OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 03, 2014, 02:04:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cell phones in church  (Read 3521 times) Average Rating: 0
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« on: June 12, 2009, 04:24:12 AM »

I was wondering what people here have experienced in church concerning cell phones. I myself have heard cell phones going off during church services and people answering them!

My niece told me that one day in church during mass, the person in front her had her phone go off. Well, this person answered it and crouched behind the pew so the priest wouldn't see her using the phone. It was amazing to even imagine this til it happened in my church. It happened the same way except this person didn't crouch behind the pew, he sat straight up as he answered his phone.

Have you good people experienced something of the sort? I hope no one here has answered their phone during liturgy  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:24:56 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 04:30:48 AM »

The priest in the church I attend has had his phone go off during vespers at least three times over the last few years. Mucho embarrasso....  Shocked Shocked Tongue
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 04:34:16 AM »

I had an embaressing incident happen to me. I had shut my cell phone off before going in church for Liturgy, but had forgotten the alarm was set to go off on the phone at 10:00 AM. So despite being shut off, at 10 AM, in the middle of the Epistle reading, the phone starts ringing!

My girlfriend and I frantically start digging through my purse to kill the phone while people around us started to stare! We finally shut the phone off, and it starts ringing again during the Gospel reading! I finally tore the battery out of the phone! I was so embaressed!  laugh

From now on, I don't take chances -- the phone stays in the car!!  laugh

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 04:35:10 AM »

I have heard of some Protestant mega-churches having signal blockers installed in the nave so that people cannot receive calls during service.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 04:36:20 AM »

The priest in the church I attend has had his phone go off during vespers at least three times over the last few years. Mucho embarrasso....  Shocked Shocked Tongue
LOL! I would've loved to see the expression on his face.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:41:19 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 04:37:11 AM »

I have heard of some Protestant mega-churches having signal blockers installed in the nave so that people cannot receive calls during service.
Hey! I think someone did that to my head Undecided

LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 04:45:01 AM »

LOL! I would've loved to see the expression on his face.

Unfortunately, he had his back to the congregation.  Sad
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 04:55:30 AM »

My priest actually stopped his reading from the Gospel for the most recent Holy Friday Burial Vespers because he didn't want to compete with a ringing cell phone--he resumed reading once the phone was silenced.

I also recall many years ago when a cell phone belonging to someone in my church choir started ringing during the announcements after Sunday Liturgy.  The ring tone was, quite appropriately, the song from The Wizard of Oz:  "If I Only Had a Brain". laugh  (IIRC, the woman to whom this happened also happens to be one of the beat writers for The Onion Dome.)
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 05:24:04 AM »

Some Catholic parishes in Mexico have also used the signal jammers:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2004-09-21-church-cell-jammer_x.htm

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 05:45:40 AM »

Cellphones in church, during worship?

IS OUTRAGE!!!!

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 01:16:12 PM »

When my job used to require me to be on call I had a couple of times when I had to rush out of liturgy to go take calls in a quieter and more private area.  Our matushka is also a pediatrician so she frequently is on call as well.  No one really makes much over a cell going off in our parish as long as it's silenced quickly or the person being called takes it out into the nave.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 01:19:04 PM »

I keep mine on silent in my pocket since my husband is in Afghanistan and when he calls I NEED to get it since his chances to call are few and far between.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 01:41:24 PM »

I think it's a question of spirituality too though because St. John Chrysostom would have people coming in and out during his sermons at Agia Sophia, and would REGULARLY interrupt him with questions, statements, screaming, etc.  Most of the time he would just ignore the person, but he would also sometimes address them in the middle of his sermon and then just go right back to what he was talking about (like a rhetorician...which he was). 

I think there is something to be said about the sanctity of what you are doing, but also something to be said about pastoral care and seeing christ in the person. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 01:47:56 PM »

Many cell phones do have a vibrating but otherwise silent ring setting.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 02:34:15 PM »

I have attended Orthodox services and like doing so. Growing up a Latin Catholic and then attending EO worship services was something very new to me. Especially all the activity going on during DL, lots of commotion at times. People coming in and out, some talking in the Nave, everybody greeting and hugging eachother during the service, etc. It's new to me, but I do come from a different background. My mother is from Latin America so obviously we had to attend Spanish Mass.

The priest we had was from Spain, and he was very strict (they seemed to be the strictest). No one dared to talk during the homily and no babies crying. He'd stop the Mass and ask you to be quiet or take your crying baby out. I know cell phones were not in use during that time, but have always wondered what his reaction would've been like if he had them going off during Mass. He'd probably freak out! Shocked
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:35:31 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

cobweb

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 02:41:42 PM »

When it happened in our parish, one of the yia-yias spoke up and loudly said, "That had better be God calling!"

laugh

It hasn't happened since
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 02:46:45 PM »

To my horror, I've learned from some of my (more conservative at that) evangelical friends that they text one another during services Shocked Shocked. Not only this, but they take photos of one another and upload onto their facebook profiles...all during the church service...

Some take "sermon notes" on their blackberries during service...

Maybe I am just too old-fashioned, but this to me, is simply un-called for and disrespectful. I have never seen anything as bad as this in the Orthodox Church, thankfully.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 03:13:06 PM »

To my horror, I've learned from some of my (more conservative at that) evangelical friends that they text one another during services Shocked Shocked. Not only this, but they take photos of one another and upload onto their facebook profiles...all during the church service...

Some take "sermon notes" on their blackberries during service...

Maybe I am just too old-fashioned, but this to me, is simply un-called for and disrespectful. I have never seen anything as bad as this in the Orthodox Church, thankfully.

I have a friend who has the attention span of a gnat and when we used to go to one of the Protestant megachurches, she spent 50% of the service writing goofy notes to me.  I always wondered how she came away talking about feeling moved and blessed by the message in the service when I don't think she really heard a word of it.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 03:20:13 PM »

I tried to put my cellphone on "no ring" one time but it was stuck on vibrate and it started vibrating while I was chanting the Gospel. Probably no one heard it, but it was sure annoying Wink

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 03:47:01 PM »

I tried to put my cellphone on "no ring" one time but it was stuck on vibrate and it started vibrating while I was chanting the Gospel. Probably no one heard it, but it was sure annoying Wink
I thought clergy only carried "beepers" ? kinda like doctors  Roll Eyes

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »

This is 2009 buddy.  Tongue

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 04:12:09 PM »

A few times during the Divine Liturgy someone's cell phone goes off and it seems like forever before its silenced.  I up my phone on vibrate when I leave for church and once I get in, I shut the phone off just before the Divine Liturgy begins.  I could imagine what our Archbishop would say if a phone rang during a liturgy he was celebrating.  He does test us deacons, sub-deacons and servers, as we vest him before liturgy.  He ask us what time it is and when someone tells him, he politely tells them that they shouldn't be wearing watches.  He also told us we should answer, "We are beyond time."  If he asks us this Sunday I'll be sure to give his answer back...lol

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 04:12:24 PM »

This is 2009 buddy.  Tongue
Is it?  Huh no wonder people look at me funny as I use my "brick" cell phone Shocked
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:13:13 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 05:05:45 PM »

Yeah, we got those Bluetooth devices that look kinda like the Cybus Industries thingies you see every once in a while on Doctor Who. Tongue

http://www.cybusindustries.net/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »

I either leave my phone in the car or put in on silent.

JNORM888

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 08:03:55 PM »

I think there should be cell phone chargers on the back of the pews along with free wi-fi for our laptops. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 08:21:45 PM »

I think there should be cell phone chargers on the back of the pews along with free wi-fi for our laptops. 
What if there are no pews? laugh

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2009, 12:44:47 AM »

Using cell phone jammers is illegal inside the USA, even for Churches.  Most countries allow cell phone jamming.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2009, 01:16:20 AM »

I think that there is way too much rudeness and lack of consideration on the part of many of the cell phone users. I mean if I am on a bus or train trying to read an article, do I really have to listen to the latest loud tantrum about how the credit card companies have cut off her use of the card, or to the latest gossip about the pregnancy of some single mother of bad reputation, etc.? How about giving people a break with all of the stupid loud and annoying talk that we have to suffer through. 
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2009, 01:48:46 AM »

At my parish, it's actually somewhat common for someone's phone to go off, and then for them to answer it AND talk on it during the service!!!

Once the priest answered his phone while hearing someone's confession, and another time at a weekday service the Gospel reading was interrupted because....he had to answer his phone!

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2009, 01:51:44 AM »

I think that there is way too much rudeness and lack of consideration on the part of many of the cell phone users. I mean if I am on a bus or train trying to read an article, do I really have to listen to the latest loud tantrum about how the credit card companies have cut off her use of the card, or to the latest gossip about the pregnancy of some single mother of bad reputation, etc.? How about giving people a break with all of the stupid loud and annoying talk that we have to suffer through. 

I agree, Stanley. Sometimes it reaches heights of complete absurdity, even. The worst case was once, a few years ago, I was on a city bus and we were caught in some traffic. The bus driver was carrying on a very loud, robust  conversation on his cellphone with a friend of his-going into great details about his love life, etc. At one point he proclaimed to his friend, " but I am a VERY private person!". Everyone around me rolled their eyes humourously and I tried to stifle the urge to burst out laughing...cinema-worthy! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:52:42 AM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2009, 01:52:05 AM »

At my parish, it's actually somewhat common for someone's phone to go off, and then for them to answer it AND talk on it during the service!!!

Once the priest answered his phone while hearing someone's confession, and another time at a weekday service the Gospel reading was interrupted because....he had to answer his phone!
Shocked

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2009, 01:55:29 AM »

Wow! I can't believe it! I'm thankful I've never seen anything this bad-at least on the part of the priest at my parish. How could he allow the Gospel reading to be interrupted with a cellphone? Huh At my parish, if anyone dares to so much as shift their feet during the Gospel reading, it is considered improper! Shocked

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2009, 02:08:45 AM »

Yup.  Reminds me of the time a city bus driver commented over the bus's PA system to tell a woman in the back seat that her loud cell phone conversation about an obscene personal subject was most unwelcome. Tongue  I can't tell you how thankful we passengers were to hear the driver announce this.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2009, 02:23:50 AM »

Time to phone the bishop!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2009, 02:26:22 AM »

At my parish, if anyone dares to so much as shift their feet during the Gospel reading, it is considered improper! Shocked
What about snapping your fingers?  I like to keep tempo for the priest sometimes.  Cool

zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2009, 03:13:53 AM »

It was the bishop who was calling!

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2009, 04:22:35 AM »

It was the bishop who was calling!
Well, then, he better answer the phone!  (Many cell phones have built-in caller ID, so your priest probably answered because he already knew it was his bishop calling. Wink)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 04:25:09 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2009, 04:37:59 AM »

I was wondering what people here have experienced in church concerning cell phones. I myself have heard cell phones going off during church services and people answering them!

I've seen a Serbian priest react to this situation by stopping the Liturgy.  He announced that he didn't want the congregation distracted by the phone conversatin and he didn't want the person with the phone to miss out on any of the Liturgy!!!

I've never asked if he has done this again and how it has affected cell phone use in the church.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2009, 04:42:54 AM »

Almost all phones have 'Picture I.D' and it's true! My daughter says 'Bozo the Clown' pops up on her screen every time I call her. I wonder how they did that Huh
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 04:43:52 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009, 08:44:22 AM »

I have specific mp3 music for my ring tones.  If its the priest, its the Trisagon, and if its the archbishop, it is "It is truly meet..."  I told this to my bishop, Sunday, that even if I'm in a meeting at work, they know if they hear "It is truly meet..."  I gotta take that call immediate.  His Eminence got a kick out of that.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 10:27:09 AM »

Select silenced, but leave the vibration on, just in case...

Here's one for Greeks.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_s-kxFhiLysk/SCyJgWnoY7I/AAAAAAAAAXk/csjet3VoQa4/s400/30647-otheoskaikinito.jpg
(Use of cell phones inside the temple blocks communication with God. Please, switch them off.)

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2009, 03:05:28 PM »

When my job used to require me to be on call I had a couple of times when I had to rush out of liturgy to go take calls in a quieter and more private area.  Our matushka is also a pediatrician so she frequently is on call as well.  No one really makes much over a cell going off in our parish as long as it's silenced quickly or the person being called takes it out into the nave.

Some people need to have them.  One of our members is a mortician and on weekends he is on call, he has to have his cell phone on.  Our choir director is a doctor, and he needs his cell phone with him when he is on call.  They tend to keep their cells on vibrate, and go downstairs to make their call so that they don't interrupt the service.

Before I moved, I was a member at a mission without a priest.  A couple of times, the visiting priest's wife was expecting a baby at any time and he kept his cell phone on during the service in case she went into labor.  Luckily, she didn't, so his phone didn't ring.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2009, 05:24:31 PM »

Just remembering that we have an old cell phone hanging from a small noose in the narthex of our church.  Our priest did this to drop a hint about cell phones interrupting services.  Those to whom he wanted his message to apply most ended up not getting the hint, unfortunately.  For us who understand, it's actually kinda funny to see that hanging cell phone every weekend.
Etsi

Jurisdiction: Greek

Always reflecting and reforming.

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2009, 05:35:51 PM »

Unless it is an emergency or your job requires it, cell phones should be silenced and not answered during service, JMHO.  Texting and all that is unnecessary and disrespectful.  Answering a call, take it to the foyer/nave/outside.

I'm shocked to hear that a priest would have a cell phone go off, be answered, and especially talked on during someone's confession!

Babies crying: even Christ said to forbid them not...I would rather have babes in the service and exposed to the same Grace as everyone else.  If the child is just wailing loose, sure take them out and settle them, but to not have Grace for the parent is a bit absurd.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: