OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:33:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Elders in America?  (Read 1245 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: June 15, 2009, 10:15:21 PM »

I just finished the book The Gurus, the Young Man and Elder Paisios.  I wonder: are there any spiritual elders in America like Elder Paisios, Porphyrios, etc.?  Any names in particular?  Thanks. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:20:00 PM by StGeorge » Logged
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 11:19:37 PM »

Many of us think of Bishop Gerasimos (Papadopoulos) of Abydos, of Thrice Blessed Memory, to be an Elder of America.  He served as a professor of New Testament at Holy Cross Theological School in the '60's, Axillary Bishop of the GOAA Sixth Archdiocesan District (Pittsburgh), 'till the late '70's, returned to Holy Cross until his death in the '90's.  He is buried on the grounds of Holy Cross.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:20:40 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 08:57:58 AM »

There are none as well known or widely recognized as Elders Paisios or Prophyrios. However, both those Elders have spiritual children living in America.

Many people recognize Elder Ephraim (St. Anthony's in AZ) or Archimandrite Roman Braga (Holy Dormition in MI) as elders. Both are getting old. Recently reposed luminaries include Fr. George Calciu, Bishop Gerasimos, Mother Benedicta Braga, & Mother Alexandra of Ellwood City.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: