OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 09:53:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Myrrh in liturgy  (Read 1555 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: June 06, 2009, 05:31:45 PM »

I was wondering which of the liturgical churches still use myrrh in their censing during the liturgy, rather than simply frankincense?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 06:41:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure it is used by at least someone.  I think I have seen myrrh incense advertised a few different places.  This is one place:

http://www.holylandnetwork.com/catalog/Holy_Biblical_Incense-64-1.html

Here is another:

http://orthodoxincense.com/holymountain.html
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:42:59 PM by Salpy » Logged

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 08:04:32 PM »

Isn't it usually used at funerals? (How about Holy Friday?  Huh )

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 08:08:27 PM »

I don't know about censing, but it is used in chrism and unction, and the WRO imbed myrrh in the Paschal candle.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 01:51:28 AM »

The thing is that I've noticed that every time I go to a Coptic service, the smoke from the incense smells noticeably distinct from any other Christian liturgical tradition. I was told that this was because the other traditions simply use frankincense whereas the Copts mingle frankincense and myrrh. This may or may not be true. Does anyone know why the incense used in Coptic churches would be noticeably different from that which is used in Byzantine, Roman, and Anglican churches (between which three the incense doesn't seem to vary so much)?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 02:56:28 AM »

Gold Musk incense from Cal Hellas, up in Cupertino, is very popular in Coptic churches here in California.  It's a bit expensive and it gives a lot of smoke, but the smell is beautiful.  That may be what you smelled.  My priest used it for a while, but the smoke was too much.  We sell it at our church bookstore, though.  It's very popular.  Cal Hellas used to have a website, but something happened to it.  Conciliar Press, though, carries some of their incense, including the gold musk:

http://www.conciliarpress.com/other-gifts/prayercorner/gold-musk-incense-1-ounce.html

You may want to get a little bit and see if that is what you smelled.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 03:06:20 AM by Salpy » Logged

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 12:34:32 PM »

Cool. Thanks Salpy. I'll update once I've gotten around to trying it.

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 02:03:25 PM »

I know in the EO, the incense we use changes week to week depending on the season/feast/priest's preferance.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 03:44:11 PM »

I know in the EO, the incense we use changes week to week depending on the season/feast/priest's preferance.

Really? I thought it was almost always frankincense.

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 09:26:07 AM »

I am not endorsing, as a matter of fact I don't endorse this group and recommend you do not purchase anything from this un-canonical group. The following link I am providing is to HTM's page on incense which explains how it is made from frankincense.

Our incense is compounded of fragrant oils and a base of pure ground frankincense. It is made by hand, cut into small pieces and cured for several months, after which time the incense is dry and ready for use. The scent is best released by placing the pieces alongside of (rather than on top of) a lighted charcoal.

http://www.thehtm.org/catalog/index.php?cPath=38&osCsid=275a3d92996455c7a6e26f9fa1302dbd

You will see that the incense is made from frankincense but that oils to give it unique fragrance.

Joseph
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 10:34:02 AM »

I am not endorsing, as a matter of fact I don't endorse this group and recommend you do not purchase anything from this un-canonical group.

Goodness gracious, Arimethea.  I bet you don't eat oatmeal because it's sold by Quakers.   Cheesy

There was a thread on buying things from HTM:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19455.0.html#top

Tags: incense Coptic Orthodox Church bookstore 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: