OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:01:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Change Your Name?  (Read 15798 times) Average Rating: 0
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2009, 09:12:03 PM »

There can't be that much red tape.  People change names all the time after getting married or adopting a child.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2009, 09:45:26 PM »

How did this get dredged up?
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2009, 09:54:43 PM »

How did this get dredged up?

How does any five year old thread get dredged up?

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
AMM
Archon

« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2009, 09:58:28 PM »

Sorcery.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2009, 10:38:16 PM »

Necromancy, to be precise.

AMM
Archon

« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2009, 11:35:48 PM »

Precisely.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2009, 08:00:35 PM »

Maybe threads are like the seventeen year cicadas only with a shorter hibernation time 
 Grin

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
theotokos

Faith: former muslim want to be an orthodox

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2009, 03:10:06 AM »

I live in Turkey and my parents are Muslim. Therefore I've a Muslim name-which is Zeynep. I used to be a Muslim but two years ago I became a Christian since then I read the Holy Bible and pray everyday. I didn't get baptised yet because of my age, but now I can because I'm 18 and allowed to convert religions.
What I wonder is, when I get baptized I'd like to get the name "Despina" but I'm Turkish too, so is it ok if i get a Turkish but not Muslim name as well as Despina?

ἡ ἀγάπη ἀνυπόκριτος. ἀποστυγοῦντες τὸ πονηρόν, κολλώμενοι τῶ ἀγαθῶ·
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2009, 03:36:48 AM »

I live in Turkey and my parents are Muslim. Therefore I've a Muslim name-which is Zeynep. I used to be a Muslim but two years ago I became a Christian since then I read the Holy Bible and pray everyday. I didn't get baptised yet because of my age, but now I can because I'm 18 and allowed to convert religions.
What I wonder is, when I get baptized I'd like to get the name "Despina" but I'm Turkish too, so is it ok if i get a Turkish but not Muslim name as well as Despina?

Thank you for sharing that wonderful testimony of your Faith in Christ! "Despina" sounds very beautiful. What does it mean?

I pray for your continued growth and strength in the Christian Faith. I'm sure you have experienced many trials and tribulations already, but Christ and His Church will always be there for you.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2009, 03:39:33 AM »

Welcome to our forum, Despina!  (I hope you don't mind my calling you by that name).

You have made your first post and question here at a time that is very late night or very early morning here in the North America (from where most of us, but certainly not all, post ). Hence, replies may be few for a few hours.
While I might offer advice it is really best for you to seek out an Orthodox priest for proper answers, especially as you live in Stambool. We do have a new member here who is a convert living in Izmir and he made be able to offer some local advice.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
theotokos

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2009, 03:42:49 AM »

Thank you for sharing that wonderful testimony of your Faith in Christ! "Despina" sounds very beautiful. What does it mean?
I pray for your continued growth and strength in the Christian Faith. I'm sure you have experienced many trials and tribulations already, but Christ and His Church will always be there for you.
Selam

Thanks a lot for the warm message! I really appreciated it.
According to the ancient authors Despina was the daughter of Demeter and Poseidon, worshipped at Arcadia in the Peloponnesus. Pausanias gave us a mythical story, which was known by the people of Thelpousa and Figalea. They said, that the event happened, when Demeter came to Arcadia, looking for her lost daughter Persephone. When Poseidon pursued her, the goddess turned herself into a mare and hid herself between the herds, but unfortunately Poseidon discovered her trick. He changed himself into the form of a stallion and begot upon her a daughter and later on even a famous mythical steed sprouted of her body. Despina(Δέσποινα) means miss, damsel or queen in Greek.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2009, 03:47:39 AM »

And is also a version of "Theotokos", as you apparently already know.  Smiley

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
theotokos

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2009, 05:42:19 AM »

Welcome to our forum, Despina!  (I hope you don't mind my calling you by that name).

You have made your first post and question here at a time that is very late night or very early morning here in the North America (from where most of us, but certainly not all, post ). Hence, replies may be few for a few hours.
While I might offer advice it is really best for you to seek out an Orthodox priest for proper answers, especially as you live in Stambool. We do have a new member here who is a convert living in Izmir and he made be able to offer some local advice.

I sure don't mind that! I'm happy that you do Cheesy I'm looking for an Orthodox priest. I registered to the Turkish forums too, but hey kicked me out just because I had the same ip with my friend(that's because I'm going online from her DSL). They thought that she was creating fake accounts.  Cry
And also there's other thing, Greek Orthodox Church(Ecumenical Patriarch) doesn't baptize Turks in Turkey, so I've to go abroad to get baptized. Sad

theotokos

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2009, 05:46:46 AM »

And is also a version of "Theotokos", as you apparently already know.  Smiley

Yes, dear..that's the reason I want to have that name, and that's why my nick name is that too. angel

Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2009, 06:18:47 AM »

And also there's other thing, Greek Orthodox Church(Ecumenical Patriarch) doesn't baptize Turks in Turkey, so I've to go abroad to get baptized. Sad

That's a pity! Sad And can the Bulgarian Orthodox Church baptize Turks in Turkey?
theotokos

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2009, 06:26:45 AM »

That's a pity! Sad And can the Bulgarian Orthodox Church baptize Turks in Turkey?

Bulgarian Church is still under the Ecumenical Patriarch. They don't baptize. That's because they had major problems with some Turks getting baptized in the church, because they just convert to throw dung on orthodoxy..
I don't know if that's real or not, but that's what they say.

Posting modified to change English slang profanity word to a word appropriate to this forum---Thomas, Convert Issues Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:45:27 AM by Thomas » Logged

LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2009, 06:35:01 AM »

Despina(Δέσποινα) means miss, damsel or queen in Greek.

A small correction: Despina means lady or mistress (the feminine of master). Despinis (derived from despina) means miss, damsel, young or unmarried woman. Queen in Greek is vasilissa.
theotokos

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2009, 06:43:11 AM »

Oh, thanks a lot for correcting me angel I appreciated it!

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2009, 07:17:46 AM »

Bulgarian Church is still under the Ecumenical Patriarch. They don't baptize. That's because they had major problems with some Turks getting baptized in the church, because they just convert to throw shit on orthodoxy..
I don't know if that's real or not, but that's what they say.

Who exactly are the "they" in "they say?"  Is there a reason why said Turks went to the Bulgarians as alleged and not the Greeks or the Arabs? Of are you saying the EP won't baptize.

MIchal: how did the Bulgarians get into this?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:29:37 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
theotokos

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2009, 07:29:21 AM »

Who exactly are the "they" in "they say?"  Is there a reason why said Turks went to the Bulgarians as alleged and not the Greeks or the Arabs?
Ecumenical Patriarch states that Turks whom joined the greek orthodox church, were aiming to prove that Islam is the real religion, and throw dung at Christianity.
I'm sorry but i didn't understand what you were trying to ask on the rest of your comment. Excuse my poor English please. angel

Moderator changes an English slang profanity to one that is appropriate for use on this forum---Thomas, Convert Issues Forum
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:48:02 AM by Thomas » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2009, 07:48:31 AM »

Who exactly are the "they" in "they say?"  Is there a reason why said Turks went to the Bulgarians as alleged and not the Greeks or the Arabs?
Ecumenical Patriarch states that Turks whom joined the greek orthodox church, were aiming to prove that Islam is the real religion, and throw crap at Christianity.

So it is a policy of the Phanar?  Given the dangers, I can see.  In Egypt we don't have that policy (EO or OO) on baptism, but because we don't have that problem (the likelihood of getting killed doesn't make the appeal as great to "prove us wrong."  The Muslim Brotherhood frowns on that).  Many end up immigrating to some place safe. There is a policy about avoiding being flashy about it (a charismatic priest was moved when he openly targeted Muslims and converted 500 of them).

You might try to see if the Russian congregations would be better in Constantinople: they are still under the EP, but have more leeway.  The Turkish government is not keen on tangling with Russians. (maybe PM Fr. Ambrose/Irish Hermit).

I'm sorry but i didn't understand what you were trying to ask on the rest of your comment. Excuse my poor English please. angel

LOL. Better than my Turkish (though I do the Turkish reading at Agape).

I was just confused about the Bulgarian etc.  You set it straight.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2009, 01:35:46 PM »

I sure don't mind that! I'm happy that you do Cheesy I'm looking for an Orthodox priest. I registered to the Turkish forums too, but hey kicked me out just because I had the same ip with my friend(that's because I'm going online from her DSL). They thought that she was creating fake accounts.  Cry

I've met Turks who were baptized by the Ecumenical Patrairchate in Turkey.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
theotokos

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2009, 07:32:23 AM »

I've met Turks who were baptized by the Ecumenical Patrairchate in Turkey.
When were they baptized, and were they Greek origined?

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2009, 01:11:42 AM »

This is most awful to hear about!  I am so sorry that the situation is that bad in Turkey, that you are not trusted to be baptized!  So they would never baptize you under any circumstances?  Or can you be baptized after 'proving loyalty' for some time?  Baptism is a necessary part of salvation!
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2009, 01:30:31 AM »

Wasn't a Catholic priest, an Italian Franciscan, killed in Izmir about 3 years ago for baptizing a young Muslim?   And also a Croatian Catholic priest?

It obviously takes courage to change from Muslim to Christian and places the priest in danger as well..  I applaud your courage and shall pray for your safety and well-being.
theotokos

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2009, 03:35:20 AM »

Wasn't a Catholic priest, an Italian Franciscan, killed in Izmir about 3 years ago for baptizing a young Muslim?   And also a Croatian Catholic priest?

It obviously takes courage to change from Muslim to Christian and places the priest in danger as well..  I applaud your courage and shall pray for your safety and well-being.

Yes, those kind of tragic stuff happens. And I can imagine how'd you think about religious freedom in Turkey. I sometimes feel like that too.  It really depends on where you live and who your friends are and your social life. Unfortunately, there are some not-educated people in Turkey that they believe in whatever they hear. But they forget one important thing, they consider themselves as Muslim, but a real Muslim would be tolerant for all people from all races and religions. In Quran it says:

Among the People of the Book are some who, if entrusted with a hoard of gold, will (readily) pay it back; others, who, if entrusted with a single silver coin, will not repay it unless thou constantly stoodest demanding, because, they say, "there is no call on us (to keep faith) with these ignorant (people)." But they tell a lie against Allah, and (well) they know it. 3.The Family Of Imran (75)

Quran says Christians are good people too, but some people just don't know it, or they ignore that fact. So, normally there are really nice people here who respect Christians and our faith too, but some are too that they hate us.
It says in the New Testament; But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.(Matt5:39)
So I'm willing to face what ever happens here..

theotokos

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2009, 03:38:16 AM »

This is most awful to hear about!  I am so sorry that the situation is that bad in Turkey, that you are not trusted to be baptized!  So they would never baptize you under any circumstances?  Or can you be baptized after 'proving loyalty' for some time?  Baptism is a necessary part of salvation!

I know that's a pity. I think I can get baptized after proving loyalty, I don't really think that they can be that strict about that. Well, also it's not a problem for me to go abroad, but I'd love to get baptized in my own country. angel

Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2009, 06:10:30 AM »

No Christian priest has been killed in Izmir so far. An Italian priest was shot to death by a youngster in Trabzon (a city along the Northern coast), another priest of the Roman Catholic Church was stabbed in Samsun (another city along the Northern coast), and some Protestant missionaries (Germans and a Turkish convert) were killed (their throats being severed) in a religious bookstore in Malatya (a city in Anatolia).

In Izmir we had only two cases of assault: A Slovenian priest was targeted by some fanatic youngsters at the church gate (they grabbed him by his neck and made his head hit the gate a few times). An Italian priest was stabbed (wounded) by a young man who was outrageous because the priest would not baptize him!

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Clancy Boy

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2009, 05:08:16 AM »

At what point during the baptism or chrisimation is the name of one's patron saint supposed to come up?  I think my son and I might have both been baptized William without knowing it.  I had picked someone completely different but no one asked me  Huh
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2009, 05:13:59 AM »

At what point during the baptism or chrisimation is the name of one's patron saint supposed to come up?  I think my son and I might have both been baptized William without knowing it.  I had picked someone completely different but no one asked me  Huh

Right at the end of the baptismal service. The patron saint of the newly-baptised is mentioned in the commemorations at the dismissal.
Clancy Boy

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2009, 05:18:18 AM »

Right at the end of the baptismal service. The patron saint of the newly-baptised is mentioned in the commemorations at the dismissal.

That's what I thought.  I think that part might have gotten skipped.
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2009, 04:20:02 PM »

Срђан,

I am of Serbian background. I am able to help with your name.

Your name is based on the word "srditi", which has to do with anger or being angry.

I hope this helps.

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: