OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 12:13:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Jackson has died  (Read 5370 times) Average Rating: 0
Douglas
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2009, 10:04:20 AM »

Some good words, PtA.

As my wife and I sat talking about this over breakfast this morning, one thing that came to mind is how quickly and easily the general public can be aroused to almost worship status and the role the media can play. It brings to mind the meteoric rise the Antichrist will have at the end of time... someone who will appear and promise peace... unity for the whole world... and most will follow blindly like sheep. I know it's just an aside but still, these past few days of over-the-top near worship of someone who a day before his death was almost a forgotten man has been a reminder of our gullibility.

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2009, 02:13:22 PM »

Some good words, PtA.

As my wife and I sat talking about this over breakfast this morning, one thing that came to mind is how quickly and easily the general public can be aroused to almost worship status and the role the media can play. It brings to mind the meteoric rise the Antichrist will have at the end of time... someone who will appear and promise peace... unity for the whole world... and most will follow blindly like sheep. I know it's just an aside but still, these past few days of over-the-top near worship of someone who a day before his death was almost a forgotten man has been a reminder of our gullibility.
Yup.  The ridiculous veneration of the man Michael Jackson did arouse in my mind the thought that he might arise out of his casket and reveal himself to be the antichrist in fulfillment of an apparent prophecy in the Apocalypse of John that the antichrist would do just this in mockery of Christ's resurrection.  Again, this is not to be understood as any kind of judgment against Jackson's person; I'm just talking about the excessive praise some lavished upon the man during yesterday's memorial.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2009, 02:37:09 PM »

I was sort of surprised to note that the casket was closed-was expecting it to be open, for some reason.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2009, 02:45:16 PM »

I doubt Michael Jackson was actually in the casket.

I also doubt the paternity of Michael Jackson's children.  They may be the bigger victims than Michael.

I wouldn't be surprised if he "came back from the dead" just like in his videos.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2009, 03:33:15 PM »

I was sort of surprised to note that the casket was closed-was expecting it to be open, for some reason.

He died twelve days prior to the funeral.  An open casket at that point might have been difficult.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:34:20 PM by Orual » Logged

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2009, 04:43:53 PM »

I doubt Michael Jackson was actually in the casket.

I also doubt the paternity of Michael Jackson's children.  They may be the bigger victims than Michael.

I wouldn't be surprised if he "came back from the dead" just like in his videos.
Is that your cynicism I see shining through?
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »

Are you the only one on this forum who's allowed to rant and vent?   Huh
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2009, 06:01:16 PM »

Are you the only one on this forum who's allowed to rant and vent?   Huh
But you're not ranting nor venting.  You're just engaging in idle speculation.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2009, 06:08:04 PM »

What idle speculation?

Jackson's dermatologist, when asked about the paternity of the children, invoked HIPAA.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2009, 06:21:48 PM »

What idle speculation?

Jackson's dermatologist, when asked about the paternity of the children, invoked HIPAA.
So what?  He's protecting his patients' privacy against media hounds.  Fulfilling a legal obligation to his patients is not necessarily an indicator that he's trying to hide the truth about himself.

My question to you is why you even think it necessary to bring up these suspicions you can't prove--you're just digging up bones.  I suppose that nothing's stopping you if you really want to do this, but you had better be prepared to face any criticism of your opinions that will undoubtedly arise when you do.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 06:26:27 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2009, 07:15:08 PM »

My question to you is why you even think it necessary to bring up these suspicions you can't prove--you're just digging up bones.  I suppose that nothing's stopping you if you really want to do this, but you had better be prepared to face any criticism of your opinions that will undoubtedly arise when you do.

Lord have Mercy.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2009, 07:27:04 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
Huh  I'm not following you here.  What are you trying to say with this reply?
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2009, 08:52:07 PM »

And I can almost guarantee that as quickly as all this ridiculous adulation exploded, it will blow away in a few months' time.
Maybe this timing is also the best thing for Michael Jackson's salvation.

Let us all pray that this is so.

Thanks for your posts PtA; my condolances regarding the passing of your father. May his memory be eternal.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2009, 11:12:43 PM »

Lord have Mercy.

The response is appropriate for the thread and what we said to each other.  Let it go....
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2009, 01:01:08 AM »

Lord have Mercy.

The response is appropriate for the thread and what we said to each other.  Let it go....
Now that you have me totally confused, could you at least explain what you mean to say by extracting my "digging up bones" quote and replying to it with nothing more than a non sequitur "Lord have mercy."?  Really, the least you can do is explain the connection to me.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 01:06:18 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2009, 04:24:08 AM »

PtA, give it a rest. Must every comment pass a forensic examination?  police
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 04:25:00 AM by LBK » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2009, 11:42:42 AM »

Lord have Mercy.

Now that you have me totally confused, could you at least explain what you mean to say by extracting my "digging up bones" quote and replying to it with nothing more than a non sequitur "Lord have mercy."?  Really, the least you can do is explain the connection to me.

If you are confused, that is a good sign to drop this discussion.  Yes I quoted your content and I was not referencing to your "digging up bones" quote nor anything else you said.

Just as others were entitled to draw analogies between the Memorial Service with the Antichrist, I felt that making some statements, albeit speculative and partially supported by published reports, were relevant and appropriate.

Since you chose to challenge me rather than the others, I felt that asking for the Lord's Mercy would protect me from saying something far more inappropriate as a response to your persistent comments about my posting style.   angel
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2009, 11:43:47 AM »

Thanks.   Smiley
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »

Must I seek your permission to post something? Wink
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2009, 05:45:11 PM »

Must I seek your permission to post something? Wink

No, not at all. However, have you not heard of the phrase discretion is the better part of valor? Sometimes it's better to let things slide, and this is all I and SolEX01 have suggested.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2009, 07:32:25 PM »

PtA, give it a rest.

THANK YOU!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Σoφíα

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2009, 10:55:16 AM »

Memory Eternal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvYygjcMDdQ

Tags: michael jackson 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: