OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 07:00:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thou shalt not revile the gods?  (Read 5152 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« on: June 11, 2009, 02:17:46 AM »

I was reading through Exodus this evening in my Orthodox Study Bible and made a note of this verse, as it confused me.  When I tried to look it up online I noticed the numbering was different, so perhaps this is a difference between the Septuagint and the Masoretic Text.

The numbering in the OSB is Exodus 22:27, but in everything online it is Exodus 22:28 -

Thou shalt not revile the gods, nor curse the ruler of thy people.

Most translations use God rather than gods, but I was struck by how odd the commandment seemed if it is in fact for gods.

Can anyone clarify the meaning of the text or the details behind the original language used?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 02:26:06 AM »

The Greek Septuagint has this phrase as θεοὺς οὐ κακολογήσεις (theous ou kakologiseis). The word is definitely gods, not God.

Does the OSB offer any explanatory notes?
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 02:31:45 AM »

Does the OSB offer any explanatory notes?

None whatsoever.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 02:33:20 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 03:50:47 AM »

Psalm 82:1
 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

John 10:34
 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

Psalm 82:6
I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

My bible footnotes say "gods" was used in reference to judges. Newer or modern versions of the bible say "God".
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 03:54:40 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 05:49:05 PM »

There's probably a problem with Elohim again. Elohim means gods and was probably used so as to indicate the Holy Trinity, I'm not sure.

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 05:54:51 PM »

On this page: http://bible.cc/exodus/22-28.htm  if you scroll down to commentaries, it says "gods" means judges or magistrates?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:55:30 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 05:57:52 PM »

There's probably a problem with Elohim again. Elohim means gods and was probably used so as to indicate the Holy Trinity, I'm not sure.
I asked an Orthodox priest this myself in person, "what is the literal translation of Elohim?" He said, "Lords". He also added that it was a reference to the trinity.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:02:39 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: