OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:09:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feast day of Cyril of Alexandria  (Read 1034 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: June 08, 2009, 08:55:52 PM »

I was wondering what was the feast day(s) of Cyril of Alexandria in the various OO churches?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:25:03 PM »

In the Armenian Church there are two days when he is commemorated.  In 2009, they are January 24, where he is commemorated along with St. Athanasius and St. Gregory the Theologian, and October 24, where he is one of 12 theologians being commemorated.  The dates will change slightly from year to year:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,16853.0.html

The rule for the first date may be something like "The third Saturday after Nativity (Jan. 6,)" and the rule for the second date may be something like "The Saturday before the Discovery of the Holy Cross," or "The fourth Saturday after the Cross of Varak," or "The sixth Saturday after the Exaltation of the Holy Cross," or something like that.  It's probably the last one.  I've always wished there was a book available for lay persons which explained how each saint day was calculated.  Maybe some day a book like that will be available.

alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:08:56 AM »

Are their accurate departing dates of the saints that can direct to a feast day especially for them?
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:42:34 AM »

I've heard of a rule that says saints are commemorated on the anniversary of their death.  However, I think there are other factors as well.  For example, the first date above when St. Cyril is commemorated is also the date when two other theologians are celebrated.  The second date has 12 theologians, including him.  They can't all have died on the same date.   Smiley  So I am assuming that there is something else about those two times of the year that make it fitting to remember the prominent theologians of the Church.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 12:53:48 AM »

I have a copy of a church calendar produced by Holy Virgin Mary Coptic Orthodox Church in Los Angeles (www.theotokos.org). They have an index in the back, indicating that the Coptic feast day for Cyril is July 10th. Can Coptic members here confirm this? Also, could someone explain why the feast day of Cyril would be on the July 10th, i.e. what is the significance of that date?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 03:05:01 PM »

The Feast Day of St Cyril of Alexandria, which commemorates his departure, is on 27th June, which makes it 10th July for those churches on the Julian Calendar.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Tags: calendar St. Cyril saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: