OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 12:51:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Joke  (Read 4899 times) Average Rating: 0
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« on: June 19, 2009, 01:42:39 PM »

This was on another forum, and I thought it worth sharing here...

An Orthodox man gets on the train and takes his seat.
After a while, he notices an Orthodox Cross on the man next to him.
After a while longer he asks, "Sir, I couldn't help noticing you're wearing an Orthodox Cross. Are you an Orthodox Christian?"
The passenger answers, "Yes, I am."
The man says, "Oh! I am too! Are you Greek or Russian Orthodox?"
"I'm Russian Orthodox." The man says,
"Ohhh, so am I! Are you Old Calendar Russian Orthodox or New Calendar Russian Orthodox?" "
I'm Old Calendar Russian Orthodox." The man says,
"Alleluia! I am too! Are you Old Calendar Anti-Ecumenist Russian Orthodox or Old Calendar Pro-Ecumenist Russian Orthodox?"
"I'm Old Calendar Anti-Ecumenist Russian Orthodox." The man says,
"Ooooh! Well, I am too! Are you Old Calendar Anti-Ecumenist New Ritualist Russian Orthodox, or Old Calendar Anti-Ecumenist Old Ritualist Russian Orthodox?"
"I'm Old Calendar Anti-Ecumenist New Ritualist Russian Orthodox." The man says,
"Well, glory to God! I am too! Are you Old Calendar Anti-Ecumenist New Ritualist Old-Man Trinity Icon-using Russian Orthodox, or Old Calendar Anti-Ecumenist New Ritualist non-Old-Man Trinity icon-using Russian Orthodox?"
"I'm Old Calendar Anti-Ecumenist New Ritualist Old-Man Trinity icon-using Russian Orthodox."
So the man says, "Aaaaaaa, you damned heretic! May you burn in hell forever!"

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 01:53:26 PM »

There are a lot of variations on this joke. I've heard it with Baptists.  But, what makes it funnier if you made one of the Russian Orthodox about to commit suicide by jumping off of a bridge.  The other comes around and tries to talk him out of it and they start conversing.  They agree on so much except when they come to an end.  So the man who comes along says to the other "Die heretic scum" and pushes him off.  Still funny though.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:53:55 PM »

LOL!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 02:05:40 PM »

Are you Old Calendar Russian Orthodox or New Calendar Russian Orthodox?"

What can be counted as New Calendar Russian Orthodox? Some OCA parishes?

I've heard this joke with another question: is your priest bearded or not? Cheesy
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 02:07:05 PM »

This reminds me a bit of a sad encounter I had once on a bus. I was sitting beside a woman who was wearing one of those silver rings engraved with Church Slavonic words. Deciding to be friendly, I asked the woman if she was an Orthodox Christian. She frowned and looked upset. She said, "No! I'm Jewish!". Of course, I then felt idiotic for intruding, and so I apologized and told her I merely noticed she was wearing one of those rings I see lots of Russian Orthodox people wearing, and that I was Orthodox myself. Then she offered that, while she is Jewish, she attends a United Church! This threw me for another loop, and then she proceeded to elaborate that she had been attracted to Russian Orthodoxy, had even joined the Church, but found it to be a "monoethnic" religion and she felt rejected as a person of Jewish ancestory, so she started attending the United Church, where she feels far more welcome and that thankfully, it is not "mono-ethnic". Her story really, really saddened me.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 07:19:30 PM »

This reminds me a bit of a sad encounter I had once on a bus. I was sitting beside a woman who was wearing one of those silver rings engraved with Church Slavonic words. Deciding to be friendly, I asked the woman if she was an Orthodox Christian. She frowned and looked upset. She said, "No! I'm Jewish!". Of course, I then felt idiotic for intruding, and so I apologized and told her I merely noticed she was wearing one of those rings I see lots of Russian Orthodox people wearing, and that I was Orthodox myself. Then she offered that, while she is Jewish, she attends a United Church! This threw me for another loop, and then she proceeded to elaborate that she had been attracted to Russian Orthodoxy, had even joined the Church, but found it to be a "monoethnic" religion and she felt rejected as a person of Jewish ancestory, so she started attending the United Church, where she feels far more welcome and that thankfully, it is not "mono-ethnic". Her story really, really saddened me.
That is sad, and it reminds me, some Byzantine Catholic Churches used to be like that, very ethnical. The Melkites were the most open, and I hear the same goes for the Antiochian Orthodox? Either way, it's sad.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 07:22:35 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 07:46:10 PM »

Most of you have probably heard it, but here it is again for the new posters:

How many Orthodox Christians does it take to change a light bulb?

CHANGE!?!
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 07:47:25 PM »

Most of you have probably heard it, but here it is again for the new posters:

CHANGE!?!
Oh my, I don't get it. This one is clearly over my head Undecided

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 07:48:51 PM »

Jokes aren't funny when you have to explain them.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 07:52:01 PM »

I'll drink to that.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 10:20:32 PM »

Another version:

Light Bulb???

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 12:25:04 AM »

Especially when they aren't funny to begin with.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 02:56:49 PM »

Another version:

Orthodox Christians together?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 03:24:45 PM »

Another version:

Light Bulb???

CHANGEHuhHuhHuh? EES OUTRAGE.

Love never fails.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 04:03:25 PM »

That would have hurt more if it hadn't taken you over three hours to get the joke.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 05:41:58 PM »

That would have hurt more if it hadn't taken you over three hours to get the joke.
I still don't get it

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 10:38:07 PM »

I still don't get it

May I gently suggest both of you drop it and let it go?

You're ruining the funniness of my thread!!!  Grin

Hugs & Kisses,

Maureen

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 12:48:27 AM »

May I gently suggest both of you drop it and let it go?

You're ruining the funniness of my thread!!!  Grin

Hugs & Kisses,

Maureen
Anything for you, sweety Kiss
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 12:50:03 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 01:44:27 PM »

Hey, I saw this joke (but with Baptists, not Orthodox) some days ago and I wanted to post it here! Embarrassed
Seriously...

Anyway, it's freakin' awesome! Grin Tongue

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
sodr2

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

القديس الانبا رويس

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 02:22:37 AM »

What do you call an Orthodox doctor?

AN ORTHODONTIST!!!

"Happiness depends on the relationship between man and God." Pope Shenouda III
sodr2

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

القديس الانبا رويس

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 02:25:56 AM »

BTW I'm confused how you guys consider the heretic jokes to be funny???

"Happiness depends on the relationship between man and God." Pope Shenouda III
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 02:42:58 AM »

I still don't get it

You're Catholic!...what do you expect?  Kiss

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 12:32:44 PM »

Best orthodox joke I heard goes like this -

A (Russian, Greek, etc  Orthodox [take your pick]) sailor was washed ashore on a deserted island for thirty years before being rescued.  During that time he built an entire (ethnic choice) village including stores and everything he needed to survive.  When they came to rescue him they asked for a tour of the village.  When they finished the tour, one of the people said to him -"But there's one thing I don't understand, since it's only you, why did you build two Orthodox churches?"  The sailor looked at him confused and answered -"That's easy ....one is the church I go to and the other is the church I don't!"

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Etsi

Always reflecting and reforming.

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 02:24:52 PM »

I learned from elsewhere that some Orthodox don't consider the original joke funny.  I've heard that joke with Orthodox, Baptists, Reformed, and Jewish people interchanged.  Why wouldn't an Orthodox person see a point or the "joke" in it?
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 02:43:27 PM »

Well...besides pointing out all differences amongst "us" Orthodox, in the end the main difference is in the depiction of the Holy Trinity (which in fact should not be drawn with a human nature given to God the Father).

One more point of contention might be that the so called wonderful Orthodox person who is inquiring as to the other, in fact damns the other to hell.  Not quite an Orthodox thing to do.  Don't judge, etc.

So, while it has many points of "ill" humor, none-the-less, it does bring out all our differences in a colorful fashion.

I actually found the "irony" amusing, not so much the joke.

The fact that the questioner is "so" Orthodox, and so worried about the specifics of his Orthodoxy and the other individual's; yet, in the end, he himself does not act at all like a true Orthodox should.

That's just my take.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Etsi

Always reflecting and reforming.

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 02:55:31 PM »

Well...besides pointing out all differences amongst "us" Orthodox, in the end the main difference is in the depiction of the Holy Trinity (which in fact should not be drawn with a human nature given to God the Father).

One more point of contention might be that the so called wonderful Orthodox person who is inquiring as to the other, in fact damns the other to hell.  Not quite an Orthodox thing to do.  Don't judge, etc.

So, while it has many points of "ill" humor, none-the-less, it does bring out all our differences in a colorful fashion.

I actually found the "irony" amusing, not so much the joke.

The fact that the questioner is "so" Orthodox, and so worried about the specifics of his Orthodoxy and the other individual's; yet, in the end, he himself does not act at all like a true Orthodox should.

That's just my take.

Regardless of what branch of faith you put in there, the ending ill humour (with the Baptist, it was a man about to commit suicide and the the questioner tells the other to go ahead and jump) is not accurately depicting the faith...but the point is (I found it to have more of a point than as a "joke") that we tend to pick each other apart, even our own.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: