OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 02:00:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fr George Florovsky on the Limits of the Church  (Read 1751 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: November 11, 2003, 12:30:34 AM »

I found this article on the Limits of the Church by Fr Georges Florovsky, published in 1933. He specifically attacks the idea of sacramental economy that I hear preached in traditionalist circles.  I would like anyone's reactions to this article as I am trying to make up my mind if Fr George is correct here.

Thanks!

anastasios

http://www.jbburnett.com/auctor/florovsky/florovsky_limits-of-church.pdf

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 03:18:42 PM »

Just skimmed the copy you sent me. I like it! ISTM that like Schmemann and Meyendorff, Fr Georges was one of the 'good-guy' Russian Orthodox from a Catholic POV, not Modernist but basically mirroring the Catholic Church's view of sacraments outside the canonical borders of one's church, as opposed to the strict interpretation of St Cyprian and some Eastern Orthodox today.

An example of how he was not Modernist: he agrees with Metropolitan Anthony (Khrapovitsky, former metropolitan of Kiev and founding first hierarch of ROCOR) and disagrees in advance (Fr Georges was writing in the 1930s) with dissident RC Edward Schillebeeckx (late 1960s) about taking economy too far and declaring that the Church can dispense with administering the form of a sacrament altogether since, in ES's words, the Church is sacrament (and thus can basically do what it likes). This was the same dodgy thinking behind the attempted Anglican-Methodist reunion in 1968 (the thinking was if the Church is sacrament, then by fiat it can declare Methodist ministers to be priests!) and led one commentator (I think the late, great Fr Eric Mascall) to say, sarcastically, it could be applied to Quakers in a reunion scheme, simply declaring them all baptized! No va - it doesn't go.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 03:19:30 PM by Serge » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: