OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 11:13:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on This?  (Read 3713 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: June 17, 2009, 07:57:46 PM »

One of my friends invited me to join her and her friends for dinner at a restaurant this Friday.  She's a member of a local young adult fellowship Catholic group, and the people there will be members of this group.  It's not a prayer event, but just dinner and talk set up by this group, from what I can tell.  I see it as a good way to meet Christians about my age, but I'm just wondering what others think.  The group is based out of the Latin parish that I used to attend when Latin Catholic, and I feel a little weird about that, for certain personal reasons.  Living at home, I don't have many friends left here about my age, and it would be good to make more friends, even if not Orthodox. 

Your thoughts are much appreciated.       
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 08:00:56 PM by StGeorge » Logged
Douglas
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:35:04 PM »

Why not? I see nothing wrong with it. Just go and enjoy yourself.  Smiley

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:48:36 PM »

I am with Douglas. Someone once said "the more friends, the better" to which my father used to say, "better be the right kind!"  laugh

Besides, how are we ever going to get the heterodox think of us beyond ethnic stereotypes,  if we socialize only with our fellow Orthodox?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:49:18 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 09:56:17 PM »

Some of the Roman Catholic college kids hang out with the local OCF chapter all the time. No reason not to go spend some time out and about with the Catholic folks you age.  As for reservations vis-a-vis leaving, no one probably holds any grudges in that group, it's live and let live.  If you left Catholicism for say a Protestant sect and then came back to the group and preached to them on the evils of Catholicism and how you had found the "trueness" then it may be different.  But usually Orthodox-Catholic relations are rather good, at least in my part of the country.. so there are almost no ill-feelings towards anyone that joins the Orthodox Church on the part of the people he used to go to the Catholic Church with.  I say almost none because once in a while you'll always encounter someone that may have an issue. 

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 10:05:41 PM »

Just go, StGeo. What Douglas said. I have actually found myself some good RC friends since becoming Orthodox. Interestingly, they have been VERY supportive of my decision to convert and have always been a good influence on me.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 11:11:09 PM »

Go! Have a good time!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 11:17:54 PM »

As you wrote a friend asked you to come along.  Just getting together socially sounds quite agreeable.  Smiley

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
IPC
Elder

Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RZC

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 11:20:49 PM »

Think about it, if you don't feel comfortable, or if you're not sure, don't go.

I think it would be better if you hang out with people your age, and have a good time, as anyone else, instead of going to those sort of event.

You can meet christians in a natural way, it doesn't have to be in a religious event. Right?

THIS USER USED THE SCREEN NAME PRAVOSLAV09 BEFORE.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 11:59:15 PM »

I am with Douglas. Someone once said "the more friends, the better" to which my father used to say, "better be the right kind!"  laugh

Besides, how are we ever going to get the heterodox think of us beyond ethnic stereotypes,  if we socialize only with our fellow Orthodox?

I concur on all the above, and I'll add better to be among non-Orthodox who believe in objective Truth than the Orthodox in name only. At least you have something to talk about.

Think about it, if you don't feel comfortable, or if you're not sure, don't go.

I think it would be better if you hang out with people your age, and have a good time, as anyone else, instead of going to those sort of event.

You can meet christians in a natural way, it doesn't have to be in a religious event. Right?

That seals it: GO!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 12:32:11 AM »

Just go, but remember not to drink alcohol,eat meat or dairy since it is the Apostles FAst.  Then make sure you are judgmental when they partake of the forbidden food and drink. Wink

Seriously, though, go! Have a good time.  Quit worrying!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 01:03:52 AM »

Just go, but remember not to drink alcohol, eat meat or consume dairy products since it is the Apostles' Fast.

I thought we could drink beer during fast periods.  Is this not true?  Huh
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 01:10:18 AM »

Just go, but remember not to drink alcohol, eat meat or consume dairy products since it is the Apostles' Fast.

Uncertain. Have heard people say both.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 02:49:53 AM »

^The point was for StGeorge to be as judgmental with his Catholic friends as possible. Wink

On the other note, alcohol, I think is permitted only on Tuesdays, Thursdays and weekends during the Apostles Fast.   some observe this very loosely, others very strictly.  As the Apostles Fast is not as strict as Great Lent or the Dormition Fast, there is a great room for the strictness or laxity of the discipline.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 02:56:02 AM »

Different Orthodox Churches have different customs.

Some cut out just wine (Serbs)

Others cut out wine and spirits ansd beer (Russians)

The best thing to do is to follow whatever customs are observed in your own Church.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 06:22:09 AM »

Go, enjoy yourself!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 11:34:08 AM »

Of course go! It's not like these people are Satanists who invited you to an animal sacrifice. Cheesy Most of my friends are non Orthodox, and ALL my family is non Orthodox. It's ok, go have fun, and for goodness sake if they pray the Lord's Prayer before dinner or something, pray it with them. Smiley
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 12:09:32 PM »

Of course go! It's not like these people are Satanists who invited you to an animal sacrifice. Cheesy

ROFL... this really cracked me up.   laugh

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 05:03:18 PM »

Different Orthodox Churches have different customs.

Some cut out just wine (Serbs)

Others cut out wine and spirits ansd beer (Russians)

The best thing to do is to follow whatever customs are observed in your own Church.

What?  You mean someone should follow the advice of their parish priest?  Shouldn't they get the answers online or from a book about how to be more Orthodox than the Orthodox?  I wish more people would follow the customs that are observed in their local church's customs instead of trying to depose the parish custom/priest's advice. 

StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 10:43:45 PM »

Thanks for your help.  I ended up going and meeting a few people.  Overall, the experience was good. The food was all right.  I had shrimp, baked potato soup, and a New Castle Brown Ale. 

The only awkward part was introductions, when everyone was asking everyone else which [Catholic] parish he or she attends.  When I mentioned my Orthodox church, the people were like "oh."   I probably confused some people, because I later mentioned my times at Franciscan University of Steubenville. Smiley

The Satanists were seated at the table next to us, rooting for the Phillies. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:49:16 PM by StGeorge » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 10:58:36 PM »

Thanks for your help.  I ended up going and meeting a few people.  Overall, the experience was good. The food was all right.  I had shrimp, baked potato soup, and a New Castle Brown Ale. 

The only awkward part was introductions, when everyone was asking everyone else which [Catholic] parish he or she attends.  When I mentioned my Orthodox church, the people were like "oh." 

No. The big "O." LOL.

I probably confused some people, because I later mentioned my times at Franciscan University of Steubenville. Smiley

The Satanists were seated at the table next to us, rooting for the Phillies. 

What does it matter if it wasn't the Cubs?

Glad you went.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:58:57 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 10:48:09 PM »

I went to another dinner function.  I now know several of the people.  Some of them want me to attend their faith-experience sharing meetings on Saturday night, in the decked-out basement of a Catholic church.  I asked the main organizer what they do, and he said that they have a subject, e.g. temptation, and that they then break into small groups to discuss this in their lives.  Afterwards, they have pizza, play ping pong, air hockey, pool, etc.  He said that they keep on going sometimes until 12. 

I usually try to make Vespers at 6, but I'm wondering if I could take up their offer and attend later in the evening, or if this would not be best.  What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:50:55 PM by StGeorge » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 11:04:23 PM »

I went to another dinner function.  I now know several of the people.  Some of them want me to attend their faith-experience sharing meetings on Saturday night, in the decked-out basement of a Catholic church.  I asked the main organizer what they do, and he said that they have a subject, e.g. temptation, and that they then break into small groups to discuss this in their lives.  Afterwards, they have pizza, play ping pong, air hockey, pool, etc.  He said that they keep on going sometimes until 12. 

I usually try to make Vespers at 6, but I'm wondering if I could take up their offer and attend later in the evening, or if this would not be best.  What do you think?

Sure.  Why not?  You might want to find out when they meet, when they break into groups, etc. and see how that fits in with Vespers.  And be prepared with an answer when they ask, "Where ya been?" angel

StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 11:17:34 PM »

Sure.  Why not?  You might want to find out when they meet, when they break into groups, etc. and see how that fits in with Vespers.  And be prepared with an answer when they ask, "Where ya been?" angel

"Confession"

Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: