OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 12:49:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Jurisdiction to Choose?  (Read 7124 times) Average Rating: 0
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2009, 10:57:32 AM »

New Ortho: I did not chose a jurisdiction, I chose a parish. Ethnically, I am a Serb, yet I overlooked the local Serbian Orthodox Church in favor of the Antiochian Parish. My selection was based on relationships I had within that parish as well their extensive use of English. My trade of was that my daughter will not learn Serbian and the Serbian language; however, I can teach her that. Another reason in my choice was that I live very close (less than 5 min. ) from the AOC. The Serb Church is 45 min away. Despite all of the problems in the AOC today, I know I made the right choice every time my daughter says 'Daddy, I can't wait 'til Sunday."

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2009, 11:53:13 AM »

It was supposed to be a joke! Sad Tongue

I had gotten it and had a good chuckle. Who would have thought--Pokeman! laugh

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2009, 01:32:54 PM »

New Ortho: I did not chose a jurisdiction, I chose a parish. Ethnically, I am a Serb, yet I overlooked the local Serbian Orthodox Church in favor of the Antiochian Parish. My selection was based on relationships I had within that parish as well their extensive use of English. My trade of was that my daughter will not learn Serbian and the Serbian language; however, I can teach her that. Another reason in my choice was that I live very close (less than 5 min. ) from the AOC. The Serb Church is 45 min away. Despite all of the problems in the AOC today, I know I made the right choice every time my daughter says 'Daddy, I can't wait 'til Sunday."

It makes sense to go to the church that is 5 minutes away.  It is the local Orthodox Christian community and going there means you support it and are a member of it.  Driving 45 minutes and passing closer churches means a person is only serving his own selfish needs, wasting precious natural resources (gasoline or diesel or ethanol) and not providing his talents and support for his local Christian community.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2009, 04:28:57 PM »

It was supposed to be a joke! Sad Tongue

Sorry, I'm an English major and the wife of a high school English teacher.  I can't help myself.   Tongue

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2009, 05:04:37 PM »

I used to drive past a Greek Orthodox Church which is on my street about two miles west to attend an AOCONA. I've gone back to the GOA parish and ,because of recent events in the AOCONA am very glad I did!
I wish there was an OCA parish here but this little town cannot support two Orthodox Churches. We only have two because there was a problem in the Greek parish and Met.Alexios did not come down here to mediate. I'm very angry about that.
There used to be a ROCOR parish near Mobile,Alabama but it has closed since the priest retired.
Michael L
Priest Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2009, 07:25:06 PM »

It makes sense to go to the church that is 5 minutes away.  It is the local Orthodox Christian community and going there means you support it and are a member of it.  Driving 45 minutes and passing closer churches means a person is only serving his own selfish needs, wasting precious natural resources (gasoline or diesel or ethanol) and not providing his talents and support for his local Christian community.

That settles it then, everyone should join to the closest Orthodox parish to thier home and not think about any other factor.
Michael L
Priest Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »

That settles it then, everyone should join to the closest Orthodox parish to thier home and not think about any other factor.

Please forgive my sarcasm my friend, but I do believe that there are many factors that one should look at besides just distance from your home. Parishes and even jurisdictions have differing ethos and missions. Some parishes are more conservative/liberal in praxis than others. Some are more ethnic minded. Some are more evangelical minded. I for one would drive quite a distance(and do) to belong to a parish that I felt represented the Orthodox Church as I have come to know it. If that parish happens to be 5 minutes away then great! If that parish 5 minutes away does not cut the mustard and one chooses to go to another parish further away, well, that is hardly being selfish. In fact, some would call it a sacrifice. As for as Natural Resources, well if my wallet can handle it I am not going to lose sleep over them.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2009, 08:00:28 PM »

Question how do you like the liturgy in english did it take awhile to get use to it ,i do understand because of your daughter not knowing serbian,i sent several  non speaking serbian serbs to the antiochian church because they need to understand whats going on in Holy Liturgy...

I myself never cared for the Holy Liturgy in english,it seems its missing something ..I probably didn't give enough time to aclimate to it...

I do go out of my way not to attend a new calendar greek or other new calendar orthodox church ,, even when one was practically next door to me,i avoided it but not there festivals...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:03:04 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2009, 08:02:26 PM »

I agree with you Sinner Servant. I would drive past a parish if it was an ethnic club.
I would certainly drive past the local Antiochian parish if it was closer than the Greek Orthodox parish as it has a certain"protestant" feel to it that gives me the heebie jeebies.
It was also founded by members of the local Greek Orthodox parish who are very angry and that anger is still palatable and not conducive to spiritual growth.
Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2009, 12:52:30 AM »

I agree with you Sinner Servant. I would drive past a parish if it was an ethnic club.

I agree. I didn't used to feel that way, but that was when I was spoiled by being relatively close to a multi-ethnic community of welcoming Orthodox parishes. Now considering that I hope a parish will not only be mine, but my future children's (and their children's, and so forth), I do see why it's important to choose a parish that acts as a nourishing community. This is especially true in places where there's no such thing as an Orthodox state religion, because my kids will get no social or material advantages for being Orthodox (in fact, the opposite is more likely). This often means passing by a closer parish.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: