OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:21:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Jackson has died  (Read 5022 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: June 25, 2009, 06:07:15 PM »

There are now several unconfirmed reports that Michael Jackson has died following a cardiac arrest.

TMZ.com is reporting the 50-year-old singer was not breathing when a 911 call was made at about 12:20 pm PT and despite efforts to revive him, he never recovered.

At this point a spokesperson for UCLA Medical Center has confirmed that Michael Jackson has been hospitalized, but has declined to comment on the specifics of Jackson's medical condition, but did say that the singer had been transported to the Medical Center following a 911 call.

Jackson had been living in West Hollywood as he continued to rehearse for a series of sold-out concerts that will take place next year. The dates for those shows had been pushed back after reports that Jackson might be suffering some sort of medical issue.

Representatives from Jackson had denied those rumors, claiming the delay was due to the singer's desire to give his fans the "perfect concert experience."

Michael is survived by three children: Michael Joseph Jackson, Jr., Paris Michael Katherine Jackson and Prince "Blanket" Michael Jackson II.

More updates on the way....

source

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 06:17:42 PM »

I am really shocked and saddened by this.

Obviously Mr. Jackson had a lot of problems, and was a controversial figure during his life - perhaps deservedly so.

Still, he was my age, and I fondly remember seeing "The Jackson Five" in person when I was in high school, at the Missouri State Fair in Sedalia, Missouri.  No denying he was an amazingly talented performer.

God rest his soul.  And blessings also to Farrah Fawcett.  (Boy - it's been a rough day for celebrities!)

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 06:24:14 PM »

Oh, my. That was the last thing I expected to hear.
For some reason, this saddened me as well.

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 06:28:05 PM »

Don't jump to any conclusions, yet, especially from Internet sources....
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 06:31:07 PM »

Don't jump to any conclusions, yet, especially from Internet sources....

It's being reported by all the major media sources now.  Cry

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 06:31:43 PM »

CNN says he's alive and in a coma - could the title of this thread be altered?  It gave me a shock.

update - Okay, CNN now reports that he has died.  Lord, have mercy on him.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 06:43:00 PM by Orual » Logged

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 06:40:21 PM »

OK....

May the Lord have mercy on the soul of Michael Jackson.

May the Lord grant eternal rest to Michael Jackson and comfort and strengthen his family during this upcoming difficult period.

Amen!
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 06:42:15 PM »

Memory Eternal!

If he is still alive, just in coma - Lord, have mercy on Your servant Michael.

Love never fails.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 06:49:45 PM »

Memory Eternal!

What a huge loss to the world!  I wasn't a huge fan, but there were many songs I still love.  What always impressed me (along with his musical talent) was his dancing here and here.  That man could dance!!!

Really sad news....

Regarding his dancing, does anyone else notice he crosses himself a lot?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 07:15:55 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 06:53:48 PM »

I wonder what his followers will say now.
http://celebrities.ninemsn.com.au/?blogentryid=360412&showcomments=true

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 06:54:07 PM »

Cry Memory Eternal!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 06:55:18 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 06:55:17 PM »

It is very sad that both Michael Jackson and Farah Fawcett have both passed away today. Memory Eternal to both.

When this happens it always seems to happen in threes...

Joseph
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 06:58:52 PM »

It is very sad that both Michael Jackson and Farah Fawcett have both passed away today. Memory Eternal to both.

Yes, my sister and I always say that celebrities die in threes, to which my brother-in-law always responds, quite sensibly, "No - they die one at a time, just like the rest of us."

Memory eternal to them, and to those unknown to us who died today as well.

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 07:08:25 PM »

I forgot about Ed McMahon.

Joseph
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 07:20:45 PM »

LOL ... someone at my office just pointed that out to me as well.

Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 07:58:57 PM »

Don't forget Dr. Jerri Nielsen FitzGerald, who lost her brave battle with cancer yesterday as well.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

f.k.a. Matron.a
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 08:08:03 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 08:08:21 PM »

Lord, have mercy.  Memory eternal.

He's not been looking well for some time, but I was pretty surprised to hear the news too.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 08:12:21 PM »

Don't forget Dr. Jerri Nielsen FitzGerald, who lost her brave battle with cancer yesterday as well.

Lord have Mercy.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 08:16:06 PM »

Memory Eternal For Both....Amen
Blessed Rest Grant O Lord,,,Amen
Lord Have Mercy ! On Both....Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ristos87

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 08:53:01 PM »

I am surprised that Fawcett, McMahon, and now Jackson has died. I remember a long time ago someone I knew off a message board passed away. In dedication, the site posted this poem:

Do not stand by my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints upon the snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain and
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am that swift uplifting rush,
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand by my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 11:10:53 PM »

I enjoyed the music.  Didn't enjoy the pedophilia.  I pray the Lord have mercy on him, and on us all.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 11:15:41 PM »

I enjoyed the music.  Didn't enjoy the pedophilia.  I pray the Lord have mercy on him, and on us all.

To be fair, Michael was never convicted of pedophilia. He was a strange, sad, twisted man, a haunted soul... but there is nothing that I know that could substantiate the allegations of his trespasses against children.

Whether he was a pedophile or not, I am not any better than him - I am much worse.

Lord, have mercy on his poor, wretched, suffering soul. Please do... 

Love never fails.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 11:24:28 PM »

Memory Eternal.  Lord Have Mercy.  May his soul dwell with the blessed.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 12:07:32 AM »

May the Lord have mercy on his soul, forgive him his sins, and lead him to life eternal.

Amen

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 01:59:59 AM »

Yup.  Since Ed McMahon can be counted the first, I think the trio is complete--knock on wood.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 03:47:53 AM »

Yup.  Michael Jackson was truly one of a kind with his ability to sing and dance.  Number one selling pop album of all time:  Thriller (1982).
Dan-Romania
Moderated
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 05:50:08 AM »

A great artist , i liked many of his songs . Rest in peace Michael!

This user no longer posts here.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2009, 01:43:27 AM »

Has anyone really pondered on the eerie connection between Michael Jackson and his one-time father-in-law, Elvis Presley?
Phoenix73

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2009, 05:36:18 AM »

I don't know why the death of Michael Jackson has affected me so much.  I was never a fan, but liked his music, and pretty much believed all the wacko stuff the media said,  because I never cared  that much about him (a living feeling human being)  in order to be objective. 

Now that he has passed away I appreciate his talent, and in a way feel guilty because I believed  the rubbish written about him, I pray that if he was innocent, that the truth comes out, God only know what he is guilty of but he did so much for charity and would have probably done so much more if not for the scandals.

May he Rest in peace and God bless his soul.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 09:57:51 AM »

Has anyone really pondered on the eerie connection between Michael Jackson and his one-time father-in-law, Elvis Presley?

According to Lisa Marie Presley, Jackson himself did: Years ago Michael and I were having a deep conversation about life in general. I can't recall the exact subject matter but he may have been questioning me about the circumstances of my Fathers Death. At some point he paused, he stared at me very intensely and he stated with an almost calm certainty, "I am afraid that I am going to end up like him, the way he did." I promptly tried to deter him from the idea, at which point he just shrugged his shoulders and nodded almost matter of fact as if to let me know, he knew what he knew and that was kind of that. Source

Fixed blog link  -PtA
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 02:05:06 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 10:28:10 AM »

I'm with you, Phoenix. I never listened to MJ's music or thought about him very much. I thought him degenerate, freakish. But for some reason, when I learned of his passing, I fell very quiet and sad. Oddly, it affected me so much that I began to almost feverishly research his life. Suddenly a real, live, hurting, tortured human being began to take shape before my very eyes. I learned some of the tragic details of his childhood. I read more. Then I realized how in many ways his story was mine. Don't know if this makes any sense. I remain sad about our loss. I pray God will have mercy on his soul and that he will finally, finally be in a place of bliss and happiness and perfect joy and contentment.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:29:48 AM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
cholmes

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2009, 12:34:57 PM »

I'm with you, Phoenix. I never listened to MJ's music or thought about him very much. I thought him degenerate, freakish. But for some reason, when I learned of his passing, I fell very quiet and sad. Oddly, it affected me so much that I began to almost feverishly research his life. Suddenly a real, live, hurting, tortured human being began to take shape before my very eyes. I learned some of the tragic details of his childhood. I read more. Then I realized how in many ways his story was mine. Don't know if this makes any sense. I remain sad about our loss. I pray God will have mercy on his soul and that he will finally, finally be in a place of bliss and happiness and perfect joy and contentment.

I feel the same way.  I think in time there will be a public redemption for Michael in the eyes of many.  He truly was a victim in many ways - of his domineering and abusive father, of fame, of sycophantic hangers-on, and of himself.  As far as the allegations of pedophilia...while I think he may have been in weird and possibly twisted scenarios I just can't conjure an image of him as a predator.  I really just think he was stunted in so many ways that he did some very stupid things and put himself in really bad situations.

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2009, 03:59:02 PM »

Did anyone else see the tribute to MJ at the Staples Centre?  Thoughts?

Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2009, 04:24:09 PM »

I watched the whole thing, and I thought it was an excellent tribute.  It was both about MJ as the performer everybody loved, but also MJ as a brother, son, and father, and I'm glad MJ's family and friends are able to say goodbye in peace.

Brooke Shields made me cry (especially when she quoted The Little Prince).  But seeing Paris Jackson work up the nerve to speak and tell everyone that she loved her daddy, I started bawling.  What a sweet, beautiful girl.  I hope God gives comfort to her and her brothers, and all the rest of the Jackson family, over the coming days and months.  I hope the family will gather around these children, raise them well, and keep the rest of their childhood peaceful and untroubled.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 04:25:09 PM by Orual » Logged

f.k.a. Matron.a
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »

Well... my opinion is probably not going to be very popular, but in truth I thought the tribute was over the top. The man was a consummate entertainer in terms of his dancing and singing. Beyond that? I would not have allowed my children to stay overnight in his house. He had his inner demons and all the media hype and political correct baloney in the world cannot disguise that. The entertainment world, the media, those with their own agendas have turned him into something he wasn't. The real heroes are those dying fighting fires and crime... fighting terrorists to keep us safe... caring for the homeless and the unloved (i.e. folks like Mother Theresa)... the monks who pray unceasingly for this sin-sick world in which we live, who have given up everything to serve God, who live in extreme poverty by the world's estimation but have, in truth, gained everything. I was not impressed in the least by the half-hour that I watched it. In fact, for a time I thought they were going to suggest making him a saint. Perhaps I'm too cynical but I'm just not buying all the public adulation. And we all know that the public is easily duped, running after whatever the entertainment industry cranks out.

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2009, 04:37:18 PM »

I was working most of the day, so I only saw about 5 minutes of Brooke Shields' speech; it was wonderful.

Love never fails.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2009, 04:48:32 PM »

A few thoughts from one who did:

• Some of the clichés about him now being with the angels and living forever were a bit over the top in their adulation of the man.  I thought especially overblown and fawning the comment that MJ is now among those standing closest to God's throne singing.  Michael Jackson may be experiencing the foretaste of the bliss of God's kingdom to come--I certainly pray that he is after the trials and tribulations through which he has lived, some brought about by his own eccentricities and bad decisions.  But he is clearly not a saint as we understand saintliness and should not be glorified as such.  Michael Jackson was a troubled man, and some of the ways that he expressed his inner demons should indeed have caused us to fear for the man and for those around him, even if he was totally innocent of the charges against him.
  • That said, I think the memorial was a great tribute to his life and career.  I thought especially touching Brooke Shields's reminiscences of the human side of the great performer:  a great friend who shared her experience of being forced to grow up far too quickly and with whom she could engage in the childlike silliness that they rarely experienced as children.  I also liked Magic Johnson's memory of the time Jackson ordered Kentucky Fried Chicken for dinner.
  • I loved brother Jermaine's rendition of Michael's favorite song, Charlie Chaplin's Smile.  (Follow THIS LINK to a video of Charlie Chaplin snippets set to Michael's rendition of the great song.)
  • Having lost my father at about the same age Michael's daughter Paris is today, I cannot but praise the young girl for the courage she showed in speaking briefly about her daddy right at the end.  Regardless of what kind of person Michael Jackson was--my dad was not exactly the epitome of virtue, either, but nothing can change the fact that he was and still is my father--his children know him as little more than Daddy and miss their father very much.  My heart truly goes out to Prince Michael, Paris, and Blanket as they grieve the death of their father, even as my mind returns to memories of my father, the anniversary of whose death is this Thursday, July 9.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 04:52:22 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2009, 04:56:09 PM »

A very balanced and objective post, PtA! My sincere condolences to you as well, as you remember your own father!!

I also appreciated Brooke Shield's and Paris' speeches. What lovely children Michael has!

Rest in peace, Michael!

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2009, 05:59:24 PM »

Good post PtA.  Smiley  My sincere condolences about your father.  This must be difficult for you, man.

I watched the tribute and agree with PtA.  Sometimes over-the-top and other times very moving.  I guess if we want to take anything away from it, it might be this;

No matter how rich and powerful we may be or become, no matter how well loved we are, we will all one day pass away.  Life is difficult and it seems that around almost every turn, there is another obstacle for us.  If we try, though, we can work together and help each other through the trials and tribulations.  If you're so inclined, let us take this tribute as a reminder that we all need each other, and that, as far as possible, let us treat one another as we wish to be treated; let us love one another- regardless of our individual backgrounds.  To those who love us, it is easy.  But for those who hate us, for those who mock us, for those who hold us in contempt, for those who's lives are so bizarre that we shake our heads in wonder, indeed, for the whole world- let us pray unto the Lord for theirs our our salvation. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2009, 06:27:35 PM »

A few thoughts from one who did:

• Some of the clichés about him now being with the angels and living forever were a bit over the top in their adulation of the man.  I thought especially overblown and fawning the comment that MJ is now among those standing closest to God's throne singing.  Michael Jackson may be experiencing the foretaste of the bliss of God's kingdom to come--I certainly pray that he is after the trials and tribulations through which he has lived, some brought about by his own eccentricities and bad decisions.  But he is clearly not a saint as we understand saintliness and should not be glorified as such.  Michael Jackson was a troubled man, and some of the ways that he expressed his inner demons should indeed have caused us to fear for the man and for those around him, even if he was totally innocent of the charges against him.

My condolences for your father.  I can't imagine what it must have been like to lose your father at that age, but I also felt Paris's tribute was the most touching moment, along with Brooke Shields's speech.  This raw emotion and genuine love helped mitigate the more "over-the-top" moments for me.  I have had varying opinions about members of the Jackson family over the years, but seeing the way they gathered around on stage, comforting each other, left no doubt in my mind that this is a loving, and very human, family.

With regard to the "saint"-like aspects attributed to Michael Jackson, I think it's important to remember that the popular conception of heaven is something like:   good people always go there right away, that they get halos and angel wings, and they get to sit at God's feet and sing praises for all eternity.  It's not so much about hope of salvation than taking it as an automatic assurance for well-liked people.  I've seen several comments referring to today's service as "Michael's homegoing".  Obviously, the popular conception of angel wings and halos diverges a bit from the Orthodox perspective, but I think what people meant when they said things like that is that they admire and think the best of Michael Jackson, and believe he is with God and at peace now.  Remember that the Lord will ask Michael on Judgment Day whether he fed and clothed the poor and looked after the oppressed.  I think that through his philanthropy and caring spirit, Michael Jackson did indeed do those things, and I pray that the Lord will grant him mercy and repose with the saints.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 06:36:51 PM by Orual » Logged

f.k.a. Matron.a
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2009, 07:03:38 PM »

Put not your trust in princes and sons of men for in whom there is no salvation... for when he breath departs he returns to his earth and on that very day his plans perish....
We all know the psalm... it is important to remember that when thinking about anyone, and in this case Michael Jackson

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2009, 12:29:45 AM »

Something else that really bugged me during this morning's memorial:  All the talk about how Michael Jackson united the world with his music.  Sure, his music and record-setting support of philanthropic causes may have broken down racial barriers and called attention to the plights of others in the world, but I can hardly see his music as being a sure foundation for any kind of world unity.  He was an entertainer, for crying out loud!  Quite possibly the best entertainer ever, as Motown boss Berry Gordy called him, but still just an entertainer.  To think that an entertainer can truly unite the world reeks of the most dangerous kind of humanism and celebrity worship, IMO.  I fear any kind of world unity not based on the foundation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

However, this is in no way a commentary on the man Michael Jackson himself, nor on his music.  This rant I posted above is really a scathing commentary on those who would make Michael Jackson out to be some kind of savior, such fawning idolatry as I hope even Michael Jackson himself would have the humility to run away from.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:34:27 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2009, 12:54:26 AM »

Indeed. And it's rather interesting that for several years (really, since the scandals) MJ virtually disappeared from the public's imagination. Now with his death there is weeping in the streets, a suggestion that he's closest to God the Father (obviously needed more in heaven than here), and all the other ridiculous superlatives that were tossed about this morning. In my opinion it demonstrates how sentimentality can rule the day... how the entertainment industry (and it IS an industry) and the media can manipulate the public. In his prime he was a great entertainer (the greatest? No way! Not in my books anyway). He was also a man who carried within some pretty significant demons. And I can almost guarantee that as quickly as all this ridiculous adulation exploded, it will blow away in a few months' time.

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2009, 01:18:43 AM »

And I can almost guarantee that as quickly as all this ridiculous adulation exploded, it will blow away in a few months' time.
I have no doubt that it will.  In the meantime, I do see it as healthy that those who drew inspiration from his music should grieve, as long as they can separate their grief from all the ridiculous exaggeration of his impact on humanity and merely recognize him for the gifted and dedicated artist and the very troubled and troubling man that he was.  Over time our grief should fade into distant memory, and life should return to normal, and the event that is Michael Jackson's death should become yet another page in our history books.

In the end, I think it may actually be best that MJ died while still broken by scandal and NOT after the return to the "top" that his future "This Is It!" tour promised.  This way, the world will have yet another reminder of just how destructive worldwide fame is.  Who knows?  Maybe this timing is also the best thing for Michael Jackson's salvation.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 01:21:54 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags: michael jackson 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: