OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 10:00:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How a baptize father is chosen?  (Read 1359 times) Average Rating: 0
theotokos

Faith: former muslim want to be an orthodox

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« on: June 04, 2009, 03:38:40 AM »

I'm a Christian but I'm not baptized. I hope I'll get baptized when I join to an Greek Orthodox church. I say Greek orthodox church, Because those are the only ones we have in Constantinople (or Istanbul).
I know that when a baby is baptized some one volunteers to be a baptize father(I don't know if it's translated in English. I just directly translated from Turkish. Excuse my poor English.) of that kid. I'm 18 years old, how is my baptize father is gonna be chosen? Is that person gonna be from the church?  Huh

May Jesus Christ be with you.
Regards,
Zeynep -from Istanbul-  laugh

ἡ ἀγάπη ἀνυπόκριτος. ἀποστυγοῦντες τὸ πονηρόν, κολλώμενοι τῶ ἀγαθῶ·
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 04:07:28 AM »

The English word you are looking for is 'godfather'.

Yes, the godfather must be a member of the Orthodox Church. Because it his responsibility to help you learn how to be a good Christian.

Normally, an adult chooses their own godfather (when infants are baptized, the birth parents choose the god parent). When you begin going to a church, you will get to know the people there. You find one who you respect, who you think will be a good example to you, and then you ask them to be your godfather.

Edit: My apologies, I just realized from the other thread that you are a woman. Normally, your godparent is the same gender as yourself. So you would be looking for a godmother rather than a godfather.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 04:09:59 AM by witega » Logged

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
theotokos

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:41:16 AM »

Oh, yeaa.. Godmother! There was a cartoon called Fairly Godparents  laugh I remembered. Thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciated it! Wink

Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 05:45:30 AM »

I say Greek orthodox church, Because those are the only ones we have in Constantinople (or Istanbul).

You also have a Bulgarian one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgarian_St_Stephen_Church.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 05:53:29 AM »

Isn't there an another Turkish Orthodox christian in this forum? Maybe theotokos could try contacting him/her since there would be no language barrier.

theotokos

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 06:00:46 AM »

I say Greek orthodox church, Because those are the only ones we have in Constantinople (or Istanbul).

You also have a Bulgarian one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgarian_St_Stephen_Church.

Yes but that's too far away from my home..and I don't know Bulgarian but I know some Greek.

theotokos

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 06:03:10 AM »

Isn't there an another Turkish Orthodox christian in this forum? Maybe theotokos could try contacting him/her since there would be no language barrier.
I heard that there's some one from Izmir... but I'm not really sure.
Forgive me if I'm being rude, but can you please reply to my topic about iconography? I'm really confused about that.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 07:53:06 AM »

Theophilos78
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2712

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: baptize  Father  orthodox  church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: