OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 11:40:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: So, just where IS The South?
Only the Deep South is really Southron - 14 (21.9%)
The Deep South and parts of MO and KY - 6 (9.4%)
The Deep South, TX and maybe OK - 4 (6.3%)
All of the above - 27 (42.2%)
I'm a Yankee and don't know too much - 13 (20.3%)
Total Voters: 64

Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: A Question about The South  (Read 10809 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2010, 11:31:42 PM »

If the South had won the War.

LOL...Spike Lee's drivel...

Not sure where to begin on that...I suppose if one's used to calling it the "Civil War," one might come to that film's conclusion (which I have seen, btw).  But a Civil War, by definition, is "a war between political factions or regions within the same country" (SOURCE). Trouble is, the South wasn't trying to be "the same country" as the United States; they didn't want Washington for their own, nor did they want to impose any kind of rule over her.  They wanted to be left alone, with their own government, their own capital, their own life.  Thus, one could hardly call the war of1861-5 a "Civil War"; rather, "War for Southern Independence" or "War between the States" is much more accurate.

Makes all the difference.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2010, 11:48:40 PM »

Also known as the "War of the Rebellion" wherein the suthern slavedrivers rebelled against the Yunitad Stayts uv America AKA the Union.  Grin

Did you know that Orthodox Russia saved the Union? There is a book about this I posted earlier on this thread I believe. Tsar Alexander and Lincoln apparently had an affinity for one another because Alexander II freed the serfs and Lincoln freed the slaves.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2010, 08:01:37 AM »

Kevin Willmott, a film professor at U. of Kansas, Lawrence, wrote and directed the movie. Spike Lee had no role in creating the movie itself, even though he did let his name be used in promoting it.

I know Kansas is not looked upon favorably in some parts, but c'mon.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:03:06 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2010, 09:17:10 AM »

Kevin Willmott, a film professor at U. of Kansas, Lawrence, wrote and directed the movie. Spike Lee had no role in creating the movie itself, even though he did let his name be used in promoting it.

1) You're right; I just did stream-of-consciousness when I wrote the line b/c all I could think of was "Spike Lee's drivel" associated w/the promotion of the movie.  In all honesty, I thought he was consulted re: the movie's content.  Anyway.  Sorry.

2) Re: KU.  I mean, really.  I've spent my whole life in TX and OK (until this move to NY).  You really think I'm gonna give an unbiased opinion about a Jayhawk?!  Wink  

Seriously, though, the central premise of the movie is ahistorical, treating the war as something it fundamentally was not (and this on several levels).  The point is to show, ultimately, how racism is still present today in advertising and other media in the United States; that some folks take it as a tale w/the message of, "See?  Good thing the South didn't take D.C.!" is doubly sad, then.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:20:30 AM by DavidBryan » Logged

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2010, 12:34:56 AM »

1) You're right; I just did stream-of-consciousness when I wrote the line b/c all I could think of was "Spike Lee's drivel" associated w/the promotion of the movie.  In all honesty, I thought he was consulted re: the movie's content.  Anyway.  Sorry.

2) Re: KU.  I mean, really.  I've spent my whole life in TX and OK (until this move to NY).  You really think I'm gonna give an unbiased opinion about a Jayhawk?!  Wink  

Seriously, though, the central premise of the movie is ahistorical, treating the war as something it fundamentally was not (and this on several levels).  The point is to show, ultimately, how racism is still present today in advertising and other media in the United States; that some folks take it as a tale w/the message of, "See?  Good thing the South didn't take D.C.!" is doubly sad, then.

It IS a good thang for us US Americans that the South did dunt take DC. Suthunuhs burnt down duh Chambersburg Pennsylvania. Da south say da south will rayuz again. Dat sounds like dah bad stuff.

Ivan Turchaninov Born into a Don Cossack family in Russia he attended the Imperial Military School in St. Petersburg in 1851 and later served as a Colonel of Staff in the Russian Guards. He fought in Hungary and in the Crimean War.
Please see http://02varvara.wordpress.com/2008/02/12/ivan-turchaninov-a-russian-general-in-the-union-army/

You tell me: was Turchaninov using eastern-style methods for dealing with confederate slave-bossing um "difficulties"? (uhhhh) The Varvara page implies that he could have been framed.

Bad stuff went down. God save them
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:36:26 AM by rakovsky » Logged
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »

It IS a good thang for us US Americans that the South did dunt take DC. Suthunuhs burnt down duh Chambersburg Pennsylvania. Da south say da south will rayuz again. Dat sounds like dah bad stuff.

The days of a second rising are long gone, and the South didn't want D.C. in the first place.  They burned PA because it was on their way to pin down D.C. in an effort to have their independence recognized, but once that happened, they would have gone back home, leaving the Yanks to lick their wounds.  And the attempt at a drawl is unnecessary.

Ivan Turchaninov Born into a Don Cossack family in Russia he attended the Imperial Military School in St. Petersburg in 1851 and later served as a Colonel of Staff in the Russian Guards. He fought in Hungary and in the Crimean War.
Please see http://02varvara.wordpress.com/2008/02/12/ivan-turchaninov-a-russian-general-in-the-union-army/

You tell me: was Turchaninov using eastern-style methods for dealing with confederate slave-bossing um "difficulties"? (uhhhh) The Varvara page implies that he could have been framed.

I'm not sure of your point here...Sherman was guilty of similarly vicious tactics in his march to the sea; such is often and tragically the nature of war.  What is the point you're trying to make in mentioning him?

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2010, 05:41:54 PM »

And the attempt at a drawl is unnecessary.

Me funny.

I'm not sure of your point here...Sherman was guilty of similarly vicious tactics in his march to the sea; such is often and tragically the nature of war.  What is the point you're trying to make in mentioning him?

Some Confederate sympathizers cartooned him as fitting an ethnic stereotype of barbarian Cossacks, and I wanted to see if you agreed. I mean was the Russians' use of mass-produced, non-elite Sherman Tanks a poetic image combining Sherman with "barbarian" Cossack hoardes?
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: