OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 05:10:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memorization and Recall  (Read 1151 times) Average Rating: 0
Gkterra
Formerly know as findingfaith

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« on: June 27, 2009, 02:21:51 PM »

Having just become Catechumen, my spiritual Father gave me my first book to read. (Introducing the Orthodox Church by Anthony M. coniaris) Now during our long conversation as He was asking me questions I kept drawing blanks on things I've already read upon, and should have known, but did not remember until he started explaining them, this bothered me. Thankfully I was able to remember some, but not as much as I would have liked.
So I'm hoping someone here might recommend some techniques to help me in this area.

Peace be with You

George
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:22:28 PM by findingfaith » Logged

Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 02:43:53 PM »

Having just become Catechumen, my spiritual Father gave me my first book to read. (Introducing the Orthodox Church by Anthony M. coniaris) Now during our long conversation as He was asking me questions I kept drawing blanks on things I've already read upon, and should have known, but did not remember until he started explaining them, this bothered me. Thankfully I was able to remember some, but not as much as I would have liked.
So I'm hoping someone here might recommend some techniques to help me in this area.

Peace be with You

George

Dear George,

I always tell my students (I am a university biology teacher) to read with a pen and paper, making notes as you read. Also, organize the material: make charts, "branch"-like classifications or concept outlines, etc. Very important, IMHO, is to try to engage in a dialogue with someone, teaching this someone what you yourself just learned from your reading. This someone can be a real person, or someone you merely imagine - but, in both cases, you learn so much better when you teach. 

Here are some quick references:

http://www.csbsju.edu/academicadvising/help/remread.htm

http://classiclit.about.com/od/howtoread/ht/aa_howtoremembr.htm

http://www.howdini.com/howdini-video-6635124.html

http://www.schaefersblog.com/7-ways-to-remember-what-you-read/

Love never fails.
Gkterra

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 08:17:22 PM »

Thank you for your informative post Heorhij, it was a good reminder that studying is more than simply reading text. It's been a long time since I've been in school, I guess it's time to get back on the horse. Also thank you for the links

Peace be with You

George

Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 10:47:30 PM »

Thank you for your informative post Heorhij, it was a good reminder that studying is more than simply reading text. It's been a long time since I've been in school, I guess it's time to get back on the horse. Also thank you for the links

Peace be with You

George

You are most welcome, brother. I am really one of the fans of the "you-learn-when-you-teach" approach, developed especially well in the works of the Soviet pedagogue and philosopher of the 1920-s called Lev Vygotsky, whose works, almost unknown in the former USSR, became a bestseller in the USA of the 1960-s - 1970-s. Vygotsky argued that the ONLY way to really learn anything is to engage in an internal, imagined dialogue with someone "else," not necessarily a real person, maybe a product of your imagination but, nonetheles, someone important, someone you REALLY want to convey your budding knowledge to.

Interestingly, Vygotsky's thoughts were later found to resonate very closely with the thoughts of a Russian philosopher MIkhail Bakhtin, who, for the development of his "philosophy of the dialogue," was claimed, well after his death in the mid-1970-s, to be the most advanced philosopher of the entire 20th century.

Love never fails.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 11:04:48 PM »

George,

As a teacher myself, I really cannot say much more than Heorhij did with regards to helping you with learning the Orthodox faith.  But another thing to remember and, perhaps more importantly, is that the Orthodox faith is a living faith.  No one becomes Orthodox simply by reading about it.  It is also important to not only learn the dogma and the doctrine but to also integrate it into your spiritual/prayer life.  The technical term for that phenomenon is the Latin phrase lex orandi, lex credendi; the law of prayer [is] the law of belief.  Prayer and doctrine cannot be separate.  So as you read Coniaris' book (and it's a good one too in that it's very readable and straightforward), also integrate it when you go to Liturgy or Vespers or Matins or whatever.  Fortunately, the Liturgy and the Offices are great at reinforcing that doctrine as well.

Good luck.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 11:44:48 PM »

Best wishes for progress in your spiritual journey in Faith.  Unfortunately, the forgetfullness is common in a learning process.  Your faith is what is most important.  The essentials will come as you read and reread and experience the Faith.  I'm sure your spiritual father understands that. Keep attending the Divine Services; set up a schedule or plan for reading and prayer.  Our Holy Orthodoxy has so much to offer us for our spiritual growth; our learning curve (our spiritual ladder) continues throughout this life.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 12:37:40 AM »

Remember no one's going to test you, and it's called the Final Judgment, not the Final Exam. The best way to learn it is to live it. Prayers for you.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
Gkterra

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 11:20:32 AM »

Thank you all for Your inspirational posts, it was most helpful, and will no doubt help keep me grounded in my Faith in the Lord.
I was not really worried about major Theology, just basic points that i should have remembered, like is Jesus God? I got flustered and could not pull the answer out when I knew it. I would just like to be able to Recall what I do know, and not draw blanks, if that makes any sense.
Not just when I speak with Father, but when i speak with people I know, Who ask what is Orthodoxy? since I've noticed anyone here I tell That I've been going to the orthodox church, They have never heard of it. And I would like to be able to answer their questions in a comprehensive manner.
Again thank you all for your help, it is most appreciated.

Peace be with You

George

GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 12:18:40 PM »

Discussing about it is the best way.
I don't know what else to say, so I'll leave it all to prayer.

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: