OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 03:34:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting marquee  (Read 641 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: June 26, 2009, 01:48:30 AM »

Going by the Evangelical Church located down the street from me, I saw that it had a new message on it's marquee.  This church frequently has inspirational messages there and such.  This one I found particularly interesting:  Seek God--He's Fascinating!

I don't think I've ever described God as fascinating.  I don't think there's anything wrong with it, just out of the ordinary.  Or it at least made me think that the church's pastor is Mr. Spock. Grin

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 01:50:12 AM by scamandrius » Logged

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 01:56:36 AM »

You know, I really enjoy a lot of these messages I read on their marquees.  Many of them are really though-provoking, while quite a few are really humorous.  There have been a lot over the years that I've really enjoyed, but one that stands out I saw just last month:
 "Coming Soon: Jesus and Fresh Strawberries!"  Cheesy  It was on a little country church and I guess some of the parishoners grow strawberries and sell them at church. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 10:48:47 AM »

"Coming Soon: Jesus and Fresh Strawberries!"  Cheesy  It was on a little country church and I guess some of the parishoners grow strawberries and sell them at church. 

LOL! 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
biosofia

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 04:38:31 AM »

I can't understand why you find this funny. Using the name of Jesus this way is humorous?

They make "Christians" look silly to non-Christians, and non-Christians don't care if they are Batists, Orthodox or Catholics. They associate the person and message of Jesus with those people.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 11:04:01 AM »

I can't understand why you find this funny. Using the name of Jesus this way is humorous?

I find this funny because it makes it sound like fresh strawberries are just as important as Jesus.  I'm sure the owners of the sign don't mean it that way and it's probably just a way to save space and costs on signs, but it's kinda funny.  Nothing to get upset about.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 12:11:39 PM »

They make "Christians" look silly to non-Christians, and non-Christians don't care if they are Batists, Orthodox or Catholics. They associate the person and message of Jesus with those people.

Hi Sofia,

I don't know where you're from, but EofK and I both are from a part of the US where religion is taken very seriously, reaching deep into our culture.  I haven't actually looked at the stats, but I wouldn't be surprised to find over 300 churches within 10 -15 mile radius.  Many of these churches are very small, and in fact, the church where I saw this particular marquee probably only holds 50 people and is located in a very rural (and thus poor) area.  This may explain why they are advertising produce- to help meet their bills.  But even though the people around here are very religious, they also maintain a sense of humor and there's no facet of life that we don't apply humor towards.  And you can rest assured that we mean no disrespect towards our Saviour.  I guess you just have to be from around here to understand it.  Many apologies if you were offended.  Smiley 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: