OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 01:11:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Distinction of properties in the Trinity  (Read 1161 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: June 03, 2009, 08:06:54 PM »

I posted this thread on Monachos as well, but I didn't get much of a response there. I figured it would be worth it to post it here as well.

I'm wondering how is it that we reconcile the fact that there is a distinction of properties between the three persons of the Trinity with the idea that they are supposedly completely one in essence?

How is it that the Father is ungenerate, while the Son is generate, and yet we understand that they are completely one in essence?

And why is it that we do not rather say that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are of a highly similar substance, differing only in the few properties we know of them to be distinct?

Where and how do we draw the seeming line between properties of a type of ousia and the properties of hypostases? I.e. why is the generate nature of the Word designated as a property of hypostasis rather than a property of ousia? What is the fundamental difference that establishes the grouping of properties?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 11:17:51 PM »

I thought that EkhristosAnesti addressed this very well in another response:

I've come to learn that the existence of paradox is the quintessential standard by which the Orthodoxy of any given theory/principle is measured. The pursuit to resolve paradox is in turn the hallmark of heresy.

Or, to quote some Fathers
"We have learned that there is a difference between begetting and procession, but the nature of the difference we in no wise understand." -- St. John of Damascus

"You ask what is the procession of the Holy Spirit? Do you tell me first what is the unbegottenness of the Father, and I will then explain to you the physiology of the generation of the Son, and the procession of the Spirit, and we shall both of us be stricken with madness for prying into the mystery of God."

I've noticed a tendency among many Western Christians to think that in defining the Trinity as 3 Hypostasis with 1 Ousia, the Fathers had somehow logically resolved the paradox that God is 1 and God is 3 and to move from there to attempts to understand the difference between Ousia and Hypostasis in logical terms (i.e., your question). However, for the Nicean-era Fathers, Hypostasis and Ousia were synonyms. The Hypostis/Ousia distinction was useful for defending the revelation of the Trinity not because it explained away the paradox but because it enshrined it. The Fathers could have as easily reversed the terms and it would have meant the same thing--God is distinctly 3 and He is indivisibly 1 and the how 1=3 is not something we can understand. The 3 properties (Ungenerate, Begotton, Proceeding) belong to the 3 Hypostasis because it has been revealed to us that the Father is without beginning, the Son is Begotten of the Father, and the Spirit proceeds from the Father, so just as we know there are 3 persons, we know each possesses one of these properties. But that is something that is revealed to us, not something any Father reasoned out.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:02:52 PM »

I posted this thread on Monachos as well, but I didn't get much of a response there. I figured it would be worth it to post it here as well.

I'm wondering how is it that we reconcile the fact that there is a distinction of properties between the three persons of the Trinity with the idea that they are supposedly completely one in essence?

How is it that the Father is ungenerate, while the Son is generate, and yet we understand that they are completely one in essence?

And why is it that we do not rather say that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are of a highly similar substance, differing only in the few properties we know of them to be distinct?

Where and how do we draw the seeming line between properties of a type of ousia and the properties of hypostases? I.e. why is the generate nature of the Word designated as a property of hypostasis rather than a property of ousia? What is the fundamental difference that establishes the grouping of properties?

According to St. Gregory of Nyssa, in the same way that we understand that you are "man" and I am "man" and my next door neighbor Selma is "man."  There is one essence, or nature, of man, but different persons within the one essence.   As St. Gregory pointed out, just as Adam, Eve, and Seth are one in the essence or nature of man, yet only one of these three was not generate from another human being (Adam).  The other two are generated from another human being.  Of course, St. Gregory pointed out its obvious limits with regard to the fact that one is creature and the other creator that we are discussing, and also the degeneration of human nature from the fall, and the obvious other limits of the analogy.  Also, of course, Adam still had an origin, but not a human origin.  God the Father has no origin.  Nonetheless, it is sufficient to show 3 persons of one essence.     
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 06:28:25 PM »

I've come to learn that the existence of paradox is the quintessential standard by which the Orthodoxy of any given theory/principle is measured. The pursuit to resolve paradox is in turn the hallmark of heresy.

Excellent definition.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 06:28:49 PM »

According to St. Gregory of Nyssa, in the same way that we understand that you are "man" and I am "man" and my next door neighbor Selma is "man."  There is one essence, or nature, of man, but different persons within the one essence.   As St. Gregory pointed out, just as Adam, Eve, and Seth are one in the essence or nature of man, yet only one of these three was not generate from another human being (Adam).  The other two are generated from another human being.  Of course, St. Gregory pointed out its obvious limits with regard to the fact that one is creature and the other creator that we are discussing, and also the degeneration of human nature from the fall, and the obvious other limits of the analogy.  Also, of course, Adam still had an origin, but not a human origin.  God the Father has no origin.  Nonetheless, it is sufficient to show 3 persons of one essence.     

Thank you! That was actually a very helpful analogy.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 07:15:11 PM »

Excellent definition.

I agree. Very well put!

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Tags: theology Trinity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: