OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:22:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting to Orthodoxy from the Roman Catholic Church  (Read 1659 times) Average Rating: 0
cristian84

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: June 12, 2009, 09:03:57 PM »

Hello everyone, Im new to the forum. I wanted to introduce myself, my name is Cristian and I am going to be chrismated in the next few weeks. I have had a long journey form the Catholic world to the Prrotestant world and back again with my final destination being the Holy Orthodox Church. God Bless everyone look forward to reading and posting!  Grin
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »

Welcome home.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 12:16:55 AM »

This is wonderful news. Share with us some of your journey. What led you to the Orthodox Church?
cristian84

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 05:24:17 PM »

This is wonderful news. Share with us some of your journey. What led you to the Orthodox Church?

Its a long story but I will try to condense it, with little detail. I was raised as a Roman Catholic, went through catechism and was confirmed. In my teenage years I was invited to a Assemblies of God church (Pentecostal), after hearing the message of the gospel I had a born again experience. I was a charismatic christian who loved the Lord and wanted nothing more than to bring others into the kingdom of God and live biblically. (It should be noted that while I was in and AG church, I still had a variety of other influences forming my doctrinal, biblical and world view. Ranging from Chuck Swindoll, Hank Hanegraaff, Dr. R.C Sproll, Bishop TD Jakes, even Word of Faith Preachers and Health and Wealth Gospel preachers such as Crefflo Dollar & company!) I felt it necessary to be a biblical christian, this is what brought me to a serious study of church history, the fahters and theology. This lead me to return to the Catholic Church ( I was involved in youth ministry, even the charismatic renewal). However I continued to study and read history and some of the fathers, which eventually led me face to face with the Orthodox Church.  Im in the military and was stationed about 20 miles from an orthodox church. I went to the Divine Liturgy, and it was the most beautiful and fulfilling worship experience I had even been a part of. I also met with the parish priest many times to discuss the faith, worship and life as an orthodox christian. However I was hesitant to convert (Im married and have 2 kids, all of who are catholic) and actually did not convert, I waited, studied, prayed, studied some more, prayed some more, and waited some more! I received another assignment (where I am currently) and there happened to be an orthodox church about 5-6 miles from the base. I started to attend liturgy there (all while still going to Mass with my family). However its been four and half years since my initial encounter with the Orthodox faith and the Divine Liturgy. After all this time, I will be chrismated into the church this coming sunday. Glory to God! There is obviously a lot more to the story however I think most people will get the gist!
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 05:52:49 PM »

Glory to God!

How does your family feel about your conversion?

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 11:24:38 PM »

Glory to God!
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 11:30:21 PM »

Welcome home!  The Newly Illumined are the envy of the world.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: