OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 12:38:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: deusveritasest's theory on adulthood and reflections on criminal law code  (Read 1375 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: June 07, 2009, 09:51:01 PM »

I'm wondering why they referred to him as a "17-year-old man"? 17 years old is hardly adulthood. It's getting close, but I don't think most 17-year-olds are really at an adult level of maturity. On top of that it's simply not legal adulthood. I think "17-year-old boy" would be more accurate and not seem an attempt to stretch the truth to be able to try him as an adult.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:33:49 PM »

I'm wondering why they referred to him as a "17-year-old man"? 17 years old is hardly adulthood. It's getting close, but I don't think most 17-year-olds are really at an adult level of maturity. On top of that it's simply not legal adulthood. I think "17-year-old boy" would be more accurate and not seem an attempt to stretch the truth to be able to try him as an adult.
It depends on the crime. In this case it was heinous and ended in death. Typically, crimes like these force prosecuters to try the offending teenager as an adult. Nothing novel.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 10:35:39 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:39:57 PM »

It depends on the crime. In this case it was heinous and ended in death. Typically, crimes like these force prosecuters to try the offending teenager as an adult. Nothing novel.

I don't understand how/why they are "forced" to try the offending teenager as an adult.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:43:44 PM »

I don't understand how/why they are "forced" to try the offending teenager as an adult.
Um..in this case, the gravity of the crime? Especially being so close in age to becoming a legal adult.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 11:49:14 PM »

Um..in this case, the gravity of the crime? Especially being so close in age to becoming a legal adult.

And why does the gravity of a crime committed by a minor indicate that the minor should be tried as an adult rather than tried as a minor having committed a grievous crime?

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 12:11:05 AM »

This topic was split from a prayer request about a baby who was allegedly raped and murdered by a 17 year old:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,21706.msg328912/topicseen.html#top

The topic of whether babies go to heaven was split off and put in the Faith Issues Section:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,21716.0.html

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 12:13:05 AM »

Because as a minor, he might just get a slap on the wrist and several weeks of detention. As an adult, a long prison term with not so nice people.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 12:13:24 AM »

His extensive prior criminal record would make them more likely to try him as an adult---to make sure that this dangerous person is never in a position to harm anyone again.

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 12:14:11 AM »

Thank you, Salpy, for that information.

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 12:15:14 AM »

His extensive prior criminal record would make them more likely to try him as an adult---to make sure that this dangerous person is never in a position to harm anyone again.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. Crucial criteria that cannot be overlooked.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 01:41:18 AM »

Because as a minor, he might just get a slap on the wrist and several weeks of detention. As an adult, a long prison term with not so nice people.

Wouldn't shifting the penalties for crimes committed by minors be much more reasonable than pretending that it is somehow OK to put someone on trial as an adult who is clearly not an adult in the legal realm?

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 02:01:12 AM »

Totally agree.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: