OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:36:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayers for those in a terrible car accident  (Read 3930 times) Average Rating: 0
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: June 12, 2009, 10:59:33 AM »

On Wednesday evening, I witnessed a horrible car accident. I was traveling south on a Highway (125 for those of you in the Springfield area). The Highway is very narrow and has many hills. People are often speeding on this highway...it is very accident prone.

I left work and was on my way to pick up my kids from daycare. I heard a screech, looked in my rear view mirror and saw two trucks hit each other in a head-on collision. It was terrible. One SUV went flying and landed upside down on one side of the road. The other pickup went spinning on the opposite side. I have seen accidents before and have been in one, but the sound of this accident was absolutely horrific. The vehicles were completely smashed and totaled.

The vehicles were only about 100 feet behind me.

I quickly made a U-Turn and called 911. I was the first one on the scene. As I was giving the operator directions to the accident, she was asking me to look in the vehicles to see how many people there were. There was one lady in the pickup. She was knocked out cold. I was afraid at first she was dead, but after a few minutes she began moving. In the SUV that flipped over, there were a husband, wife and two small children.

I won't go into graphic detail, but it was very bad. They had to use the jaws of life on both vehicles. It just sickened me. I called our local monastery right after I got off the phone with 911 and asked them to start praying for those in the accident. I began praying myself, but felt shocked and powerless.

I watched the news that night to find out what happened, but the story wasn't covered. When I walked into class last night, my professor told me she heard me being interviewed on the radio. She said the deaths were tragic. I quickly asked her what happened because I didn't know the status of those in the accident. She told me on the radio in the morning they said there were 3 fatalities; 2 children and 1 adult. I felt like I was going to be sick. I left the class room and called the Abbess to pray for them.

I have felt a wave of depression since hearing this. If I had been 3 seconds later, I would have been in the accident. I thought "what if I had my kids with me?" Why did God spare me? Its all very sobering.

Please keep these people in your prayers. May God keep all of you safe in your daily travels. Lord have mercy.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 11:01:45 AM by Bono Vox » Logged

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Douglas
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:03:40 AM »

Oh Lord... have mercy upon these unfortunate victims and upon your servant who witnessed this horrific accident. Bring peace and healing for those who remain... particularly the families who have suffered such a tragic loss.

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 11:16:47 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Memory Eternal to those who died.

I once had a similar feeling of bewilderment. It was raining very hard, and when my car dipped in a large pool of water in a depression on the road, it skidded and ended up on the other side, against the traffic. Miraculously, there were no vehicles moving there, so I had the time to return to the right side. But once I had done it, a very large trailer truck appeared on the other side. If I skidded just a few seconds later, I would most definitely be killed.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 11:18:33 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 12:19:35 PM »

Memory eternal!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 12:20:33 PM »

Lord, have mercy!  Memory eternal!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 12:43:12 AM »

Terrible news!
 Oh Lord, please have mercy.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 12:46:40 AM »

Lord have Mercy.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 01:23:10 AM »

Memory Eternal!  May God grant healing to those who survived and witnessed this horrible accident.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 02:58:56 PM »

Lord have mercy! Memory eternal.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »

Memory eternal to those departed.

Lord have mercy and give strength to the survivors, for they surely have a long way to recovery - physical and mental.

Peace to you Bono Vox, and the knowledge that God is watching over you.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »

Lord, have mercy, on those departed, those injured, and the survivors.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 04:06:50 PM »

Lord have mercy! Memory Eternal!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 07:51:22 PM »

Господе Помилујсе На Погинуле и Живе ,,,Амин
Вечнајим Памјат,,,,Амин

Lord Have Mercy! on the Surviviors and the Victims ..Amen
May Their Memory Be Eternal...Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 09:38:44 PM »

Lord, have mercy. Memory eternal.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 02:38:11 AM »

Dear Jesus, please have mercy on all involved.

Bono Vox, I am really glad that you are fine!!! As for me, it also happened that I lost control on a rainy road, when the opposite side was fortunately unusually empty. So everything ended really okay. Also, I was very fortunate when a cab, where I was a passenger, turned 180 degrees on a left lane of a state highway during a snow storm.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 03:34:14 PM »

Memory eternal!  Lord have mercy!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 10:20:46 PM »

Memory Eternal!  May God grant healing to those who survived and witnessed this horrible accident.

Amen.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
jayjay

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 11:40:22 AM »

Prayers for you, and for the Emergency service persons who attended the accident also police Just last night i attended a rollover - I had no idea how the driver survived with only a cut lip - he should have died - these accidents can be very distressing for not only those who witness them, but those who have to deal with the carnage - I know!.
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 05:33:44 PM »

I'll pray.

I saw a corpse being moved from an accident once, when I was going to renew my driver's license.  It wasn't a good feeling. 

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 05:36:07 PM by StGeorge » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: