OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:10:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rastafarian Movement  (Read 8925 times) Average Rating: 0
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« on: June 24, 2009, 09:23:40 AM »

Rasta hair, smoking marijuana, listening to reggae, calling God Jah and believing that Haile Selassie I was an second incarnation of Christ.
Apart from all those weird stuff, do you think that Rastafarians have been influenced by Oriental Orthodoxy?

Maybe someone from Ethiopia could help.

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 09:39:50 AM »

Well, I wouldn't necessarily call that stuff weird, I would say at least some of them have been influenced by Orthodoxy.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 09:50:07 AM »

Have you seen the article by Norman Reddington?  It is from an Orthodox perspective.  There are many copies of it on the Web but this is the original.  Others tend to be altered and shortened.

A SKETCH OF RASTAFARI HISTORY
by Norman Hugh Redington (1995)

http://www.voskrese.info/spl/rasta-hist.html

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 10:43:07 AM »

The founders of the movement were actually Protestant.

That being said, I think many Rastas are drawn to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church because His Imperial Majesty was a devout member of that Church.

You have to be careful about making generalizations about them.  Not all Rastas smoke marijuana.  Not all of them worship His Imperial Majesty, or consider him divine.  Many are Orthodox Christians who just hold him in high esteem.

I know very little about this movement, but my understanding is that there are different Rastafarian "houses."  One house is called "Fulfilled Rastafari," and I think they reject the belief that His Imperial Majesty was divine, and instead worship only the Holy Trinity.  I think Bob Marley was a Fulfilled Rastafari at the end of his life.

I am sure Gebre Menfes Kidus can tell us more, as well as correct any mistakes I may have made above. 

Michael L
Priest Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 10:49:53 AM »

The Road to Emmaus Journal had an article about a Rastas conversion to Oriental Orthodoxy.

http://www.roadtoemmaus.net/back_issue_articles/RTE_27/Songs_of_Freedom.pdf
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 12:35:33 PM »

The Road to Emmaus Journal had an article about a Rastas conversion to Oriental Orthodoxy. http://www.roadtoemmaus.net/back_issue_articles/RTE_27/Songs_of_Freedom.pdf

Actually, he converted to Eastern Orthodoxy, specifically the same Serbian parish that I attend.  He is a wonderful man!
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 12:59:28 PM »

The Road to Emmaus Journal had an article about a Rastas conversion to Oriental Orthodoxy. http://www.roadtoemmaus.net/back_issue_articles/RTE_27/Songs_of_Freedom.pdf

Actually, he converted to Eastern Orthodoxy, specifically the same Serbian parish that I attend.  He is a wonderful man!

He sounds like a wonderful guy.  So tell him about OC.net and invite him to post here!   Smiley

Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 03:54:38 PM »

. . .do you think that Rastafarians have been influenced by Oriental Orthodoxy?

Definitely. Here you can download a short video of a Liturgy held in an Ethiopian Orthodox church in Kingston, Jamaica, on Bob Marley's birthday: http://rapidshare.com/files/156625448/EOTC.AVI.html - a lot of Rasta people present.

The Road to Emmaus Journal had an article about a Rastas conversion to Oriental Orthodoxy.

http://www.roadtoemmaus.net/back_issue_articles/RTE_27/Songs_of_Freedom.pdf

Here is another interview with Michael Wilson: http://audio.ancientfaith.com/illuminedheart/ih_michaelwilson_pc.mp3

Have you seen the article by Norman Reddington?  It is from an Orthodox perspective.  There are many copies of it on the Web but this is the original.  Others tend to be altered and shortened.

A SKETCH OF RASTAFARI HISTORY
by Norman Hugh Redington (1995)

http://www.voskrese.info/spl/rasta-hist.html

Other essays and articles by Norman Redington:
1. http://i41.tinypic.com/23uvc0.jpg
2. http://nomadfx.com/old/rasta2.html
3. http://groups.google.pl/group/rec.music.reggae/browse_thread/thread/8e85d9479904fe45/?pli=1
4. http://hem.passagen.se/ielbo/wail/wailerhu.htm

In the text number 1, the author calls HIM Haile Selassie I (who was a pious Orthodox Christian monarch and holy passion-bearer) an icon of Christ. This title is hard to deny, especially when we have a chance to see a 6th century Christ Pantocrator icon from the St. Catherine's Monastery, Mount Sinai, on which our Lord looks exactly like Emperor Haile Selassie:

Other icons connected with the Rastafari movement:
1. An Ethiopian icon of Christ wearing dreadlocks:

2. A "digital" icon of Christ and Haile Selassie:

3. The Icon of the Black Madonna of Poland (the late Mikey Dread, a reggae musician, wrote a song dedicated - or, rather, livicated Wink - to it); below some examples of using this icon in a Rastafarin context:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:58:51 PM by Michał » Logged
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 04:32:58 PM »

Gee, I didn't expect to learn so much in one day. Tongue
Hehe, thanks a lot!

By the way, Christian reggae is very nice. I also like dreadlocks a little bit. Cheesy

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 08:23:49 PM »

All good stuff... although I have heard from a very studied and scholarly priest that the "Black Madonna" icon darkened with age as with many other icons from that day and age-painted in the same region.  police

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 01:51:58 AM »

All good stuff... although I have heard from a very studied and scholarly priest that the "Black Madonna" icon darkened with age as with many other icons from that day and age-painted in the same region.  police

The "Black Madonna" is so because of the type of varnish used as a top coat. Olifa varnish darkens slowly over a few decades, and particularly so in the presence of oil lamps and candles. Also, many ancient icons (both Byzantine and Slavic) used pigments which may not have been entirely realistic in rendering skin tones. Skin tones in Byzantine icons in particular often were in shades of bronze, because of the prevailing availability of pigments, and an attempt to show the subject as "not of this world". To argue that the Black Madonna is supposed to represent someone of African or other dark-skinned racial type is simply wrong.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:53:35 AM by LBK » Logged
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 12:44:47 PM »

Olifa varish huh - Sounds like SPF-5. I need a tan.  laugh

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
AmdeBirhan
Pillar of Light

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Christian
Jurisdiction: ArchDiocese Western Hemisphere

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 07:04:32 PM »

MICHAL- THats a great painting by Rani Carson, I met her thru Fulfilled Rastafari in NewYork, we did a color study together! 

My Jamaican-born EOTC Priest says the same, that HIM Haile Sellassie I is an ICON of Christ.
That 6th Century Icon is truly amazing resemblance of Haile Sellassie I!

Our Meriegieta tells of parish in Jamaica where some rasta proclaimed they were baptised in His Majesty's name, and how a fight broke out when the priests told them it was not so!

I am an Orthodox Christian, and yet I still consider myself a Rastaman.  I sought after His Majesty and He led me to the EOTC where I was baptised AmdeBirhan over 3 yrs ago.  I know Christ is God, and that His Majesty served Him in the FULLness.  Many Rasta have come past the fleshly thinking of God being the Emperor (or vice versa) and have come to 'overstand' the Holy Trinity due to following the teachings of His Majesty and recieving this great Faith through the late great Abuna Yesehaq, whom he sent for us in the west.

We will commemorate Haile Sellassie's (July 23) and Abuna Yesehaq's (7/27) birthdays in our congregation - in the park, not in church- on the 25th of July, here in New Jersey.

God Bless them both, with all the Faithful servants of our Lord.
AMDE

For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing assunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.- HEB 4v12
AmdeBirhan
Pillar of Light

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 07:07:02 PM »

I heard from my neighbor, who is Polish, and gave me the icon, that the Black Maddonna, 'Our Lady of Chestychowa (spelling???)' beacame darkened due to a fire in the church.  I told her 'I dont believe that, they were African!"  she agreed.

For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing assunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.- HEB 4v12
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 07:16:51 PM »

I told her 'I dont believe that, they were African!"  she agreed.

I'm sorry, but this is simply wrong, Amde.
AmdeBirhan
Pillar of Light

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 08:13:21 PM »

I should be the one who is sorry if I misrepresent our Lord's natural identity, but that is what I said then, probably around three years ago.  I have seen Eyesus Kristos represented as many nationalities, and also retain some influence regarding the original man, that Adam was Dark-skinned, BLACK being the fullness of color, and that all races ie color, come out of one man.
   The point I was making, is there are different explainations as to WHY the ICON is of a Dark-Skinned CHrist and Mary.  Is it so hard for ones to believe they WERE Dark-Skinned? 
           -by the way, I am not so dark myself, rather LIGHT.

simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 08:19:52 PM »

AmdeBirhan - Greetings to you in the Name of the Lord,
May His Majesty Haile Selassie I the 111 bless and pray for you to our Heavenly Father, the unimaginable Holy Trinity, that your path is made straight all the days of your life and that your children's children will be blessed by your shining example of Humility and Respect for our Lord. Amen +++
I pray that others will see the light within the Rasta-Culture and find our True Savior whom His Majesty has professed as Christ Jesus our Lord.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 07:22:53 AM »

I heard from my neighbor, who is Polish, and gave me the icon, that the Black Maddonna, 'Our Lady of Chestychowa (spelling???)' beacame darkened due to a fire in the church.  I told her 'I dont believe that, they were African!"  she agreed.

Częstochowa (Tchen-sto-kho-va)

I read somewhera that it darkened due to candle smoke.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »

Please read LBK's reply on #10

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 01:36:49 PM »

Please read LBK's reply on #10

I'm sorry. I forgot about it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:37:13 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 08:43:30 PM »

Post removed
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:51:35 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
AmdeBirhan
Pillar of Light

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 07:33:53 PM »

AmdeBirhan - Greetings to you in the Name of the Lord,
May His Majesty Haile Selassie I the 111 bless and pray for you to our Heavenly Father, the unimaginable Holy Trinity, that your path is made straight all the days of your life and that your children's children will be blessed by your shining example of Humility and Respect for our Lord. Amen +++
I pray that others will see the light within the Rasta-Culture and find our True Savior whom His Majesty has professed as Christ Jesus our Lord.

Thanks!
  May Our Beloved Last EMperor plead Our Lord to raise up true examples for us to join us in our struggles for Truth and Light to dispell the cloud of ignorance and indifference that casts its ugly shadow on the majority of mankind, and to bring the True KNowledge of Our Lord and God to our brothers and sisters in the Rastafari movement and establish them in the RIghteousness of God, and not their own 'form of righteousness' (ROm 10).
    One adversary to the truth and a decietful worker of dillusion I knew of, who actually said that Bob Marley was CHristos Himself!!!  upon reaching Ethiopia was hit by the Light of Truth and his delusion was corrected, he at once called a common relation of ours apologizing in admission!  Quite an example of the converting power of Our Lord in His Great Orthodox Church, wonderfully preserved in Ethiopian Tradition. 
Hold Fast that which thou hast!

Tags: Rastafarian rastafari Rasta Ethiopian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: