OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 03:52:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Common confession?  (Read 849 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: May 31, 2009, 11:39:09 PM »

Talking with some older parishioners the other day who have been members of the church here since its inception in the 1960s, they claimed that one of their priests would occasionally do common confessions, similar to what Catholics and other High Church Protestants do before the actual Liturgy of the Word begins.  Does this happen in other parishes?

To me, this would encourage people not to partake of mystery of confession and absolution.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 02:10:57 AM »

In my diocese there used to be such a custom but I do not know how it looked like. It was banned by the Bishop a few years ago.

Now during the Paschal Matins (at night) one, who confessed during the Great Lent can go to the Priest, receive an absolution without confessing and participate in Holy Eucharist.

no longer posting here
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 02:34:09 AM »

Talking with some older parishioners the other day who have been members of the church here since its inception in the 1960s, they claimed that one of their priests would occasionally do common confessions, similar to what Catholics and other High Church Protestants do before the actual Liturgy of the Word begins.  Does this happen in other parishes?

To me, this would encourage people not to partake of mystery of confession and absolution.

Catholics do not do a common confession before the liturgy of the word begins as you write.
First off, they may say the "I confess to almighty God" but the priest isn't giving absolution.. it's supposed to be asking God to forgive you, something you should be doing outside of confession anyway.. And the I confess to Almighty God and the prayer of the priest saying "May almight God have mercy on you, forgive USour sins and bring you to eternal life" is part of the Liturgy of the Word, not the beginning of it.

There are actually several options as to what to do at this point in the Mass and the "I Confess" is just one of them.

Totally seperate from private confession. 

It's not like the Polish National Catholics or some other Protestants who have their minister/priest actually give the absolution for the sins of the people.. ie, it would count as a private confession if they had it.  I know the PNCC near here required people under the teen years to go to private confession however the adults are exempt because of the absolution given after the "I Confess" prayer during the Liturgy of the Word.

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 03:26:59 AM »

I have heard of cases of General absolution being given. I know of a priest currently uses the practice, and I know of another priest who mentioned the practice was used at one of the two seminary's he attended.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 03:47:01 AM »

I'm pretty sure that the Copts do it.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags: confession 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: