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2003, 12:32:10 PM »

Hey! I saw "The Two Towers" on Sunday. It was sooo much more boring than the first movie. Really. Not Kidding. It was boring.

BLASPHEMY!!!!

*tears his garments*

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2003, 01:22:34 PM »

BLASPHEMY!!!!

*tears his garments*

I don't know. I need to see the director's cut. What I saw at the theater had some MAJOR edits and it was vastly inferior to the book. Now, don't go off on how books are always better. When I say VASTLY inferior, I mean it. Read the book. There's no substitute.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2003, 01:24:12 PM »

Slava Isusu Christu!

Please give me some credit, my good man.  I read those books 20 years ago and read them every year.  I'm one of those "hardcore" fans the newspapers always refer to.

Of course there were no elves at Helm's Deep.  Of course Jackson completely screwed up the introduction of Faramir (my favorite character).

But boring?  

Nah.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2003, 03:04:58 PM »

I don't know. I need to see the director's cut. What I saw at the theater had some MAJOR edits and it was vastly inferior to the book. Now, don't go off on how books are always better. When I say VASTLY inferior, I mean it. Read the book. There's no substitute.

The extended version is great!  It adds a lot back to the movie that was in the book.  It also has an interesting flashback sequence involving Faramir, Boromir, and Denethor.

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2003, 03:22:10 PM »

I like that the extended edition brought back the Huorns as well.  I hated hated HATED that they changed the box of dirt(with the mallorn seed) into a box of seasoning from the Shire.  I guess since they're not going to do the Scouring of the Shire section it is unneccesary, but for me it was like salt in a wound.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2003, 03:31:45 PM »

I was really looking forward to the scouring of the shire. That's one of my favourite bits.

Is it not even going to be on the extended version?

PT

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2003, 03:36:26 PM »

No, they never filmed it. Sad

Also, Sarumann will not be in RotK at all, though his death(at Isenguard) will be in the extended version.

The Scouring of the Shire and The Grey Havens were the two best chapters in the entire book for me.  I hope they get The Grey Havens right.

-Yazid Ibrahim
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2003, 03:37:32 PM »

Here's an entire subforum dedicated to RotK:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=f23db208604b5938062b874ed572f5ba&forumid=34

-Yazid Ibrahim
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2003, 03:42:01 PM »

Much like Elves in Helm's Deep, I was right upset when I found out that the Scouring of the Shire wasn't going to be a part of the films.

Seeing Saruman trying slink away like a beggar and refusing the help of the hobbits is really powerful in showing how much the world has already changed with the destruction of the One Ring and how wrong Saruman's "bulldozer" mentality is.  He exemplified everything the good Professor thought was wrong with the world.

To have it cut out is just wrong, especially since we sort of saw a glimpse of it when Frodo looked in Galadriel's Mirror in the first film.  Of course, that was what would happen if the One Ring wasn't destroyed, but it's quite powerful imagery when it STILL happens because of Saruman.  It shows just how low the Istari sank in his time on Middle Earth.

Okay, I'm done geeking out.

For now.

Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2003, 03:58:58 PM »

Much like Elves in Helm's Deep, I was right upset when I found out that the Scouring of the Shire wasn't going to be a part of the films.

I kinda' liked the elves at Helm's Deep in the movie.  (I wasn't too keen on Frodo being taken to Osgiliath and showing the Nazgul he had the ring--wouldn't Sauron realize, then, that Pippin did NOT have it?)  I do wish that Peter Jackson would reconsider and shoot the "Scouring of the Shire" for the extended DVD.  :-";"xx

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2003, 04:05:30 PM »

I kinda' liked the elves at Helm's Deep in the movie.  (I wasn't too keen on Frodo being taken to Osgiliath and showing the Nazgul he had the ring--wouldn't Sauron realize, then, that Pippin did NOT have it?)  I do wish that Peter Jackson would reconsider and shoot the "Scouring of the Shire" for the extended DVD.  :-

Indeed.  Frodo had no business going to Osgiliath.  Not only did it show that Pippin didn't have the ring, but it sullied Faramir, whose noble actions with Frodo from the start did much to redeem the family from his brother's noble, but corrupt, actions with the hobbit.  While the end result was Frodo being let go in the films, Faramir's actions up until then show he was just like his brother, which is the furthest thing from the truth.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2003, 08:49:38 PM »

BLASPHEMY!!!!

*tears his garments*

The extended version fixes a lot of the problems I had with the theatrical release.  I'm still a bit bent out of shape over Frodo going to Osgiliath and the removal of Minus Morgul from the story line, but all in all they have done an EXCELLENT job telling the story.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2003, 11:28:44 PM »

Trying to cover many posts in one as per our Esteemed Leaders request.

David, the box of salt and seasonings doesnt' replace the earth and Mallorn seed, it's in the books that Samwise, along with his pans and cooking gear has salt.  It's a detail, not a substitution.

I've been reading over at www.theonering.net for over a year.  They cover articles and information from all over relating to both the books and the movies.  And there's more info in the commentary tracks on the extended versions.  Movies work differently then books, re pacing, climax and so forth.  That guided why there is not Scouring of the Shire. On the other hand, I read articles this week that there are something like 20 minutes of endings for all the major characters.  

The Faramir change is talked about by Philippa Boynes and Fran Walsh. For the movie, for everyone else, Elvish, Istari and human to be tempted by the ring and then have Faramir totally unaffected took the ring's power and gutted it.  The relations between Faramir, Boromir and Denethor are right from the book (both main story and appendices).  

Minas Morgul is shown more in the RotK as is Shelob.

Well, Sauron doesn't know much about Hobbits and doesn't know which one has the Ring, so it follows (per movie story line) that a small person sensed in Osgiliath and then via 'palantir' could be the same one for all he knows.  

From all I've read, the Grey Havens are done well indeed.  ymmv, but we'll know soon.

That's probably enough geeking for now, don't want to weary anyone. Cheesy

If you go here: http://www.wgbh.org/wgbh/pages/pri/spirit/listen.html
and have RealPlayer, you can listen to the "Sound and Spirit" program about LotR, with varous musics, and some discussion.  

Oh yes,

"Cinq"  Grin

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2003, 10:47:49 PM »

For today's news, here's a link to an NPR story about how the LotR movies were an incredible gamble for New Line, which has become the jackpot.

http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1544470.html

Plus unpleasent news from theonering.net that the French Premiere was wrecked by protestors against globalization and the French Minister of Culture.  

"They then proceeded to trash the exposition of cinemagraphic memorabila from the film. The exposition as well as the opening acompanying the "The Lord of the Rings" arrival in Paris were ruined by the group and numerous celebrities were displaced."    Sad Shocked

I have no idea *why* someone would protest a Minister of Culture or why it would be done at a movie.

Also, the Sunday colour comics has a LotR ref in "Foxtrot".

Quattro

Ebor
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 10:56:13 PM by Ebor » Logged

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2003, 10:39:45 PM »

While looking for reports on the French premiere, I found this article on a Jewish perspective on LotR via google news.  Spoiler Warning if you haven't read the books and don't know how the story ends, don't read it yet.

Anyway, it's

"San"

Ebor

prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2003, 04:06:31 AM »

DOH! <slaps forehead>

I was just about to ask what happened to your countdown when I realised you had simply switched languages Roll Eyes.

Did it have to be French though Huh (though I guess I wouldn't have recognised it at all if it was in Elvish Grin)

John
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2003, 07:10:22 PM »

I've been changing languages every day, John.  Numeric, English, French, Spanish (I think I mis-spelt it) and yesterday was Japanese.  I saved the Elvish and Mordor speech for the last 2 days.  Grin

In today's news, the Queen of Denmark went to the Danish Premiere.  She has illustrated Tolkien books.  Peter Jackson has put the Bag End set into a hill in his garden, he loved the rounded walls and comfort of it all so much that New Line let him keep it.  

The word from Paris is: It was the premiere party that the protestors crashed.  Nothing was damaged at the exhibit of Alan Lee and John Howe works and

"A staff member who had been present confirmed all of the above and added that some of the protesters had just headed for the drinks."

And, for John, in Quenya:

Atta

Ebor (I'm having too much fun with this and am probably annoying the neighbors.  Grin)

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2003, 12:55:22 AM »

KILL THE FRENCH!! - I mean . . . .um . . . . never mind

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2003, 07:46:27 PM »

For todayit is Miranda Otto's birthday, she's 36.

Also I have a bit from an "Empire Online" interview series.  From the one with Christopher Lee: He originally thought that he might be pegged to play Denethor.  When he was told he was wanted to be Saruman, he was delighted.  On Peter Jackson:

"I find him delightful, got a great sense of humour, used to fool around a lot, you know, playing tricks. I once delivered the Lord's Prayer in character, dressed and looking like Saruman, with my hands together, looking out into the air - they loved it."

The interviews can be found here:
http://www.empireonline.co.uk/features/interviews/thelordoftherings/

And as they say at Theonering.net, "Air and Space goes Geek".  On December 27 at the Air and Space Museum's Albert Einstein Planetarium, the monthly Star Lecture will be "A Star Shines On the Hour of Our Meeting":
"How accurate are the celestial happenings of Middle Earth? Staff astronomer, Sean O'Brien, uses the unique capabilities of the planetarium to simulate some of the celestial phenomena used within the great, created mythology of JRR Tolkien, author of "The Lord of the Rings." To add to the fun, passages and poetry by Tolkien will be read."

and the number of the day is

"Ash"  

(Ash nazg durbatuluk..."  Grin)

Ebor (you're probably going to be glad this is over.)

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: