OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 11:16:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Churches in Chicago?  (Read 1722 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« on: June 01, 2009, 11:01:53 PM »

This may seem like a silly thread, but I have a friend in Chicago who would like to attend a divine liturgy sometime as an inquirer, but I have no idea where to send him.  I guess I would like him to be exposed to something more traditional, i.e. bearded clergy, no HERETICAL pews.  Services in at least partial English would be a plus, but whatever.  I was just wondering if there are any notoriously awesome churches in Chicago I should send him to.  I am overwhelmed by the options!

Thanks!
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:14:16 PM »

St. Volodymyr Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
2238-50 West Cortez Street
Chicago, IL 60622

...but, it does have pews.  Churches are at a premium in Chicago, and you buy what is available and tailor it to your needs.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:17:27 PM »

Well, there's Holy Trinity Church, nearly 120 years old and the seat of Abp. Job.

http://www.oca.org/DIRlisting.asp?SID=9&KEY=OCA-MW-CHIHTK

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 12:57:53 AM »

Well, there's Holy Trinity Church, nearly 120 years old and the seat of Abp. Job.

Why are there two OCA "cathedrals" in Chicago, if in fact there is only one bishop's throne in the city?
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 02:11:14 AM »

I guess I'll send him to Christ the Savior Church.  It seems like a good 'middle of the road' option in terms of size and accessibility.
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 03:58:39 AM »

Christ the Savior is a good choice, I really miss my old parish. No pews, bearded clergy, a traditionalist aesthetic without the scariness of overt dogmatism, a good mix of converts and cradle Orthodox, services completely in English, and a parish small enough that you can befriend all the regulars within an after-service coffee hour or two.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:00:08 AM by CRCulver » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 05:08:24 AM »

There's a Antiochian Orthodox church At La salle St. And Oaks st...in chicago Has no pews only folding chairs if you need one..Litugies are in english...

Theres also a new calendar greek orthodox church with a organ and pews. on the same side of the street.
the greek one is north of oak st. on la salle st. the antiochian  is south of oak st.on la salle st.... very very close to each other....
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 05:11:06 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:23:32 AM »

All Saints Church, the parish of yours truly.
http://www.allsaintsorthodox.org/
No pews (we took them out.  We mused about having a bondfire, but decided to donate them to some needy Protestants), all beards (though the deacons' is more a gotte), Fr. Patrick Reardon (famous or infamous depending on who you ask).  All English.  Adult Sunday School year round after DL (and coffee, of course).

Also the birthplace of Ancient Faith Radio.
http://ancientfaith.com/
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:31:27 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 10:28:05 AM »

Why are there two OCA "cathedrals" in Chicago, if in fact there is only one bishop's throne in the city?

History: the other one, St. George, made a stipulation when it joined up that it remain a cathedral (it was some splinter group after the Revolution).  I can see it (and Holy Trinity, and the two UGCC SS Olha and Volodymyr and St. Nicholas from the rooom where I am typing this right now.  St. George sort of became the immigrants Church, especially after immigration picked up.

Speaking of history, I think I posted how Christ the Savior became Orthodox here somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:28:48 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 10:49:15 AM »

I would certainly have to agree that All Saints is a good choice for an inquirer since the majority of the parish is converts, very few cradles.... They are also probably one of the most knowledgable congregations on Orthodoxy in the city. In addition, their outreach is tremendous, they've sent more missionaries than all the Chicago churches combined!

As far as Holy Trinity and Christ the Savior, having extensive experience with both, I cannot recommend either one. The people at Christ The Savior are somewhat unfriendly, especially some of the choir folk. The only positive is that the majority of the congregation is young people or college students. As for Holy Trinity, the people there are majorily old and generally less friendly, and the church itself is probably going to cease to exist in the next 2 years due to less than competent management by the Priest, and Parish Council.

-Nick
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:51:24 AM by admiralnick » Logged

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 04:36:10 PM »

Christ the Savior is nice; my brother goes there and I liked it when I went there. I've only been to a few churches in the Chicago area, the other three being All Saints (mentioned by ialmisry), Holy Resurrection Serbian Cathedral (has pews), and Holy Virgin Protection Cathedral (under ROCOR; it's really nice there but the services are done only in Slavonic).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:36:59 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 05:02:19 PM »

There is a orthodox church on i believe paulina Ave ,just south of division st ..across from the police station..Does anybody know what church that is,i pass it by many times, it never seem to be open for business,,,anybody knows about it....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 11:03:17 PM »

There is a orthodox church on i believe paulina Ave ,just south of division st ..across from the police station..Does anybody know what church that is,i pass it by many times, it never seem to be open for business,,,anybody knows about it....

That's St. George Cathedral, mentioned above:

http://www.saintgeorgecathedral.net/images/s11_newcorner.jpg
http://www.saintgeorgecathedral.net/

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 11:08:43 PM »

There's a Antiochian Orthodox church At La salle St. And Oaks st...in chicago Has no pews only folding chairs if you need one..Litugies are in english...

Theres also a new calendar greek orthodox church with a organ and pews. on the same side of the street.
the greek one is north of oak st. on la salle st. the antiochian  is south of oak st.on la salle st.... very very close to each other....

No, this is Christ the Saviour (OCA). The bishops residence is there. The Greek Church is Annunciation Cathedral.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 11:15:45 PM »

Thanks Isa ...It seem like its always closed...I thought they went out of business ,i never see people going inside or  standing in front of it ever....do they enter from the back....also is it old or new calendar...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:16:36 PM by stashko » Logged

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 11:24:05 PM »

Thanks Isa ...It seem like its always closed...I thought they went out of business ,i never see people going inside or  standing in front of it ever....do they enter from the back....also is it old or new calendar...

I believe New Calendar, but I can be wrong: I've been there several times, but never outside of Lent, and not recently (though I was near it today and could see the cupulas from the window).  The neighborhood is not the best, despite the police station across the street.  I've known several people there, so yes, it is a functioning parish, mostly Russian immigrants now I understand.  But I know a fairly young couple who go there, and they are American.

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 11:44:43 PM »

In Ukrainian and Russian traditions, large cities may have more then one cathedral. A handful of large monasteries has (2) cathedrals.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 12:04:05 AM »

Dear Alveus Lacuna, I respect your right for your point of view.

Additionally, I highly commend your intent to introduce your friend to Orthodoxy.

But... Personally, I love pews. I admire them! LOL.

As for beards, it should be a very personal right for each particular priest or deacon to decide for himself. My first spiritual advisor did not wear a beard. He was a real servant of God, a person of an extraordinary spirituality and kindness. Fr. Mykola served as a priest for (60+) years, (41) year of these were under nazi and communist persecution. My understanding is that it can be very possible that some of these years were even spent in communist jail for our Faith. Difficult to estimate, how many souls Fr. Mykola brought to Christ. For me it was a huge blessing to meet him.

Such saintly, prominent priests in this country as Fr. Bogdan Zhelehivsky, Fr. Emmanuel Gratsias and Fr. Nifon Abraham did not wear beards. All of those listed already reposed in Lord. The list can be extended a lot. I just mentioned a handful.

Again, I respect your right for your opinion. But the importance of pews and beards goes behind trietary.

As for location of parishes, these sources will really help:
http://www.scoba.us/directory.html
http://www.orthodoxyinamerica.org/lr_v10/locator.php

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 12:14:39 AM »

and the church itself is probably going to cease to exist in the next 2 years due to less than competent management by the Priest, and Parish Council.

Hopefully, things will turn around. This parish, Holy Trinity Cathedral, has such a wonderful history. One of the major cornerstones of Orthodoxy in Midwest and not only in Midwest.

On an optimistic note, there were cases of parishes in various jurisdictions when situations did not look good. But then parishes became significantly improved. In some cases, a process required a new team.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 12:36:13 AM by Starlight » Logged
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 01:05:51 AM »

But the importance of pews and beards goes behind trietary.

Clarification of my own statement. I am certainly 100% for pews. Beards are a very personal matter, as it has been said. The importance of a right for the clergy to make a choice matters a lot.

The importance of the Faith is essential.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 03:29:47 AM »

As for beards, it should be a very personal right for each particular priest or deacon to decide for himself. My first spiritual advisor did not wear a beard. He was a real servant of God, a person of an extraordinary spirituality and kindness. Fr. Mykola served as a priest for (60+) years, (41) year of these were under nazi and communist persecution. My understanding is that it can be very possible that some of these years were even spent in communist jail for our Faith. Difficult to estimate, how many souls Fr. Mykola brought to Christ. For me it was a huge blessing to meet him.
Honestly, do you really want to open up those cans of worms here? Wink
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 03:42:59 AM »

Pews. Headcoverings. Chalcedon. Beards. Female Ordination. Homosexuality. Old Calendar. New Calendar. Fasting. Catechism length. Western Rite. Old Believers.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 03:55:15 AM »

Starlight didn't open it up, the op did by saying he wanted to find a church in Chicago that had bearded clergy.  Maybe point the finger at the op and not Starlight who was merely just making a point in response to the op on the bearded clergy issue. 

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 04:14:38 AM »

Starlight didn't open it up, the op did by saying he wanted to find a church in Chicago that had bearded clergy.  Maybe point the finger at the op and not Starlight who was merely just making a point in response to the op on the bearded clergy issue. 
Why not point the finger at both for the point-counterpoint? Wink
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 01:28:59 AM »

Hey kiddos!  I was just joking about pews being HERETICAL.  Beards are certainly secondary.  I only mentioned those things to add to the "shock" factor in terms of what he was used to seeing.  If this friend ever gets around to going to a service, it might be the only one he ever sees.  So I was mostly concerning with his initial encounter being as traditional and 'different' as possible.  Nothing against beardless priests. 

But I will always have a problem with those spectator benches!  They prevent bows and prostrations; they murder physical piety!  They are the product of an overly cerebral Christianity; one that is unbalanced (hence unOrthodox) in its emphasis.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone.  PEWS!
Tags: Chicago 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: