OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 01:03:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bible usage  (Read 3096 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: November 07, 2002, 12:25:45 AM »

Hi Friends,

What in your opinion(or fact?) is the best bible to use for study?

I currently own a copy of the Latin vulgate, the Orthodox Study Bible, and a KJV bible.I love the Orthodox study bible, and I can't wait until they release the OT.

I feel like I need something a bit more comprehensive. Also if anyone can recommend some good bible references that you may have found insightful or helpful.

Luv,
Bobby

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2002, 12:38:21 AM »

Best Bible Ever (in English anyways): http://www.buenavistaco.com/GOC/HRDPUB.HTM#Scripture
Hope you like it too. God Bless!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 01:29:06 AM »

Nicholas thank you very much for the link Smiley  I have to see if I can scrape together a few sheckels here.  I currently have two which are NIV and then I have the Orthodox study Bible(this one of course is my favorite).  I am looking forward to the OT version which should be out soon I believe.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 01:34:40 AM »

I personally use the New Oxford RSV bible. Easy to read, but traditional in translation. I also sometimes use a Latin Vulgate for a more literal translation.

Isn't the Orthodox Study Bible NKJV? Why would they use a bible with butchered psalms and inclusive language when they have a plethora of bibles that are much better translated?

Bobby
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2002, 02:01:47 AM »

I checked and the copyright for the NKJV they used in the Orthodox study bible was 1982.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
moronikos

Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2002, 11:36:25 AM »

The choice for the NKJV was that it was a modern translation and it used the Byzantine textual family (Textus Receptus).  All other modern translations (RSV, NIV, NASB) use the Alexandrian texts.  The Alexandrian texts have parts missing.

For the Psalms, the NKJV uses the Masoretic text.  In the center column references, the OSB notes where the NKJV differs from the Septuagint.  Some people object to "You" being used instead of "Thou" in the Psalms when addressing God.  I prefer "Thou" myself, but for an accurate modern translation, "You" would be correct since the Biblical languages don't use any special pronouns to address God.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2002, 10:34:12 PM »

For my Non-chalcedonian friends,

At St. Vartan's bookstore they have: The Holy Bible Armenian Church Edition.  Its number of pages leads me to believe it is more a lectionary, but I'm sure the commentary would be good for any Oriental Orthodox, or anybody else for that matter.

http://www.armenianchurch.org/resources/bookstore/index.htm

In Christ,
Lance
« Last Edit: December 02, 2002, 10:38:04 PM by Lance » Logged

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
mousethief

Would you buy a used guitar from this man?

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2002, 04:39:01 AM »

Since when is the NKJV inclusive language? Are you sure you haven't confused it with the NRSV?

Reader Alexis

Seraphim Reeves
Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2002, 10:36:16 AM »

Alexis,

Since when is the NKJV inclusive language? Are you sure you haven't confused it with the NRSV?

I was thinking the same thing.  As far as I knew, the notorious "inclusive language" Bible was the NRSV, not the NKJV.  As far as I can tell from my Orthodox Study Bible, which uses the NKJV, this version doesn't pander to p.c. renderings of the sacred text.

On a related note however, the RCC in Canada uses the NRSV in it's missal (ugh.)  Of course, I'm sure this is something beyond Rome's power to fix (since all such liberalisms are acts of disobedient clerics and low level heirarchs, and don't reflect the pristine orthodoxy of the Papacy) Smiley

Seraphim - who also notices that the NAB in recent years (another official RC translation) has suffered politically correct revisions.

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2002, 11:15:55 AM »

Seraphim,

When the NRSV came out the Canadian Bishops Conference rushed this lectionary to the press before Rome even reviewed the text.  After Rome reviewed the text it was refused for use in the lectionary.  However, since Canada already distributed the NRSV lectionary (and seemingly destroyed all their RSV lectionaries?) an indult was allowed for Canada only to use it until the texts could be corrected.

Meanwhile in the US, the RSV, NAB, and Jerusalem Bible were all appporved for lectionary use until last year, when the Vatican corrected Revised NAB become mandatory.  The NRSV and NJB are not approved.  The Vatican went throught the Revised NAB and took out the inclusive language.

However, the above rules only apply to the Latin Church.  My Ruthenian Metropolia uses the original NAB for its lectionary, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

In Christ,
Lance

Seraphim Reeves
Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2002, 12:34:01 PM »

When the NRSV came out the Canadian Bishops Conference rushed this lectionary to the press before Rome even reviewed the text.  After Rome reviewed the text it was refused for use in the lectionary.  However, since Canada already distributed the NRSV lectionary (and seemingly destroyed all their RSV lectionaries?) an indult was allowed for Canada only to use it until the texts could be corrected.

Of course, this begs the question; if this type of translation is in fact unacceptable in Rome's eyes, why allow an "indult" for it at all?  Since when can one allow a sweeping indult for what borders on heterodoxy (even, at least according to the books, in Rome's eyes)?

Rome at this point in time reminds me of a weak supervisor on a job sight (to use a common man's example, and very much germaine to my experience); very good at bossing around and even harassing those whose disposition is to be humble and obedient, but absolutely gutless when it comes to dealing with the unruly employees who are intent on doing whatever they damn well please (and who know full well the boss doesn't have any guts to do anything about their tardiness.)

Meanwhile in the US, the RSV, NAB, and Jerusalem Bible were all appporved for lectionary use until last year, when the Vatican corrected Revised NAB become mandatory.  The NRSV and NJB are not approved.  The Vatican went throught the Revised NAB and took out the inclusive language.

Obviously, in America there is a (slightly) more cooperative crowd.  Sadly, my point stands.  Canada in my experience stands somewhere between the U.S. and continental Europe in regard to it's "liberalism" (in the RC milieu).

Seraphim

moronikos

Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2002, 12:53:15 PM »

Seraphim,

I agree with your sentiment, however, could we stick to discussing Bible usage.  We are digressing off the topic into what is wrong with the RCC.

Does anybody know if the New Jerusalem Bible contains inclusive language?

As for the NRSV, it does have inclusive language.  Bishop Tikhon (OCA) wrote that he thought the NRSV ought to be burned.  He wrote that it had enough good in it that it should be burned rather than thrown directly into the trash, but enough objectionable things in it that it ought not to be used.
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2002, 01:10:06 PM »

The New Jerusalem Bible does have inclusive language but from a quick glance at key passages it is horizontal not vertical and key titles like Son of Man have not been changed into child of human like the NRSV has done.  In fact it is probably better than the uncorrected Revised NAB.  While I prefer the original JB, I would not reject using the NJB, as I would the NRSV.

In Christ,
Lance

James the Just
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2002, 03:47:05 PM »

When I get the time to compare daily readings I use the Jerusalem Bible, Ryrie Study Bible (KJV) and the Douay- Confraternity Bible which is very close to the KJV. They all add to the understanding of the scripture for me.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2002, 04:23:11 PM »

Dear Jacomus,

Is there any way you could email me the first two chapters of Genesis from the Douay-Confraternity Bible?  I have a copy that's pretty good, except that for whatever reason the first page was torn out, so I need those chapters.  I'd really appreciate it.  

Also, how do you deal with the difference in names between the Douay/Confraternity versions (which use the Latin spelling; for example, Abdias or Sophonia) and other translations of the Bible (which use the Hebrew spelling; for example, Obadiah and Zephaniah)?  I like my Confrat. volume (it's a hardcover, so I can set it down on a table and read it), but because of this problem with the Latin spellings and me not wanting to get confused and at the same time not having enough leisure time to read things twice, I use an RSV-CE, but it's a paperback.  Might seem like a minor problem, but for me it's kind of annoying.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
James the Just
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2002, 06:34:43 PM »

Alas, Brother Mor Ephrem, unlike most of the forum, I am a PC klutz. However you can go to www.tc.umh.edu/~joela/mrk/douay.html

The Douay & Vulgate on online.

Yes, the names and such get confusing at times but I live with it. The Douay/Confraternity Bile was given as a gift in 1964 from my mother.

Peace in Our Lord Jesus Christ
Tags: Bible 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: