Author Topic: Ethiopian Orthodox missions to Australian aborigines  (Read 9435 times)

Offline _Seraphim_

• High Elder
  • May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis
    • OrthodoxMysteries
Ethiopian Orthodox missions to Australian aborigines
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:36:08 PM »
Even since I first encountered the Ethiopian expression of Orthodoxy I have often thought about how much their worship style and ritual reminds me of Australian aborigines. 

When I first was told Orthodoxy had a presence in Australia the first thing I asked about was the native aborigines.  I was told that although there are some aboriginal converts, they are pretty rare… most of the Australian converts being immigrants (which makes sense when you look at the ratio of natives to immigrants in the country).  Another reason for the lack of aboriginal converts is their complete turn-off to all colonialists/Caucasians (due to all the past persecution of indigenous tradition by the Roman Catholics and Protestants in the name of religion).

However, as I learn more about Ethiopian Orthodoxy I am constantly struck by how much their culture is so similar to aborigines.  Its more than just skin color, its their whole connection of rhythm, drum, and dance.

Anyway, I mention all this to pose the question to anyone who can help:

Have there ever been any Ethiopian Orthodox missions to Australian aborigines?
If not, is there any talk of future Ethiopian missions in Australia?

Thanks,
God bless
"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html

Offline Aqlileh Berhan

Re: Ethiopian Orthodox missions to Australian aborigines
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 10:01:56 PM »
Interesting!!

I will pray for this.

I feel that this could work well for this much abused people.

It is shocking the level of hate and abuse that was put on this people.

Offline _Seraphim_

• High Elder
    • OrthodoxMysteries
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 09:35:59 PM »
Interesting!!

I will pray for this.

I feel that this could work well for this much abused people.

It is shocking the level of hate and abuse that was put on this people.

Aqlileh, first of all, welcome to the forum!  :)
So good to have you here!  Your input is much appreciated.

Yes, the aborigines have been so greatly mistreated.  It would be such a blessing for them to have Ethiopians bring the One True Orthodox Church to their native culture. 

Everyone reading this: please pray for the salvation of the aboriginal people... and also for all Ethiopian missions.
+Lord have mercy
"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 02:15:34 AM »

Aqlileh, first of all, welcome to the forum!  :)
So good to have you here!  Your input is much appreciated.

Yes, the aborigines have been so greatly mistreated.  It would be such a blessing for them to have Ethiopians bring the One True Orthodox Church to their native culture. 

Everyone reading this: please pray for the salvation of the aboriginal people... and also for all Ethiopian missions.
+Lord have mercy

Gospode pomiluj......Daj Boze.......stasko/stanislav
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:20:08 AM by stashko »
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline HaileAmanuel

• HaileAmanuel [Amanuel is my Power]
  • He that is greatest among you will be your servant
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 01:24:30 PM »
Dear Brothers,

I hope that you are all well.  I am happy that you are interested in the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Church mission(s).  I just want to add that we should not exclude the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahido Church from such missions.

Anyway, I couldn't find much in such short time, but I hope that this helps.  I will do more research on this important subject.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/relig/enc/stories/s876183.htm

and...

http://www.cnewa.org/ecc-bodypg-us.aspx?eccpageID=7&IndexView=toc

Take care and I will address the contacts in the second link as soon as possible. 

Peace,

haileamanuel
'He who is greatest among you, will be your servant [St. Matthew 23:11].'

Offline _Seraphim_

• High Elder
    • OrthodoxMysteries
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 08:19:28 PM »
I hope that this helps.  I will do more research on this important subject.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/relig/enc/stories/s876183.htm

Thanks for sharing that article... it was encouraging to see official documentation of Ethiopian Orthodoxy's presence in Australia.  Hopefully these communities will be able to reach out to their Aboriginal neighbors in a way that all other Christian missionaries in the past have failed to do.  May the Lord's will be done.
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Offline Aidan

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 02:26:39 PM »
Dear Friends

I was struck by the suggestion about the Ethiopian church evangelising the Australian aborigines

I live in an area of London well known for the large Caribbean community. As a Russian Orthodox I have to travel to a 'posh' part of London to attend liturgy, not a very attractive prospect if you are seeking a religious community and you are poor.I've wondered how these people in particular could be interested in Orthodoxy and it seems to me that the ideal witness would be from one of the 'Oriental Orthodox' to come and live here and start prayer meetings or such.

In Christ

Aidan

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 02:32:33 PM »
One of the Ethiopian Orthodox priests in London is actually a Jamaican convert, and has other West Indian converts among his parishioners.

Offline paul2004

• Paul
  • Elder
  • OC.net
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 06:08:25 PM »
Church being universal, any Orthodox church can do such mission work. I do not understand why only the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.

-Paul

Offline _Seraphim_

• High Elder
    • OrthodoxMysteries
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 11:14:37 PM »
Church being universal, any Orthodox church can do such mission work. I do not understand why only the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.

Another reason for the lack of aboriginal converts [to Orthodoxy] is their complete turn-off to all colonialists/Caucasians (due to all the past persecution of indigenous tradition by the Roman Catholics and Protestants in the name of religion).

However, as I learn more about Ethiopian Orthodoxy I am constantly struck by how much their culture is so similar to aborigines.  Its more than just skin color, its their whole connection of rhythm, drum, and dance.

Hopefully [the Ethiopian Orthodox] communities [in Australia] will be able to reach out to their Aboriginal neighbors in a way that all other Christian missionaries in the past have failed to do.  May the Lord's will be done.

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Offline Didymus

• Peace and grace.
  • High Elder
  • St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 01:43:33 AM »
G'day mate!

I completely agree! As an Aussie who is very fond of Ethiopian Orthodoxy, I can see so many similarities between the two cultures. (For those who don't know if it weren't for the Patriarchal dispute and some Divine direction otherwise, I had hoped to join the Ethiopian Church. Nonetheless I ended up joining the Coptic Church.)

There is a Coptic Mission in Darwin in the Northern Territory known as the Church of St. Mary, St. Moses the Mighty and St. Tekla Haimanot.
(St. Moses the Mighty is otherwise known as St. Moses the Black. St. Tekla Haimanot is arguably the greatest saint Ethiopia has produced in the last thousand years.)

It seems to me as though the Ethiopians first need to consolidate themselves within Australia though.

Their largest community is in Melbourne but sadly, there is a dispute amongst them there regarding who the lawful Patriarch is. Obviously, so long as this situation persists missionary activities will be complicated.

Recently discovered an Ethiopian African Restaurant in Brisbane and enjoyed quite a nice fasting meal there. Wore my Ethiopian cross along but nobody said anything. Later on I found out that it's run by Muslims :(
Does anybody know if there is one around run by Christians please? Thank you.

P.S. I should mention that the Deacon of our local Coptic Mission at Ningi has two foster children who are (partly) Indigenous. They are both baptised Orthodox Christians.

~~~A Note on Racial Sensitivities & Language~~~
It is considered disrespectful by many to refer to Indigenous Australians as "aboriginees" as this word means "natives" and has a connotation of inferiority attached to it.
The word "aboriginals" does not exist as English does not have plural adjectives.
The term Aboriginal people (note the capital 'A') is accepted by many as it uses an adjective to acknowledge the specific group of people although a minority still seem to see it as an oppresive term.
The term Indigenous Australians is prefered by most both from what I've observed and been taught by Indigenous people at university.
Amongst their own or those familiar with them, many terms are used which would be considered offensive if used by an outsider (eg. abo, blackfella, etc).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 01:59:22 AM by Didymus »
...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.

Offline Didymus

• Peace and grace.
  • High Elder
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 01:45:32 AM »
One of the Ethiopian Orthodox priests in London is actually a Jamaican convert, and has other West Indian converts among his parishioners.

Do you mean Fr. Brahana Selassie? He is a wonderful priest indeed.

Offline Amdetsion

• Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
  • High Elder
  • HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 11:03:57 AM »
G'day mate!

I completely agree! As an Aussie who is very fond of Ethiopian Orthodoxy, I can see so many similarities between the two cultures. (For those who don't know if it weren't for the Patriarchal dispute and some Divine direction otherwise, I had hoped to join the Ethiopian Church. Nonetheless I ended up joining the Coptic Church.)

There is a Coptic Mission in Darwin in the Northern Territory known as the Church of St. Mary, St. Moses the Mighty and St. Tekla Haimanot.
(St. Moses the Mighty is otherwise known as St. Moses the Black. St. Tekla Haimanot is arguably the greatest saint Ethiopia has produced in the last thousand years.

It seems to me as though the Ethiopians first need to consolidate themselves within Australia though.

Their largest community is in Melbourne but sadly, there is a dispute amongst them there regarding who the lawful Patriarch is. Obviously, so long as this situation persists missionary activities will be complicated.

Recently discovered an Ethiopian African Restaurant in Brisbane and enjoyed quite a nice fasting meal there. Wore my Ethiopian cross along but nobody said anything. Later on I found out that it's run by Muslims :(
Does anybody know if there is one around run by Christians please? Thank you.

P.S. I should mention that the Deacon of our local Coptic Mission at Ningi has two foster children who are (partly) Indigenous. They are both baptised Orthodox Christians.

It is considered disrespectful by many to refer to Indigenous Australians as "aboriginees" as this word means "natives" and has a connotation of inferiority attached to it.
The word "aboriginals" does not exist as English does not have plural adjectives.
The term Aboriginal people (note the capital 'A') is accepted by many as it uses an adjective to acknowledge the specific group of people although a minority still seem to see it as an oppresive term.
The term Indigenous Australians is prefered by most both from what I've observed and been taught by Indigenous people at university.
Amongst their own or those familiar with them, many terms are used which would be considered offensive if used by an outsider (eg. abo, blackfella, etc).

Good post!

Sorry for the late response.

I beleive that this subject deserves some more discussion.

It was a surprise to see my fellow conrgegant and brother Aqlileh Berhan participating.
"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7

Offline _Seraphim_

• High Elder
    • OrthodoxMysteries
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 11:48:17 PM »

Didymus, thank you very much for helping us to understand the proper way to address the Indigenous Australians... the subject doesn't really come up a lot in the U.S.  ;)
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Offline _Seraphim_

• High Elder
    • OrthodoxMysteries
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 11:54:49 PM »
G'day mate!

I completely agree! As an Aussie who is very fond of Ethiopian Orthodoxy, I can see so many similarities between the two cultures...

Well said.  It seems that Orthodoxy worldwide is currently in the process of consolidating itself from within, strengthening and uniting the ancient strongholds of Orthodoxy in preparation for truly global missionization into all cultures and peoples.  It is truly an exciting time to be alive... to see the potential for so much unity and growth which never before had so much opportunity to be made manifest.

+May the Lord's will be done.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 11:56:51 PM by _Seraphim_ »
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Offline Amdetsion

• High Elder
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 05:00:45 PM »

Well said.  It seems that Orthodoxy worldwide is currently in the process of consolidating itself from within, strengthening and uniting the ancient strongholds of Orthodoxy in preparation for truly global missionization into all cultures and peoples.  It is truly an exciting time to be alive... to see the potential for so much unity and growth which never before had so much opportunity to be made manifest.

+May the Lord's will be done.

I am in constant prayer for this unity. It is only a matter of time.

The indigenous people of Australia needs the hope of the Holy Church. These people have been under severe tyranny and utter hopelessness even unto this hour.

It is shocking that in so many places in the world Europeans have distributed so much carnaige and distruction to previously settled peoples and civilizations. I should not be shocked; but I am.

I am not trying to embarass Europeans or paint a bad picture of them. But this is the truth and must be said to really speak openly about why the true Austrailians are in need of salvation in Christ even after all these long, hard years with the 'homemade...colonial style...protestant' christian religions right in their back yards. They have done nothing for them or themselves or for these peoples spiritual growth and nothing at all to undo the nightmare that their ancestors heaped onto them and especially the innocent Indeginous people.

The efforts I have read about adds up to nothing compared to the massive loss and current ongoing strife there which the world seems to ignor.

I recently saw an expose' on the youth of the indeginous people there. Their lives are nothing but drugs and drinking due to so much apathy toward a nation that is to them "cursed" by "outsiders" who "piledged" the land and "destroyed hope" for them. Amazing! while the whites and others who are of a priviledged class live as thought they have the right to be well off and living good off the the spoils of their ancestors....off the backs of suffering people while praising God at the same time...

I have nothing against white Austrailians or any other foreign people living in that country; but who will answer for atrocities on the innocent of that land?

Or has this been answered already?

These people are really not like Ethiopians unless you mean that they have various "Africanish" ways and customs akin to what you would find in Ethiopia or maybe Africa in general.

Donot be misled; I love these people like myself and I am proud of them. I make this statement to make a point. ...

They certainly have the same apearance. But Ethiopians are Christians by and large. WE can in this way be of benefit to them. But in this way we could help any group of people or nation; and so can anyone else.

The Holy Church has "no respect of persons". Although in the Orthodox 'Churches' today such is quite the norm.

You see it all the time. Greeks with Greeks, Copts with Copts, Armenians with Armenians and so on. This is "respect of persons" plain and clear. Which is a blatant disregard for Christs' commandments.

But WE have a good excused for this behavior...right!

You see in America multitudes of bishops heading a multitude of "churches". This should not be. America must recieve the Holy Church Universal and Orthodox just llike each of our countries received it. But that is not what happened. Sadly  the Orthodox church in America is divided over the various 'national' groups which keep apart form each other to 'preserve' some deep love for the heritage of thier respective motherland and pass this 'heritage' on to the children. All this in a fruitless attempt to remain with our "Ethiopian" or Eritrean" or "Indian" Orhtodox identity. Just to name a few of us....but I mean all of us!

Where is the mission of Christ and His Holy commission to "preach the Gosple to all the world and baptising in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit?

ALL OF OUR "CHURCHES" SHOULD BE BUSY WITH MISSIONIZING TO THE INDEGINOUS AUSTRAILIANS AND AMERICANS AS WELL AS THOSE WHO LIVE AND MAKE THE LAND OF THESE INDEGINOUS PEOPLE THEIR COUNTRY AND HOMELAND. WE SHOULD BE DOING THIS UNDER ONE BANNER..THE HOLY UNIVERSAL CHURCH.

When did Christs' Holy Church become a "culture club" (of sorts)?

The indeginous Austrailians need to have salvation in Christ. Christs' Holy Church is made just for them and all of the worlds abused and disenfranchised who have been pushed down by those who are thirsty for the world and its glory but at the same time make 'mouthings' and 'jestures' of love of God in Christ and fellow man.

WE must ALL reach out to ALL people who need the church and stop dwelling in this state of 'culturally adapted holiness' which is isolation. We must start to live in the light of true unity and love as One Church One faith in the foriegn lands where we dwell. I fear that God will (is) punish us for our slackness on this matter.

It would be better to just go back to our respective countries (if we love them so much) then continue to misuse the the gift of grace in the way we are keeping the faith in these foriegn lands.

I will pray for the unity.

We should all pray for this...

Lord have mercy on us all.

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7

Offline Didymus

• Peace and grace.
  • High Elder
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 10:33:41 AM »
Thank you for your kind words Deacon Amdetsion and _Seraphim_ .
Agreed about this exciting time yet sadly we also see many new divisions- the calendar dispute, splinter groups related to communism and post-communism and so forth. This was displayed amongst the Ethiopians in Melbourne by their confussion about who their lawful Patriarch is.

Didymus, thank you very much for helping us to understand the proper way to address the Indigenous Australians... the subject doesn't really come up a lot in the U.S.  ;)

Funny that ;) Sure you're "Red Indians" would object if we used an offensive term for them though too right mate?
~~~

Did I mention that there are two young Indigenous children baptised at our local (Coptic) mission? They are foster children though I hope their Indigenous mother (who is smowhat mentally slow) may come to the Church eventually.

Deacon Amdetsion, our newly elected Prime Minister apologised to the Indigenous peoples, specifically to the "Stolen Generations" (those who were forcibly removed from their families and raised by white families under a former policy of intergration).

We mean that several of the Indigenous peoples (they were about 200 countries) have customs or cultural manners similiar to those found in Ethiopia or elsewhere in Africa. Whilst the Church has no respect of persons, persons without the Church certainly do.

In many ways, Australia is still a divided society. I was speaking to some recent imigrants the other day and already (having been here just one week) they have heard about the suburb of Brisbane where a large number of Indigenous people live and have been told to avoid it! How are we supposed to unite when attitudes like this prevail? Just a few weeks ago I was out in the street and a man walked passed talking about how we should shoot aboriginees like crocodiles (his words though not an exact quote)! Up until 1986 here in Queensland (a rather backward state culturally) we did just that under the name of "dispersion parties" (that is, if white men paid by the government shoot at Indigenous gatherings then they will disperse). Mainly for this reason, the fact that you do look similiar and have an ancient heritage of Christianity it is your Church which has the greatest potential to connect with them. The troubles your own nation suffered in the War with the Italians may be another point where you may relate too.

Here around Brisbane the Coptic Church gets on quite well with the Ethiopian and Eritrean communities. They even gave the Ethiopians a seldom used Church to pray in and are looking for one for the Eritreans who currently pray with them.

May I please say that, in relation to what you said about the Church in America (as much as it also applies here in Australia), it is not necessary for an individual parish to give up its historical roots to be received into a national Church. A few days ago I saw a programme on television about Europe in the early 20th century. They mentioned many places from Norway to Italy, from Breton in France to the Balkans. One place they mentioned was a village in Macedonia where, about the 1920s, one could often find two brothers where one would say he was Serbian whereas the other would say he was Bulgarian. This was because there were two Churches in that village which spoke different languages and often marriages occurred between them. My point is, the Church is catholic and just as the Apostles recited different liturgies and preaches in different tongues, so too there is no reason why a Church in one land must entirely conform to a set standard language and liturgy as those it were the personification of that nation's culture. If the nation is multi-cultural then it only makes sense for the Churches to likewise be multi-cultural. Nonetheless, I do think that the labeling of our Churches confuses the ignorant into thinking we're not one Orthodox Church. (Once the schism is healed it would be much easier again to explain this.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe confussing one's culture with the catholic Christian Faith is a declared heresy. Can anyone confirm or deny this please?

You sound very zealous. Have you considered coming out here yourself to assist with missionary activities? (I realise this would require numerous permissions to be granted and other organisational issues would be involved but still, have you thought about it at all?)

+Lord have mercy on us all and unite the Church- Amen.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 01:24:48 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe confussing one's culture with the catholic Christian Faith is a declared heresy. Can anyone confirm or deny this please?

I imagine that you're thinking of phyletism.
"The publican’s prayers overcame God, although God is invincible. Nineveh was saved by its tears from the impending ruin caused by its sin.” (St. Jerome, Letter 16.1)

Offline Amdetsion

• High Elder
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 02:21:01 PM »
Thank you for your kind words Deacon Amdetsion and _Seraphim_ .
Agreed about this exciting time yet sadly we also see many new divisions- the calendar dispute, splinter groups related to communism and post-communism and so forth. This was displayed amongst the Ethiopians in Melbourne by their confussion about who their lawful Patriarch is.

Funny that ;) Sure you're "Red Indians" would object if we used an offensive term for them though too right mate?
~~~

Did I mention that there are two young Indigenous children baptised at our local (Coptic) mission? They are foster children though I hope their Indigenous mother (who is smowhat mentally slow) may come to the Church eventually.

Deacon Amdetsion, our newly elected Prime Minister apologised to the Indigenous peoples, specifically to the "Stolen Generations" (those who were forcibly removed from their families and raised by white families under a former policy of intergration).

We mean that several of the Indigenous peoples (they were about 200 countries) have customs or cultural manners similiar to those found in Ethiopia or elsewhere in Africa. Whilst the Church has no respect of persons, persons without the Church certainly do.

In many ways, Australia is still a divided society. I was speaking to some recent imigrants the other day and already (having been here just one week) they have heard about the suburb of Brisbane where a large number of Indigenous people live and have been told to avoid it! How are we supposed to unite when attitudes like this prevail? Just a few weeks ago I was out in the street and a man walked passed talking about how we should shoot aboriginees like crocodiles (his words though not an exact quote)! Up until 1986 here in Queensland (a rather backward state culturally) we did just that under the name of "dispersion parties" (that is, if white men paid by the government shoot at Indigenous gatherings then they will disperse). Mainly for this reason, the fact that you do look similiar and have an ancient heritage of Christianity it is your Church which has the greatest potential to connect with them. The troubles your own nation suffered in the War with the Italians may be another point where you may relate too.

Here around Brisbane the Coptic Church gets on quite well with the Ethiopian and Eritrean communities. They even gave the Ethiopians a seldom used Church to pray in and are looking for one for the Eritreans who currently pray with them.

May I please say that, in relation to what you said about the Church in America (as much as it also applies here in Australia), it is not necessary for an individual parish to give up its historical roots to be received into a national Church. A few days ago I saw a programme on television about Europe in the early 20th century. They mentioned many places from Norway to Italy, from Breton in France to the Balkans. One place they mentioned was a village in Macedonia where, about the 1920s, one could often find two brothers where one would say he was Serbian whereas the other would say he was Bulgarian. This was because there were two Churches in that village which spoke different languages and often marriages occurred between them. My point is, the Church is catholic and just as the Apostles recited different liturgies and preaches in different tongues, so too there is no reason why a Church in one land must entirely conform to a set standard language and liturgy as those it were the personification of that nation's culture. If the nation is multi-cultural then it only makes sense for the Churches to likewise be multi-cultural. Nonetheless, I do think that the labeling of our Churches confuses the ignorant into thinking we're not one Orthodox Church. (Once the schism is healed it would be much easier again to explain this.)

You sound very zealous. Have you considered coming out here yourself to assist with missionary activities? (I realise this would require numerous permissions to be granted and other organisational issues would be involved but still, have you thought about it at all?)

+Lord have mercy on us all and unite the Church- Amen.

Didymus;

I am troubled by your response.

I am not sure what you are talking about; I am sorry.

Why does what "we" look like have anything to do with missionizing to the true-Austrailians?

I know that "they" would not want to take anything more from the White people of that country than they have to and for good reason.

White people had (has) spoiled the reputation of the Christian faith to such a degree that many American Blacks needed ot have "their own" "Churches" or religions.  Many have moved into other religions and cults. All to try and escape the hatred and abuses of Whites. It is sad.

The Ethiopian Church came to American to missionize among the African Americans for this reason by the grace of the Holy Spirit. That mission (though now all but gone) will be 50 years old in 2009.

Currently there are more Orthodox African Americans within the Greek, Coptic and Antiochan (OCA). Almost no African Americans are in the Ethiopian Church in American today. Consider that in 1959 when the Ethiopoian Church was formerly organized and chartered 97 to 100% of the faithful were American born or African American. It is good to know that African Americans are regaining interest in the true Church. But it bothers me that they are not findng the Ethiopian Church as the place to go for 'the' orthodox faith.

But it goes as I feel that anyone who can preach the gosple of the true faith which is orthodox.

African Americans today are not (necessarily) looking for "blackness" but are seeking the ancient and true faith. They are today going where they can get it. I know two African Americans that left the Ethiopian Church just this year. One is in the Russian and one is in the Coptic.

This is why I strongly feel that we all must serve America with one tradition so that we can strenghten each other.

Offline Didymus

• Peace and grace.
  • High Elder
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 02:14:22 PM »
Asteriktos, is there anything more ancient that you could refer to please? Unless that article you linked to is under-informative, I'm fairly sure that is something more ancient.

Deacon Amdetsion, with all due respect, you seem to mistakenly think that Australia is not a racist country. Many Australians are still extremely racist.

A broad section of the community is willing to speak about hating either Germans, the Japanese or even the Turks (all due to the Wars) quite candidly. Likewise, many people of European descent still actively hate the Indigenous peoples of this great land and resent the fact that they were here first and yet did not 'use' the land as we are taught in school.

The Indigenous peoples have often been betrayed by Europeans as well and so a spirit of mistrust has arisen. As such, they would be able to relate to the way that the Italians mistranslated a document in an attempt to trick the Ethiopians into signing their country over to them.

It is wonderful that African Americans are seeking the true Faith yet in Australia this is not the case. The Indigenous people are not seeking the true Faith. Rather, they would be more likely to embrace support offered to them by people not of European descent (or Asian descent either as they also have been troubled by regional distrubances). So either Africans or Native Americans would be the peoples most likely to be accepted amonst the Indigenous Australian communities.
(So you're aware, I made contact with a black convert to the Russian Church in England via Facebook though he's disappeared lately for some reason ??? He seemed like a lovely faithful person.)

I agree that the Faith should be preached as one united Orthodox Christian Faith yet we have many rich and diverse traditions which I believe should be maintained. Personally, I see no reason why one Church must pray exactly as the next when there are such a variety of liturgies available.

Peace be with you and let us pray for the unity of our Church and for all First Nations.

Offline Amdetsion

• High Elder
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 02:37:42 PM »
I thought I clearly indicated tfrom my posts ( although I did not say directly) that Australia is a bitterly racist country? WE all know that.

I beleive that the natives of that country will be redeemed.

God will not let this kind of human suffering simply just exist.

God will have the last act in the matter.

So I guess the oppressors will continue to enjoy the spoils and complaining about the innocent natives who are getting in 'their' way.

I will pray that we can achieve a mission of some kind there.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 06:37:59 AM »
Sorry for digging up an old thread but you might find this interesting even though it's not about Ethiopian but Russian missions:

An Orthodox Church for Australian Aborigenes

As the fifteenth anniversary of the glorification of St John of Shanghai was commemorated on 4 July, in Australia a new church dedicated to the saint was consecrated. Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of the Church Outside Russia, consecrated the church for Australian aborigenes. Fr Seraphim, the only Aborigene Orthodox priest in Australia, began his mission to his kinfolk in March 2008. Fr Seraphim came to the Orthodox Faith through reading the life of St John.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:38:39 AM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Fr James

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 07:42:24 AM »
Sorry for digging up an old thread but you might find this interesting even though it's not about Ethiopian but Russian missions:

An Orthodox Church for Australian Aborigenes

As the fifteenth anniversary of the glorification of St John of Shanghai was commemorated on 4 July, in Australia a new church dedicated to the saint was consecrated. Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of the Church Outside Russia, consecrated the church for Australian aborigenes. Fr Seraphim, the only Aborigene Orthodox priest in Australia, began his mission to his kinfolk in March 2008. Fr Seraphim came to the Orthodox Faith through reading the life of St John.

Glory to God!

May Fr Seraphim see many many baptized/Chrismated new Orthodox sons and daughters through the prayers and intercessions of the Theotokos, St Mary.

May the Lord increase His vineyard and bring outward unity to all who are already unified through communing the True Blood and True Body of Christ Jesus our Lord.

May the prayers of Fr Seraphim be with us.

James+
Servant.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 02:09:27 PM »
Perhaps one step towards Orthodox Christian unity and the eradication of racism is to recognize that we are all Africans. We are all children of Adam and Eve, whom God created in the Garden on Eden- in Africa, in ETHIOPIA! Thus we all have African blood flowing through our veins, regardless of the color of our skin. The sooner we realize this reality, the sooner we will attain unity and oneness in Christendom and in the world.

Those of us who belong to the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Faith desire Christian unity and the salvation of all mankind. Although we struggle with our own internal divisions, we nevertheless recognize the purity of our Tewhedo doctrine and revere the historical origins of our Faith. Shall Ethiopian Christians defer to newer versions of Christianity? Shall the only truly Judeo-Christian nation in the world bow in subservience to novel interpretations of the Christian Faith? Shall our Church which protects the Ark of the Covenant and the Cross of Christ allow others to interpret Christian theology for us?

We are not arrogant Christians. We do not see ourselves as better than our fellow Orthodox believers. But we are protective of our Church and our Faith. We seek Christian unity, and we believe that this unity will be the result of a return to affirming the oneness of Our Lord's nature. We dare not compromise the pure Tewhedo Faith that the courageous Fathers stood up to defend at Chalcedon. May their persecutions and noble spiritual fight never be in vain.

When Queen Makeda sought out the wisdom of Solomon, she accepted the true monotheistic faith of Israel. She in turn brought this Faith to the Ethiopian people who gladly embraced it. Centuries later, when the devout Ethiopian eunuch was traveling to Jerusalem to worship, Philip the Apostle proclaimed the Gospel of Our Lord to him. Immediately the Ethiopian eunuch accepted Our Lord and asked to be baptized. Subsequently he returned to Ethiopia preaching the Holy Gospel, and in short time the Ethiopian people became Christians.

What other nation and people can trace their Christian Faith from the Garden of Eden - to Solomon and Sheba - to the Ark of the Covenant - to Philip the Apostle - to the present day? The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church is the oldest and purest repositor of authentic Christian Faith and Apostolic Teaching.

Where was perfection on earth? It was in the Garden of Eden, in Ethiopia. So if we desire unity and peace, should we not turn our hearts and minds back to the Garden? Do we not pray facing East, from where Our Lord said that He shall return like lightning?

Peace and Love to all my Orthodox Christian brothers and sisters!

Selam   
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 07:04:26 PM »
Perhaps one step towards Orthodox Christian unity and the eradication of racism is to recognize that we are all Africans. We are all children of Adam and Eve, whom God created in the Garden on Eden- in Africa, in ETHIOPIA!

Any proofs? I've heard theories that Adam and Eve were Poles (very popular theory in baroque in Rzeczpospolita), that Eden was in Babylon/East Asia, that Jesus went to America. Each nation likes to find connections to Bible, some Polish noble families have their genealogical tree linked to Theotokos but we cannot frankly say that it is true and our nation is better.

I'm aware that first people came from Africabut we cannot say that our nation is chosen by God because we can't interprete God's thoughs.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 07:18:33 PM »
Perhaps one step towards Orthodox Christian unity and the eradication of racism is to recognize that we are all Africans. We are all children of Adam and Eve, whom God created in the Garden on Eden- in Africa, in ETHIOPIA!

Any proofs? I've heard theories that Adam and Eve were Poles (very popular theory in baroque in Rzeczpospolita), that Eden was in Babylon/East Asia, that Jesus went to America. Each nation likes to find connections to Bible, some Polish noble families have their genealogical tree linked to Theotokos but we cannot frankly say that it is true and our nation is better.

I'm aware that first people came from Africabut we cannot say that our nation is chosen by God because we can't interprete God's thoughs.

I don't think I said Ethiopia was chosen by God or that it is a better nation than others. But clearly God has guided and preserved Ethiopia in mystical ways. I'm sure many other nations and peoples can say the same. That's the point; if we truly know our history and know our God, then we will know ourselves. And true self knowledge will never produce either a superiority or an inferiority complex. The true recognition of the Gospel message will always drive us to love our fellow man and unite with him in drawing nearer to Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx