OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 05:10:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fasting Problems  (Read 2715 times) Average Rating: 0
Apotheosis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« on: June 26, 2009, 09:36:24 PM »

Hello,

I have a problem. Whenever we have these big fasts like the one we are currently in (Apostles Fast), I begin to feel symptoms of anxiety and light-headedness. I have blood typ "O." From what I understand, around 50% of the polulation has this blood type. This type has been called the "cave man blood type," meaning, we require meat; and we seem to do best with beef. Only meat has the full chain of amino acids. I am having a hard time right now. Great Lent is horrible. I just checked my Church Calendar and noticed that after the Apostles Fast is over, we literally only have a few days to recover and then we start the Dormition Fast. Everytime I turn around we are starting some major fast again. I can't handle it. My brain is starving to death for protein. Apparently the Church Fathers were ignorant of the various blood types and different biological and psychological make-ups when they made all these fasts. My brain was so starving for protein, and my anxiety was so sever last Nativity Fast, that I had to do an emergency walk-in at my local mental health hospital. As soon as these fasts are over, I return to my normal state of mind again.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 09:41:29 PM »

I also have type O blood.

While I do sometimes exhibit symptoms that you are reporting, these symptoms occur independent of my fasting regime. How do you explain this?

My honest suggestion is that you should speak to a counselor or other health professional. You are having these symptoms, and they probably are not due to the combination of fasting and your (or our, since we share the same type!) blood.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:52:34 PM »

Apotheosis,

In my opinion, you should talk with your doctor regarding the advicedness of fasting in your case and your spiritual father regarding the spiritual benefits you might find through some avenue, other than strict fasting. Due to a medical condition, I am unable to fast, and I remember having a great guilt trip over it all. My own spiritual father told me that the Church wasn't in the business of making people ill and I could only do what I could do. We worked out a special *fast* that was suitable for me, but which includes all the food groups I need. All is not lost, if you can't follow the strict fasts.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
IPC
Elder

Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RZC

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 10:42:02 PM »

Dear Apotheosis

The Holy Fathers and Canons of the Church clearly say that fasting has to be done according to your own strenght, and personal circumstances.

You made me laugh a lot with your comment about cave men. My blood type is 0 negative, and according to some researches, my racial group has the purest genome in the world, and our languages, most of them extinct, can be traced as far as the cave men period.

All that of cave men, and the evolutionist tales are not true. The truth is we all come from Adam and Eve, from the tribes, and according to oral tradition, I am part of the lost tribe.

It's foolish to think you can't fast because of your blood type, I, who according to the tale of evolution am the closest to a cave man, with blood type O- have no problem at all fasting.

The Holy (Church) Fathers were not ignorant, the Holy Spirit guided them, and their teachings are based on the Truth, and not on human fallacies, and vain philosophy.

Be not corrupted by vain philosophy of men, don't believe in the heresies of psychiatry, psychology, evolution, and other pernicious heresies tailored by men, based on assumptions, and not the Truth.

If you can, fast, if you can't, don't fast, what's important is during fasting period, you redouble your efforts to repent, and come closer to God, fasting from pride, evil thoughts, anger, schadenfreude, hatred, loath, lewdness, sloth, and everything evil, is the core of fasting.

Fasting from food is just an aid, an external help, which should be done according to our own measure.

A friend who knew Saint John of Shanghai told me that once, the then Archbishop John, told a young man to have some meat for lunch. Amazed, my friend told him "Vladiko, Vladiko, it's Great Lent", Saint John looked at him, and said "This man needs to learn how to fast from his pride, and a little meat will teach him humility. God will not scrutinize us and see how much meat, or eggs, or milk we had during fasting, God will see our repentance in the treasury of our hearts".

THIS USER USED THE SCREEN NAME PRAVOSLAV09 BEFORE.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 10:55:32 PM »

Apotheosis,

We are not saved by our fasting nor condemned because of it.  Fasting by itself is just a diet.  If you feel, in consultation with your spiritual father, that you cannot  maintain the dietary fast because of certain medical conditions or needs, then you should not do it.  But, just like any fasting season, you should still increase in your times of prayer and almsgiving.  In fact, I would say the Holy Fathers would think those preferable as opposed to what sorts you may or may not ingest.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 11:25:31 PM »

Apotheosis,

We are not saved by our fasting nor condemned because of it.  Fasting by itself is just a diet.  If you feel, in consultation with your spiritual father, that you cannot  maintain the dietary fast because of certain medical conditions or needs, then you should not do it.  But, just like any fasting season, you should still increase in your times of prayer and almsgiving.  In fact, I would say the Holy Fathers would think those preferable as opposed to what sorts you may or may not ingest.

^^Well said!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Apotheosis

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 11:30:38 PM »

I also have type O blood.

While I do sometimes exhibit symptoms that you are reporting, these symptoms occur independent of my fasting regime. How do you explain this?

I can't explain it. I have just related my own experiences. Everyone is different.

My honest suggestion is that you should speak to a counselor or other health professional. You are having these symptoms, and they probably are not due to the combination of fasting and your (or our, since we share the same type!) blood.

Actually, they are due to my fasting. I have years of experience and know exactly what I am talking about. The "professionals" are just going to tell me to take it easy and not fast. That's not going to happen.
Apotheosis

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 11:34:58 PM »

You made me laugh a lot with your comment about cave men. My blood type is 0 negative, and according to some researches, my racial group has the purest genome in the world, and our languages, most of them extinct, can be traced as far as the cave men period.

There is no such thing as a pure genome. All humans are pure because all humans are made in the image of God. We are all equal.

All that of cave men, and the evolutionist tales are not true. The truth is we all come from Adam and Eve, from the tribes, and according to oral tradition, I am part of the lost tribe.

They are not implying evolution. It's just a label to describe our blood type and the fact we need meat.

It's foolish to think you can't fast because of your blood type, I, who according to the tale of evolution am the closest to a cave man, with blood type O- have no problem at all fasting.

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT. I HAVE RELATED MY OWN EXPERIENCES.

Apotheosis

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 11:40:36 PM »

Apotheosis,

Due to a medical condition, I am unable to fast,

Do you really believe that? Everyone can do some fasting. I actually believe we can get all the necessary protein we need from live foods (fruits, grains, nuts, vegetables), but you have to be an expert cook and willing to spend the kind of money necessary.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 12:17:52 AM »

Apotheosis,

Due to a medical condition, I am unable to fast,

Do you really believe that?

No, I don't believe it, I know it to be a fact. Smiley

Everyone can do some fasting.

Certainly, they can. Re-read my previous post to you. I was, however, referring to the strict fasting rules. Smiley

I actually believe we can get all the necessary protein we need from live foods (fruits, grains, nuts, vegetables), but you have to be an expert cook and willing to spend the kind of money necessary.

Nothing is stopping you from doing that, if you think that is what is necessary.

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:28:03 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 10:03:08 AM »

I once read an article (in Greek) about replacing meat with soya (substitute). The taste isn't exactly the same, but it works well concerning nutrition and health issues.

You can always keep on fasting from sin though, even if you eat meat. Wink

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Apotheosis

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 10:53:04 PM »

Ridd, what is your "condition" that prevents you from fasting? I have a lot of knowledge about nutrition and health. Fasting from animal products will only help a person physically. Animal products (meat, dairy) are not good for people with physical ailments. Fasting purifies the body, and helps people with physical ailments. Vegetables are builders of the body, and fruits are cleaners. There is no such thing as a biological ailment that prevents a person from abstaining from animal products. If you think there is, I would like to hear what it is.

As for me, something just goes wrong with my brain when I fast. I'm probably not making balanced meals. I don't know what it is. I've visited monasteries where I seemed to do fine during the fasts. The problem is when I am home alone and prepairing meals for myself.

I've made the decision to not keep the Dormition Fast. I can't keep this fast or I might end-up in the hospital.

I've done the whole soy thing. It doesn't work for blood type "O" people ( atleast not for me). I require meat or enormous amounts of non-meat foods to compensate for the loss of protein. We can probably get sufficient amounts of protein from fruits, seeds, nuts, grains and vegetables, but it seems to take enormous amounts.
Apotheosis

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 10:58:43 PM »

Ridd,

it would not hurt you to abstain from meat at least one day a week. Too much protein is not good for the body. Live foods (fruits, nuts, grains, seeds, vegtables) are purifiers and builders.

If you have a health professional who has told you othewise, he is either (1) lying or (2) completely ignorant.

Most doctors aren't even trained in nutrition.

However I can supply you with an extensive list of doctors, links and books who actually are trained in nutrition, and agree with what I have stated.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 11:30:53 PM »

Ridd,

it would not hurt you to abstain from meat at least one day a week. Too much protein is not good for the body. Live foods (fruits, nuts, grains, seeds, vegtables) are purifiers and builders.

If you have a health professional who has told you othewise, he is either (1) lying or (2) completely ignorant.

However I can supply you with an extensive list of doctors, links and books who actually are trained in nutrition, and agree with what I have stated.
Please be careful about posting medical advice that contradicts the advice given by one's own primary care physician.  Unless you have some kind of relationship with Riddikulus outside of this forum, there's no real way you can understand the specifics of her medical condition based solely on what she has chosen to reveal on this forum.  Therefore, any advice that you give her may actually cause her great harm if she chooses to implement it, and for such we the moderators and admin staff at OC.net can take no responsibility.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 12:14:25 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 11:48:28 PM »

Hi Apotheosis,

I'm not trying to be difficult, but it seemed as if you wanted some advice or sympathy for your experiences.  Yet, I notice that when others responded with advice and help, you seemed to go on the defensive (particularly with one poster).  Maybe you could clarify what you actually wanted by starting this thread since it now seems as if no one's advice or help is welcome?  Again, I don't mean to put you on the defensive or make you uncomfortable.

Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 03:38:01 AM »

Ummmmm, right...... I didn't start this thread (I knew I should have not got involved......Let that be a lesson to me!) I didn't ask for any advice, but thanks all the same. Smiley

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 03:46:15 AM »

Ridd,

Please be careful about posting medical advice that contradicts the advice given by one's own primary care physician.  Unless you have some kind of relationship with Riddikulus outside of this forum, there's no real way you can understand the specifics of her medical condition based solely on what she has chosen to reveal on this forum.  Therefore, any advice that you give her may actually cause her great harm if she chooses to implement it, and for such we the moderators and admin staff at OC.net can take no responsibility.

Thanks PtA. I don't know Apotheosis from Adam (literal or non-literal Wink), and I'm kind of disconcerted to see how this, his thread, has become about other people rather than himself. I would hate to think that he started this thread to be contentious, but I'm not sure what he wants from the forum members. Rest assured, I won't be taking any dietary/medical advice from him or anyone on this forum, or any other, for that matter. Wink

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 03:49:32 AM »

Hi Apotheosis,

I'm not trying to be difficult, but it seemed as if you wanted some advice or sympathy for your experiences. 

Gabriel,

Yes, that is how I read it and, therefore, I mentioned something about myself that I would not normally do - and the only reason in doing so was to encourage Apotheosis. Silly me! Grin

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 04:00:32 AM »

I can't observe the fast in a strict sense as I am currently pregnant and then in roughly 3-4 weeks I will be the sole source of nourishment for a little baby. The point of the fast isn't what you abstain from food wise. You can keep the fast in what you consume and yet completely break it by virtue of how you speak and think. Or you could abstain from everything you are supposed to by gorge on foods that are "OK" but are rich. Lobster- being shellfish is OK technically. But it is a very rich food that most people on eat on rare celebratory occasions. So you could eat "OK" foods and still be overindulging.  And I must say I find your comments to Riddikulus rude and judgemental given you are seeking "permission" not to observe the fast yourself!

1) We can't do that for you no matter how you ask us or the reasons you give us.
2) Go speak with your spiritual father about fasting and how you should go about it.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 04:03:30 AM »

And from personal experience- I would suggest that you look into a good protein supplement to drink. I am type O as well. But the whole blood type diet thing is a complete farse and has been entirely disproven many times over by now. My parents were on that bandwagon almost two decades ago LOL Dont' you know the newest dietary fad is coconut? LOL
Apotheosis

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 05:05:30 AM »

I'm just saying there is no such thing as a "condition" of the body that requires a person not to abstain from animal products. The reverse is usually the case, where a doctor advises their patient to abstain from animal products. A little fasting is good for all physical conditions. And you have to remember that doctors usually cater to the wishes of their patients, as do many spiritual fathers today (that's why there are no more saints) with a total disregard for their religious practices. And again, most doctors have no courses in nutrition.

It's different with the brain however since we know diet and nutrients affect brain chemicals such as seratonin.

Fasting once a week would be good for any "condition." If anyone tells you otherwise, they are either ignorant, lying, or being used by the devil. Everyone can do some fasting. Don't listen to the lies of the devil. The devil does not want people to make any efforts.

Take care.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:12:36 AM by Apotheosis » Logged
Apotheosis

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 05:11:16 AM »

And from personal experience- I would suggest that you look into a good protein supplement to drink. I am type O as well. But the whole blood type diet thing is a complete farse and has been entirely disproven many times over by now. My parents were on that bandwagon almost two decades ago LOL Dont' you know the newest dietary fad is coconut? LOL

That's your personal experience. Not mine. No supplements work. In the year 2000, I was such a mess with all this vegan nonsense, I called a nutritionist and explained how I was feeling in my life. I was on a permenant and abnormal vegan diet at the time that was not balanced or normal. After I described to her what my diet and symptoms consisted of (anxiety, depression and the inability to concentrate), She told me I was starving my brain. She told me to go out and eat some fish. I then started with meat again and immediatly recovered. I do best with beef. I also read a book at the same time called "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life." It's about the need for protein for normal mental health.

I saw a psychologist recently (I didn't mention this before), and he told me Orthodoxy is making my symptoms worse with all it's obsessive complusive rituals, regulations, and negative worldview. He told me this twice in the same session. I NEED MEAT. The Holy Fathers were wrong! I can't fast or I may end-up hospitalized (however as I said, we can do little fasting).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:20:50 AM by Apotheosis » Logged
Apotheosis

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 05:32:41 AM »

Please understand, I am not saying all people with blood type "O" have the same problems I have when we go without meat.  I am saying that my problems are probably related to the fact that my brain chemistry is already messed-up with pre-existing conditions of anxiety, stress, depresion and anger. But these symptoms get worse everytime we have these major fasts. That's all. The fasts do not help at all. They make things worse. And I feel further from God when we do these major fasts.

Everyone is different. And I gurantee that if you had my life conditions and the same brain chemistry, you would be complaing as well.

I believe "O" type blood is close to 40% of the population.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:34:08 AM by Apotheosis » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 06:05:58 AM »

I'm just saying there is no such thing as a "condition" of the body that requires a person not to abstain from animal products. The reverse is usually the case, where a doctor advises their patient to abstain from animal products. A little fasting is good for all physical conditions. And you have to remember that doctors usually cater to the wishes of their patients, as do many spiritual fathers today (that's why there are no more saints) with a total disregard for their religious practices. And again, most doctors have no courses in nutrition.

You are not making any sense. According to YOU you have a condition where you can't abstain from animal (specifically cow) products! Why couldn't someone else have a similar issue? And what make you think that her modified fast has anything to do with just animal products? There is also the fast from oils and the fast from all foods prior to partaking on of the Eucharist.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 06:48:55 AM »

Hello,

I have a problem. Whenever we have these big fasts like the one we are currently in (Apostles Fast), I begin to feel symptoms of anxiety and light-headedness. I have blood typ "O." From what I understand, around 50% of the polulation has this blood type. This type has been called the "cave man blood type," meaning, we require meat; and we seem to do best with beef. Only meat has the full chain of amino acids. I am having a hard time right now. Great Lent is horrible. I just checked my Church Calendar and noticed that after the Apostles Fast is over, we literally only have a few days to recover and then we start the Dormition Fast. Everytime I turn around we are starting some major fast again. I can't handle it. My brain is starving to death for protein. Apparently the Church Fathers were ignorant of the various blood types and different biological and psychological make-ups when they made all these fasts. My brain was so starving for protein, and my anxiety was so sever last Nativity Fast, that I had to do an emergency walk-in at my local mental health hospital. As soon as these fasts are over, I return to my normal state of mind again.

Dear Apotheosis,

My doctorate was in Medical Genetics, and my graduate school and postdoctoral work was in the field of immunogenetics, so I have read quite a lot of literature about blood types. I can seriously tell you that some popular beliefs about blood types being associated with a certain character, or a certain disease, are based on a very small and incomplete evidence. Usually, a study that involves a larger number of subjects and a better statistical processing of the data, dismisses previous observations about blood types showing these "associations."

On the other hand, what you describe sounds pretty serious. I think you need to take a thorough physical exam. Do you know your blood glucose level? If you are hypoglycemic, meaning that you routinely have less than 80 milligrams of glucose per 100 ml of your blood, then you most definitely should not fast the way people with normal glucose level do. Fasting is not supposed to ruin our health!

As far as the theology of fasting goes - what others said.

Best wishes to you,

George

Love never fails.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 10:58:53 AM »

It's different with the brain however since we know diet and nutrients affect brain chemicals such as seratonin.

Fasting once a week would be good for any "condition." If anyone tells you otherwise, they are either ignorant, lying, or being used by the devil. Everyone can do some fasting. Don't listen to the lies of the devil. The devil does not want people to make any efforts.

Take care.
And one should also be very careful about offering praxis advice that contradicts the advice given by one's own spiritual father.
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 11:01:40 AM »

I'm just saying there is no such thing as a "condition" of the body that requires a person not to abstain from animal products.

And yet YOU claim that YOU have a condition that prevents you from fasting from BEEF no less?! What are you talking about?

The reverse is usually the case, where a doctor advises their patient to abstain from animal products. A little fasting is good for all physical conditions.

You don't know many diabetics do you?!

And you have to remember that doctors usually cater to the wishes of their patients, as do many spiritual fathers today (that's why there are no more saints) with a total disregard for their religious practices. And again, most doctors have no courses in nutrition.

No more saints? Really? Did we just have a saint named John who lived in California as recently as the 50's and 60's?

You don't seem to have a very sound understanding of the human body. The brain is a part of the body, not some seperate entity but it is a part of the physical body just like your stomach, lungs, arms and legs, muscles etc etc etc... It is affected and not affected like any other organ.

Then why are YOU exempt from this? Every one else must fast, but not you? This is totally bizarre......

No one else has a legit "condition" to prevent them from fasting but you.

As the saying goes, if you're making yourself sick from fasting you are doing it wrong!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 04:19:49 PM »

Take care.
Are you so well trained and advanced in the practices of medicine and nutrition both physical and spiritual that you're qualified to pass such judgment against so many of our physicians and spiritual fathers?
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 08:52:49 PM »

Hello,

Are you able to go to a GNC store to buy the protein you need? There are alot of vitamens and mineral drinks as well. Or you could make/blend your own drink.

Jnorm888
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 08:55:12 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 09:21:29 PM »

Hello,

It's not primarily the Protein but the saturated fat that you need. Cave men hunted game for the animal fat and then made jerky with the meat for winter.

Try Coconuts, Coconut Milk and especially Coconut Oil ( fat)... You can cook with it or just take a spoonful of Coconut Oil and mix it into a glass of warm or hot water and toss it back. It's actually not bad tasting and it will satisfy your need for saturated fats. You should use it three times per day about a 1/2 hour before meals but anytime will still do the trick. You can also take it externally by rubbing it into your skin, you will absorb some of it that way.

You should also include cod-liver oil and high vitamin Butter Oil.(consult your Priest to see if he thinks fish oil is okay for the fast) Cod Liver Oil is very high in Vitemin A and D more so than regular fish oil and will make you feel much better. The Butter Oil works synergistically with the Cod Liver Oil and increases it's effectiveness .   There are several on-line stores where you can order all of this. Send me a private message and I will recommend an online store or two.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 09:23:27 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2009, 03:26:51 PM »

Apotheosis,

I have to say that I am confused.  On the one hand, you ask for advice about how to deal with fasting so that it doesn't interefere with your help.  Many people here have supplied you with some recommendations.  And, on the other hand, you then go so far as to say that the Holy Fathers are wrong that they don't know what they are doing as far as fasting and should not be believed.  The advice offered here on this board is "take it or leave it."  Have you actually asked your spritual father about what you should do?  I think you should refrain from posting until you have a discussion with him about it.

And this little tidbit is from the "take it or leave it" category:  Do what you can!  If you cannot deprive yourself of food, then all the more you should increase almsgiving and prayer!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
rhiamom

Faith: Unbaptized pagan!

rhiamom
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 06:49:18 AM »

I certainly have no advanced degrees, but I have the broad experience of being both a diabetic and a nurse. There are indeed medical conditions that can make fasting dangerous; insulin dependent diabetes is definitely one. So is a tendency to hypoglycemia, or a liver problem that prevents the storage of sufficient glycogen.

You get the steadiest blood sugar levels by eating protein and fat. The reason is that those take the longest to digest. A couple of tablespoons of cottage cheese every few hours is usually a good preventative for sudden drops in blood sugar, which cause the lightheadedness and anxiety. Cottage cheese (not the low-fat version!) has a nearly perfect blend of milk sugar, milk protein and fat to help prevent this type of occurrence. I do not know if an exception to allow this would be acceptable.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 10:12:30 AM »

I certainly have no advanced degrees, but I have the broad experience of being both a diabetic and a nurse. There are indeed medical conditions that can make fasting dangerous; insulin dependent diabetes is definitely one. So is a tendency to hypoglycemia, or a liver problem that prevents the storage of sufficient glycogen.

You get the steadiest blood sugar levels by eating protein and fat. The reason is that those take the longest to digest. A couple of tablespoons of cottage cheese every few hours is usually a good preventative for sudden drops in blood sugar, which cause the lightheadedness and anxiety. Cottage cheese (not the low-fat version!) has a nearly perfect blend of milk sugar, milk protein and fat to help prevent this type of occurrence. I do not know if an exception to allow this would be acceptable.

Agree 100%! What a wonderful professional summary and advice, thank you!

Love never fails.
sodr2

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

القديس الانبا رويس

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 11:20:10 PM »

Hello,

You know you can talk to your priest and get permission to be excused from certain foods. For eg. my uncle drinks milk during fasts.

Keep in mind the point of fasting is to abstain from your desires. In my opinion, a vegi-burger is not fasting. I see fasting as if you go to the pantry and fetch a snack to eat, but you then decide to refuse to eat it to practice self-control.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:20:51 PM by sodr2 » Logged

"Happiness depends on the relationship between man and God." Pope Shenouda III
Tags: Great Lent fasting asceticism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: