OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:36:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today is the commemoration of Blessed Augustine (June 15)  (Read 2080 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: June 15, 2009, 02:31:14 PM »

Today, the Holy Orthodox Church commemorates the hierarch, Bishop of Hippo Regius, Augustine.  I know that many of this man's doctrines are in question, as are many other fathrs, but, nonetheless, he was a devout follower and lover of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.  Happy feast to all on this the first day of the Apostles' Fast.

Oh, holy hierarch, Augustine, interecede for us before the dread judgment seat of Christ!

Apolytikion, Tone 4

Today the whole inhabited world rejoices and radiantly celebrates thy memor, thou who hast trampled down heresy and confirmed Orthodoxy, and who hast given drink to the hearts of the faithful witht he river of thy words, O servant of the Most Holy Trinity and inextinguishable lamp of the Church, O holy hierarch Augustine, entreat Christ God that our souls be saved.

Kontakion, Tone 2

Holy Hierarch and theologian, boast of the Church of Christ, instructor of piety and confirmation of the Orthodox faith, uprooter of heresies, treasury of mystical teachings; blessed Father Augustine, most wondrous hierarch, ever pray for us all.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 04:37:27 PM »

thank you for posting this!
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »

IS OUTRAGE TO POST THIS ON ORTHODOX FORUM! Wink

Seriously, St. Augustine, pray for us!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 06:15:03 PM »

St. Augustine of Hippo, pray for us!

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 06:22:41 PM »

I couldn't find him in my calendar but I memorised finally that you follow rev-Julian Tongue

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 07:11:59 PM »

^Mike, several jurisdictions do not have him on their calendar for whatever reason.  All the HTM liturgical texts, such as the Menaion for June and the Great Horologion do not have him listed.  It's very disappointing.  However, if you can get it, get Fr. Seraphim's (Rose) book The Place of the Blessed Augustine in the Orthodox Church.   The book has a complete service to Augustine, both Vespers and Orthros (Matins) that was written by a priest under the guidance of St. John Maximovitch.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 07:17:42 PM »

I've got him, only 13 days later (my Parish follows Julian as majority of Parishes in my Diocese do). I've got a Julian calendar set on the Orthodox website I use most, so I couldn't find him yesterday (here's Tuesday already) Tongue

Have a blessed St. Augustine's day!
BTW: What is HTM?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 07:25:23 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 07:27:38 PM »

The icon posted by Alpo could just as likely be of St Augustine of Canterbury, given the western-style vestments. There is no controversy about the veneration of Augustine of Canterbury as a pre-schism western Orthodox saint.

The troparion and kontakion posted for Augustine of Hippo are interesting, where did you get them from, scamandrius?
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 07:38:04 PM »

The icon posted by Alpo could just as likely be of St Augustine of Canterbury, given the western-style vestments.

It might be, but it isn't. I copied it from here and there is a completely distinct page for icons of St. Augustine of Canterbury.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 07:40:49 PM by Alpo » Logged

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 07:41:33 PM »

^Mike, several jurisdictions do not have him on their calendar for whatever reason.  All the HTM liturgical texts, such as the Menaion for June and the Great Horologion do not have him listed.  It's very disappointing.  However, if you can get it, get Fr. Seraphim's (Rose) book The Place of the Blessed Augustine in the Orthodox Church.   The book has a complete service to Augustine, both Vespers and Orthros (Matins) that was written by a priest under the guidance of St. John Maximovitch.

I'm quite happy that he is not emphasized that much in Orthodoxy.  

I know that many of this man's doctrines are in question, as are many other fathrs, but, nonetheless, he was a devout follower and lover of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Personally, I don't think that other fathers made the same number of errors as Augustine did, not by a longshot.  I know that it is fashionable in some circles to say that what Augustine wrote was not bad, but rather how others have interpreted it, but IMHO this idea does not bear close examination.  He wrote quite a few over-the-top things that I have read, and there are doubtless many more that I have not read, since the corpus of his work is so staggeringly large.  But I agree with you that he seems to have been a very devout follower of our Lord who laboured tirelessly in His vineyard.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 07:45:10 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 07:50:55 PM »

Pravoslavbob,

have you read his Confessions? I used to have kind a reserved view on St. Augustine before reading it. I used to wonder Fr. Seraphim Rose's comments that it made him always cry. After reading it I understanded why.

LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 07:55:41 PM »

Yes, but has this service been accepted for use by the Orthodox Church, i.e. in any Menaion of any of the local Orthodox churches? Blessed Augustine is indeed mentioned in Orthodox church calendars, both Greek and Slavic, but, even in my very comprehensive archive of liturgical materials in several languages, I have not encountered any liturgical texts associated with him.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 08:01:43 PM »

Pravoslavbob,

have you read his Confessions? I used to have kind a reserved view on St. Augustine before reading it. I used to wonder Fr. Seraphim Rose's comments that it made him always cry. After reading it I understanded why.

I have read some of this work, and what I read was beautiful and very good.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 08:03:04 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 08:35:01 PM »

The troparion and kontakion posted for Augustine of Hippo are interesting, where did you get them from, scamandrius?

The service to St. Augustine, both Vespers and Orthros (Matins) are found in Fr. Seraphim's The Place of Blessed Augustine in the Orthodox Church.  It was written by Fr. Ambrose Pogodin along with other services to other "western" pre-schism saints.  All of this was done at the request and with the blessing of Archbishop John of Western Europe, which was presented to the Synod of Bishops and approved by them for use in the churches from a synodal document of May 15, 1955.  At that time, no other Orthodox jurisdictions in this country, Greek or Slavic, had any commemoration of him on their calendar.

Provoslavbob,

You say Augustine committed way too many errors so that he removed himself from commemoration as an Orthodox saint.  Is there a specific enumeration of "errors" that would disqualify one from glorification?  How many errors is too many?  Thank goodness our salvation is not determined by how many errors we commit in our earthly life.

Jake

Faith: Eastern orthodox

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 09:10:11 PM »

Today is the feast day of St. John of Suchava, which is more important to me.

There are 3 churches in Canada named after St. John of Suchava, all founded by Ukrainians who immigrated from Bukovyna, Ukraine.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 10:43:28 PM »

Provoslavbob,

You say Augustine committed way too many errors so that he removed himself from commemoration as an Orthodox saint. 

I said nothing of the kind.  Please do not put words in my mouth.

Is there a specific enumeration of "errors" that would disqualify one from glorification?  How many errors is too many?  Thank goodness our salvation is not determined by how many errors we commit in our earthly life.

I don't know, how many?  I do not dispute the sanctity of Augustine.  I know for a fact that he wrote quite a few really, really whacked-out things that are not just errors, but would probably make you gasp.  Don't take my word for it; read him yourself.   For example, In the fight against Pelagius, he became very extreme in some of his  arguments.  He has also written some really strange things about sex.  I don't remember the exact places where he wrote these things. I am sure that you can find some gems if you do a little digging.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 01:09:35 AM »

The icon posted by Alpo could just as likely be of St Augustine of Canterbury, given the western-style vestments.

A recent icon painted in France.

http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/icons/Icons-Augustine-Africa.htm
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »

Here's something I read about St. AUgustine:

"This famous son of St. Monica was born in Africa and spent many years of his life in wicked living and in false beliefs. Though he was one of the most intelligent men who ever lived and though he had been brought up a Christian, his sins of impurity and his pride darkened his mind so much, that he could not see or understand the Divine Truth anymore. Through the prayers of his holy mother and the marvelous preaching of St. Ambrose, Augustine finally became convinced that Christianity was the one true religion. Yet he did not become a Christian then, because he thought he could never live a pure life.

He was baptized, became a priest, a bishop, a famous Catholic writer, Founder of religious priests, and one of the greatest saints that ever lived. He became very devout and charitable, too. On the wall of his room he had the following sentence written in large letters: “Here we do not speak evil of anyone.” St. Augustine overcame strong heresies, practiced great poverty and supported the poor, preached very often and prayed with great fervor right up until his death. “Too late have I loved You!” he once cried to God, but with his holy life he certainly made up for the sins he committed before his conversion. His feast day is August 28th (RC liturgical Calendar)."

His Quote:

“Too late have I loved you, O Beauty of ancient days, yet ever new! Too late I loved you! And behold, you were within, and I abroad, and there I searched for you; I was deformed, plunging amid those fair forms, which you had made. You were with me, but I was not with you. Things held me far from you-things which, if they were not in you, were not at all. You called, and shouted, and burst my deafness. You flashed and shone, and scattered my blindness. You breathed odors and I drew in breath-and I pant for you. I tasted, and I hunger and thirst. You touched me, and I burned for your peace”  - (St. Augustine, Confessions).

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 04:53:11 PM »

A very holy man!  I have a deep appreciation for him.  I pray to his mother, St. Monica quite often. 

St. Augustine, pray to God for us! 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Eugenio
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 12:43:16 AM »

Pray for us, St. Augustine!

Even if he wrote things that were later judged to be at odds with church doctrine, he should be judged on his sanctity and holiness, not on his occasional lapses into heresy.

If God shuts out anyone who ever writes statements that are in error (even if written in innocence, confusion, or ignorance), then heaven must be a sparsely-populated place indeed! I for one do not believe we worship such a God.

The church, in its wisdom, should be zealous and rigorous in judging writings and demonstrating error when it exists - even when it is written by saints.

But thanks be to God, He judges us mercifully - according to His book, not the ones we write.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 12:59:53 AM »

St. Augustine of Hippo, pray for us!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 01:56:26 AM »

"Our hearts are restless until they rest in Thee." St. Augustine of Hippo

What a blessing to share in the joy of celebrating this wonderful saint raised to the altars by both of our Churches. Here is the Collect for St. Augustine on his feast day of August 28, in the Roman Missal:

Give heed, O almighty God, to our humble prayers, and since Thou givest us confident assurance in Thy loving kindness, deign to grant us, through the intercession of blessed Augustine, Thy Confessor and Bishop, the effect of Thy wonted mercy. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who livest and reignest with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, one God, unto ages of ages. Amen.

St. Augustine, pray for us!

Tags: St. Augustine 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: