OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 07:27:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Christians be Vegetarians?  (Read 12400 times) Average Rating: 0
Tobit

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2009, 08:12:40 PM »

I bet they take Raw Goats Milk.

National Geographic is currently shooting a documentary on a Greek Island where they live much longer than average and are healthy and vigorous well into their 90's.
They eat a similar diet, plant based, some fish but lots and lots of Raw Goats Milk. www.bluezones.com

Lots and lots of raw goats milk suggest to me the diet is milk based, not plant based  Grin
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »

O.K. so you avoid meat..how do you get protein? From nuts?

The Hebrews always consumed the Peace offering, and it wasn't steamed broccoli.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Tobit

« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2009, 08:19:50 PM »

Tobit,

In other words there are a number of necessary nutritional items needed in our diets that a vegan can't get without adding some kind of animal product (or supplementation) to his diet.

I think I'm going to need you to prove this, since I'm very well aware of people who have eaten essentially vegan diets (what I mean by this: consumption of fish or meat or milk is very rare, less frequent than even once per month) for generations who have no such deficiencies, and instead have lived long lives.

I would be happy to, but before I do what group(s) of people do you know that have been "essentially" vegans for generations?
Tobit

« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2009, 08:48:19 PM »

I also want to comment on the issue of Low Carbs. Sally Fallon ( for the rest of the folks here who don't know) is the President and voice of the Weston Price Foundation ( Dr. Price has been with the Lord for many years now). In her book "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" she recommends about 70 carbs per day . That is above the level Dr. Atkens would recommend for weight loss. It keeps you above the point where you will developed Ketosis but it is still by all measures a Low Carb way of eating.

Yes it is and while a choice that certainly fits within the Weston Price paradigm, it is certainly not the Weston Price paradigm, and to the extent that low carb eating is presented as such it is a denial of one of the very basic principles that Weston Price taught over and over - there is no one food or macro-nutrient ratio that is the ultimate for health. The tribes he studied clearly demonstrated the truth of his observations.

I understand you comment that the work of Dr. Price himself can lead to all kinds of conclusions,

No, I never said that the work of Dr. Price can lead to all kinds of conclusions. It can't. I said that embracing the low carb lifestyle (or declaring that raw milk is necessary for optimal health) as the approach to health is not indicative of the breadth of the work of Dr. Price. In fact, it is a denial of it since one of his basic principles as I noted above is completely at odds with such an approach.

but today the leaders of the Weston Price Foundation are squarely on the side of going low carb. That is where I got the idea.

And they are wrong. Even some of the material on their website is opposed to such an approach. They have to acknowledge that it is certainly possible to eat a high carb diet and be healthy, since you can't draw any other conclusion from the work of Dr. Price. But then they try to qualify such an approach by saying most people today wouldn't be comfortable eating the protein sources these groups ate (like insects). Huh? Why would "moderns" have to eat the same protein sources to achieve the same effect? It is a very dubious argument and easily dispelled by observing modern healthy high carb groups who have different protein sources than some of the tribes that Price studied.

Not to mention that one of the poster child groups often used for illustrating the superiority of an animal food diet, the Masai, while not eating any vegetation that we are aware of, certainly did not consume a low carb diet by any stretch of the imagination.

More important is the central theme of eating foods that are highly processed and include saturated fats and raw milk, and depending on pasture fed animals free of Hormonal manilpulations..etc.

If you drop raw milk out of the equation, I agree 100%. Raw milk, while a potentially excellent food, is not necessary for good health. Most of the groups Price observed did not consume raw dairy. I consume it all the time and if available it is certainly a powerful option, but one can do quite well without it.

We should study the diets of more primitive societies and begin to pattern our foods along those lines. There are more commonalities among these Traditional Diets than differences it seems to me.

If we did most of us would not be consuming raw dairy.  Grin

Dr. Price taught that it is not the slavish obedience to a particular diet of one of the groups that is important, but rather making sure we get all the bodybuilding nutrients that are represented in the diet of a particular group. And there are many ways to do that, as noted by the many different diets he did observe among the healthy tribes he studied.

The commonality is the nutrients, not any one particular food.

I know that I have restored my good health after starting to eat this way.

And eating the "Weston Price way" does not necessarily mean eating low carb or consuming raw dairy.
Tobit

« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2009, 08:51:27 PM »

Tobit is correct, I miss spoke about Clarified Butter or Duckfat...It is the Proteins that are clarified out of the fat. I was tire when I wrote it. [officially retracted] Althoug I'm still curious if it would be ok to eat if it is clarified? - Not to say I would, since I try to abstain from  Sorry about to talk about my own personal fasting.

Protein or no, its an animal fat, and a very tasty one at that.  laugh
Tobit

« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2009, 08:52:41 PM »

Relax Username, I was being facetious. You know me Kiss

Well I for one got a good chuckle out of it.
Tobit

« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2009, 08:56:08 PM »

O.K. so you avoid meat..how do you get protein? From nuts?

The Hebrews always consumed the Peace offering, and it wasn't steamed broccoli.

I'm not sure who you were addressing this to, but dairy, fish, eggs, and coconut products can provide plenty of protein.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2009, 09:14:20 PM »

Also, a combination of some legumes and whole grain rice provides sources...even mushrooms and hempseeds have most of the amino acids.
However, unless one is careful with eating the correct amount of nutrition daily, being a vegan can be detrimental to your health...especially in a nice restaurant (chef's carry knives and know how to carve up a vegan in a matter of a few minutes) Skinny Vegan Bisque with cucumber creme fraiche, anyone?

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2009, 05:55:56 AM »

Recalling that it is what comes out of a person's mouth, not what goes in, that matters, eat whatever helps you be more Christ-like...and quit worrying over the small stuff.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Σoφíα

« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2009, 12:27:31 PM »

I don't know if it was asked yet or not...but I've always wondered how vegans and vegetarians fast in the Orthodox Church.  Anybody know? 
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2009, 02:46:32 PM »

Recalling that it is what comes out of a person's mouth, not what goes in, that matters, eat whatever helps you be more Christ-like...and quit worrying over the small stuff.

I agree.  I also have issues with the people who have to make a public spectacle of themselves and their eating preferences.  Like at combined family dinners the vegetarians making a big deal out of it and then talking about what restaurant, etc.. has real vegetarian stuff and doesn't sneak any fish based sauce or whatnot into the food.  Seriously, the only reason they can be vegetarian or vegan or preach how others should eat is because they live in the USA.  They take into no consideration that many people have to eat what they can get on a daily basis in the world and don't enjoy the lofty 500,000 ftsq. supermarkets.  Seriously, I don't care if someone is vegan or vegetarian but my philosophy is the same one that pertains to fasting; keep it to yourself. 

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »

And remember, you are what you eat! hehe I remember people saying that in the 70's.

I do think this should be a private matter. But it is interesting to know why some people prefer to abstain from meat.

It got me thinking..and thats not easy to do! Undecided

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »

I don't know if it was asked yet or not...but I've always wondered how vegans and vegetarians fast in the Orthodox Church.  Anybody know? 
Usually they work out personal fasting rules in cooperation with and in submission to the guidance of their spiritual fathers.
Σoφíα

« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2009, 05:15:04 PM »

Thank you for your response Peter.  I thought that was the procedure, though I'm still curious how they fast...examples and such.  Very curious.  Smiley   Thanks again!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #149 on: June 28, 2009, 08:27:22 PM »

Usually they work out personal fasting rules in cooperation with and in submission to the guidance of their spiritual fathers.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Obviously vegans do not eat any animal products anyway, so fasting from meat is moot. But fasting is far more extensive than merely abstaining from meat. So vegans abstain from alcohol, coffee perhaps, oils (including vegetable oils I would guess), etc. But even more importantly, all of us should strive to abstain from any fleshly passions and desires that may be controlling us.

I am a vegetarian, not a vegan; but abstaining from fish, alcohol, and dairy products is not difficult for me. What I struggle with is being faithful in my prayer life, being faithful in reading the Scriptures, and abstaining from impure and ungodly thoughts and attitudes.

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have mercy on me a sinner!"

Selam   
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 08:28:39 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2009, 12:28:56 AM »

God wants us to eat pork!  Pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork and more pork.

And the occasional root vegetable.....and dont forget to add pork.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2009, 01:01:52 AM »

God wants us to eat pork!  Pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork pork and more pork.

I like the way this man thinks...IanL. must be a chef.

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2009, 03:07:26 AM »

How about humans? Is cannibalism explicitly forbidden in the Bible? I know murder is forbidden, but what about eating the flesh of those who are "justifiably" killed in war? Why let all that good meat go to waste? Might as well eat it huh? I mean, since "all things are clean."  Wink

Selam

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2009, 09:38:18 AM »

"mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..  pork"

Homer Simpson

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2009, 09:40:12 AM »

How about humans? Is cannibalism explicitly forbidden in the Bible? I know murder is forbidden, but what about eating the flesh of those who are "justifiably" killed in war? Why let all that good meat go to waste? Might as well eat it huh? I mean, since "all things are clean."  Wink

Selam

" mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... Humans "

Homer Simpson

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2009, 09:46:49 AM »

[joke]
Obviously they do the reverse of us Meatatarians, they are forced to eat meaty goodness for the entire fast.
[/joke]

-nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Σoφíα

« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2009, 10:00:42 AM »

[joke]
Obviously they do the reverse of us Meatatarians, they are forced to eat meaty goodness for the entire fast.
[/joke]

-nick

heh cute Tongue Tongue
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2009, 11:31:28 AM »

I agree.

But is the very real - and documented - suffering of animals in the infamous "factory farm" systems to be dismissed as "small stuff"? 

Because that's what turned me into a vegan.  And no, I certainly don't mean to sit in judgment of anyone who continues to eat meat.

However, I would sit in judgment of anyone who took the time to investigate the situation for themselves, found that, yes indeed, there is a lot of unnecessary suffering going on - both of the animals and the humans that slaughter them - and said, "Aw, that's too bad, but I don't really care, 'cause I like meat."

In a similar discussion on another religious forum, I was horrified to see someone - ostensibly a follower of Christ - actually write:  "Tortured animals taste better!"  Ugh.   Cry

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Σoφíα

« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2009, 03:31:03 PM »

I do agree with Theisgal.  Perhaps there should be slaughter houses or whatnot that ensure minimal pain to the animals (without anesthetics though!)  However, humans treat eachother so horribly (wars, violations, murders, etc.) that perhaps we (the Homo sapian sapians) should work on treating our fellow humans better and then we may extend that action to the animals we use for foodstuff.  Just an idea, no biggie.  Peace! 
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2009, 04:30:21 PM »

I agree.

But is the very real - and documented - suffering of animals in the infamous "factory farm" systems to be dismissed as "small stuff"? 

Because that's what turned me into a vegan.  And no, I certainly don't mean to sit in judgment of anyone who continues to eat meat.

However, I would sit in judgment of anyone who took the time to investigate the situation for themselves, found that, yes indeed, there is a lot of unnecessary suffering going on - both of the animals and the humans that slaughter them - and said, "Aw, that's too bad, but I don't really care, 'cause I like meat."

In a similar discussion on another religious forum, I was horrified to see someone - ostensibly a follower of Christ - actually write:  "Tortured animals taste better!"  Ugh.   Cry

I agree with you my friend. We are morally culpable if we understand the cruel fate of these creatures of God and contribute to their suffering in the name of exercising our "Christian liberties."

Ironically, reading through these threads, it seems that there is far more judgment heaped on vegetarians than vegentarians are exhibiting towards meat eaters. For example, "Username" wants us to keep or vegetarian convictions private, but he doesn't mind proclaiming his meat eating convictions publicly. A bit hypocritical in my opinion.

By the way, I'm still waiting for you meat eaters to tell me what's wrong with cannibalism. And don't give me some extreme example like the Dohner (Donner?) situation. Tell me what's wrong with eating human flesh if the meat is fresh and the human has been "justifiably" killed? I know this is a sick question, but I'm looking for some consistancy from those of you who argue for eating meat based on "all things are clean."

Selam

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:33:18 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2009, 04:48:02 PM »

I do agree with Theisgal.  Perhaps there should be slaughter houses or whatnot that ensure minimal pain to the animals (without anesthetics though!)  However, humans treat eachother so horribly (wars, violations, murders, etc.) that perhaps we (the Homo sapian sapians) should work on treating our fellow humans better and then we may extend that action to the animals we use for foodstuff.  Just an idea, no biggie.  Peace! 

Yes, that is one way to look at it.  However, you may want to check out a book called "Slaughterhouse" by Gail Eisnitz (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591024501/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/182-7969978-2755331?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=1DJYDNSF20XC88G0SNPW&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_i=1573921661).

She interviewed men and women who worked at slaughterhouses throughout the U.S., and found that almost all the ones who were willing to speak to her had had serious problems in their personal lives directly related to their work.  For example, alcohol and drug abuse.  And some of the men admitted going home from a day of clubbing pigs to death, to slapping their wives and children around.

A lot of the problems stem from the fact that there is such a high demand for meat in our country that the corporations who own the slaughterhouses and factory farms have a financial incentive to "look the other way" when humane laws are violated.  This results not only in tremendous suffering for the animals, but also for the human beings who work with them.

Plus, an awfully high percentage of the meat obtained from these places is riddled with filth and disease ... which is why you see an increasing number of "e coli" cases.  Her chapter on the children who have died from "e coli" is heartbreaking.

Perhaps if we seriously resolved to treat both human beings and animals with more respect and dignity, both animals and human beings would benefit.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:50:55 PM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #161 on: June 29, 2009, 05:12:59 PM »

Yes, that is one way to look at it.  However, you may want to check out a book called "Slaughterhouse" by Gail Eisnitz (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591024501/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/182-7969978-2755331?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=1DJYDNSF20XC88G0SNPW&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_i=1573921661).

She interviewed men and women who worked at slaughterhouses throughout the U.S., and found that almost all the ones who were willing to speak to her had had serious problems in their personal lives directly related to their work.  For example, alcohol and drug abuse.  And some of the men admitted going home from a day of clubbing pigs to death, to slapping their wives and children around.

A lot of the problems stem from the fact that there is such a high demand for meat in our country that the corporations who own the slaughterhouses and factory farms have a financial incentive to "look the other way" when humane laws are violated.  This results not only in tremendous suffering for the animals, but also for the human beings who work with them.

Plus, an awfully high percentage of the meat obtained from these places is riddled with filth and disease ... which is why you see an increasing number of "e coli" cases.  Her chapter on the children who have died from "e coli" is heartbreaking.

Perhaps if we seriously resolved to treat both human beings and animals with more respect and dignity, both animals and human beings would benefit.

Amen!

While there is indeed a hierarchy of order and being in creation, there is nevertheless an inextricable link amongst all of nature. If we abuse God's creation or abuse God's creatures, we invariably abuse ourselves. 

By the way, have you seen the movie "Fast Food Nation"?

Selam
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 05:14:17 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #162 on: June 29, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »

I couldn't resist

simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #163 on: June 29, 2009, 09:21:35 PM »

Being the fact that I used to be Vegan (five yrs. + 2 vegetarian yrs.) I used to be very passionate about the whole subject. I studied up on anything you can think of concerning the treatment of animals. All of it sad, true, and disturbing...point is, There is a way to be a good steward and eat meat. As a Christian, one should respect the animal/plant kingdom as much as possible but also remember that we are in need of nourishment. If an animal needs to be slaughtered for sustenance, we should do this as responsibly as possible. I feel too many humans are out of touch with the amount of human energy it takes to raise, the amount of food to feed, the gore in killing animals, let alone the land it takes to raise them on. If people were more (hands on) educated in this process, they would either gain a respect for it and make better decisions regarding it, or quit eating meat or milking animals altogether. Hunting and raising animals has given me a profound respect for the whole thing.
When I make a choice to buy meat or fish, I think of the sustainability of the animal's harvest. All this information is out there and if we are to be stewards of this planet, we have a responsibility to educate ourselves. Super Markets seperate us from this reality.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2009, 02:22:38 AM »

Being the fact that I used to be Vegan (five yrs. + 2 vegetarian yrs.) I used to be very passionate about the whole subject. I studied up on anything you can think of concerning the treatment of animals. All of it sad, true, and disturbing...point is, There is a way to be a good steward and eat meat. As a Christian, one should respect the animal/plant kingdom as much as possible but also remember that we are in need of nourishment. If an animal needs to be slaughtered for sustenance, we should do this as responsibly as possible. I feel too many humans are out of touch with the amount of human energy it takes to raise, the amount of food to feed, the gore in killing animals, let alone the land it takes to raise them on. If people were more (hands on) educated in this process, they would either gain a respect for it and make better decisions regarding it, or quit eating meat or milking animals altogether. Hunting and raising animals has given me a profound respect for the whole thing.
When I make a choice to buy meat or fish, I think of the sustainability of the animal's harvest. All this information is out there and if we are to be stewards of this planet, we have a responsibility to educate ourselves. Super Markets seperate us from this reality.

I absolutely respect your position.

Selam

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »

I couldn't resist

That's cute, Quinault!   Cheesy

With all due respect, though, I would point out that it's precisely that kind of labeling of vegans as "wimps" that makes some of us a little testy in everyday conversation.  Wink
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 01:59:59 PM by theistgal » Logged

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2009, 02:02:53 PM »

Selam

As a matter of fact, yes, I did see it last year.

I'm not sure I'm 100% behind it though.  To me, the basic premise is flawed.  I don't think eating the same of *anything* every day for 30 days is going to be all that good for you.

And my grandpa, bless his heart, goes to his local McDonald's every morning for breakfast -- he'll be 98 this year and is quite healthy!  Smiley

So for me the health issues of "vegetarian vs. carnivore" are secondary to the animal welfare issue.  I do think that *overall* a vegetarian diet is healthier for most people.  But even if it wasn't, I would still practice it, unless I had really humane sources for meat & dairy products.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 02:03:33 PM by theistgal » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2009, 02:25:03 PM »

Selam

As a matter of fact, yes, I did see it last year.

I'm not sure I'm 100% behind it though.  To me, the basic premise is flawed.  I don't think eating the same of *anything* every day for 30 days is going to be all that good for you.

And my grandpa, bless his heart, goes to his local McDonald's every morning for breakfast -- he'll be 98 this year and is quite healthy!  Smiley

So for me the health issues of "vegetarian vs. carnivore" are secondary to the animal welfare issue.  I do think that *overall* a vegetarian diet is healthier for most people.  But even if it wasn't, I would still practice it, unless I had really humane sources for meat & dairy products.

As I mentioned before, you should check out the Weston Price Foundation www.westonaprice.org

They recommend what they call "Traditional Diets" which should come from well taken care of pastured animals, fed their own natural diets. They strongly oppose confinement farming of animals and educate people about the vastly better nutrition from whole foods and naturally raised animals. Healthy animals make healthy milk and meat.

Anyone who has eaten grass fed natural beef or milk from grass fed cows can tell the difference in quality and taste immediately. Even the look of an egg from a pastured chicken is obviously better than an egg from a poor tortured chicken from a factory farm. The yolks are far more yellow and plumper.   
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 02:28:09 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2009, 02:28:23 PM »

Sure, but is he eating egg, cheese, and sausage on a buttered biscuit with syrup every morning? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 02:28:53 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2009, 02:31:48 PM »

There is a difference between "Fast food Nation" and the documentry "Super size me." Has anyone seen both?
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2009, 03:00:03 PM »

There is a difference between "Fast food Nation" and the documentry "Super size me." Has anyone seen both?

Yep. "Fast Food Nation" is a fictionalized drama. It paints a picture of an entire industrialized culture, from migrant workers, to nasty slaughterhouses, to teenage fast food employees, to the homogeneous, pre-processed, chain-style food produced by it all. It's based on the reporting of an investigative journalist who did the original research for a series of articles in Rolling Stone magazine.

"Super Size Me" is a documentary. Totally different genre.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 03:27:05 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2009, 03:51:07 PM »

Fast Food nation is ALSO a non-fiction book. My husband read the book (I skimmed it) and then we have watched both movies as well.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2009, 04:23:38 PM »

Username!

why can't you abstain and be like us fish eaters?

Thanks for posting that, I'm going to die of anaphalaxis now! Way to go..... Shocked

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2009, 05:00:38 PM »

Sure, but is he eating egg, cheese, and sausage on a buttered biscuit with syrup every morning? Roll Eyes

Believe it or not, there is hardly any correlation between cholesterol in your food and your own cholesterol count. Not only that, there is not much of a correlation between your cholesterol count and heart disease and stroke. The Trans-fats may well be bad for you but eggs and cheese are great sources of protein and fats that your body needs to work well. The bread on the egg mcMuffin is probably the worst thing for you.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #174 on: June 30, 2009, 05:07:59 PM »

^ I was going to mention a similar point - your cholesterol can actually go up more from a quarter-loaf of bread than from a pound of bacon, especially if you're not properly burning off all the calories that come from those complex carbohydrates.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 05:08:17 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #175 on: June 30, 2009, 05:39:45 PM »

I think Theistgal was confusing these two movies.

I haven't seen "Super Size Me."

Selam

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2009, 07:08:57 PM »

I think Theistgal was confusing these two movies.

I haven't seen "Super Size Me."

Selam

You caught me!!!   Grin 

Yes, I was thinking of "Super Size Me" - sorry 'bout that!

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2009, 11:17:49 PM »

That's true, except... bacteria still DO go into a person's mouth, and oh yes, they do matter...

Love never fails.
jayjay

« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2009, 08:10:03 AM »

I only eat meat when I'm hungry - the rest of the time I abstain.  Grin
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2009, 02:46:11 PM »

That's true, except... bacteria still DO go into a person's mouth, and oh yes, they do matter...

And said bacteria cannot be avoided, if that matters at all. Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags: Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: